Women's History Month was made official in 1987 and has been proclaimed a celebration in the month of March by presidents since 1995. During this month, we commemorate the countless contributions and achievements of women in the United States. And in an effort to smash the patriarchy, we celebrate Women's History Month with pride.
This year's theme: Refusing to Be Silent. A theme that is wildly relevant. With women still making 82 cents for every dollar paid to men, we still have work to do.
Before Women's History Month officially ends, we wanted to share some businesses pouring back into women this month and beyond. This is your friendly reminder to always support women in all ways.
1.Phenomenal Woman Brand
What started as a t-shirt line is now a movement heralded by thousands of women. Meena Harris, Vice President Kamala Harris' niece, began partnering with organizations to bring awareness to world issues. By coining powerful statements like Phenomenally Black and Pro-Science/Pro-Dolly, the Harvard grad has managed to use graphic tees to fight the power for underrepresented communities. Phenomenal Woman is giving back in an innovative way by using bite-size messages to push the culture forward and change the world. Every campaign is linked to a cause that empowers women globally.
Over at Able, they proclaim, "Your purchase matters because it allows us to empower women. 96 percent of our employees are women." This ethical fashion brand's mission is to empower women so that we can end poverty. Because they are committed to breaking the cycle of poverty and helping women thrive, they invest in, train, and educate women so they can earn a living. Able started making scarves in Ethiopia and is now a lifestyle brand made up of jewelry, shoes, leather handbags and more.
During Women's History Month, Haverhill is pouring back into women with yet another capsule. The two-piece collection consists of a 14K gold necklace and bracelet handcrafted in the USA and engraved with the female gender symbol. With the Venus collection, Haverhill has pledged to donate 10 percent of the purchase price to Catalyst, a global nonprofit collaborating with some of the world's most powerful CEOs and leading companies to build workplaces that work for women. Their thought leadership focuses on four areas: Advancing Women, Women and the Future of Work, Lead for Equity and Inclusion and MARC (Men Advocating Real Change).
A portion of the proceeds of every order from Azura Bay goes to one of three organizations selected by the founder, Ashley. You can choose at checkout and one of the choices is "Because I am a Girl". BIAAG is an initiative run by Plan International and their mission is to end gender inequality and promote girls' rights. There are a "wide range of programs to improve the status of girls and give them equal access to healthcare, education, protection, independence and an opportunity to participate in society."
inkWELL Press, the maker of all things productivity, was founded on generosity. The creator, Tanya Dutton, based her business on this model because she wants to show her children that it's important to bring forth good in this world. She does that with her New Life Initiative, where inkWELL Press donates their secondhand and surplus items to battered women shelters and residential treatment centers throughout their region. "Our goal with the New Life Initiative is to make a difference in how these women view their lives and empower them with the tools and confidence to begin their new lives."
We love a smell-good candle but we love it, even more, when it comes with a side of philanthropy. It all started in 2009 when three people created Prosperity Candle. Through candle-making and beautifully crafted vessels, this social enterprise supports refugees and artisans with refillable/repurposed candles. Every candle has an incredible story poured into it. The 10-people team has one goal: end global poverty. Just think of Prosperity Candle as the Statue of Liberty in action with its foundational values of creativity and quality.
Did you know that the life expectancy of trans women of color is just 35 years old? The struggles the trans community face are unthinkable and that's why Bye Gender exists. Previously known as Werk Those Pecs and Trans is Beautiful Apparel, the brand's mission is still to help trans individuals access the funding they need to survive. In 2016, the fund was first opened for application and since 2019, 25 applicants have been funded thanks to the proceeds from the clothing line. "The majority of the recipients are transgender people who have limited access to housing, or work due to disability, are unable to find employment due to their trans statuses, or are unable to afford their HIV meds or hormones. In November 2019, the Werk Those Pecs Fund was renamed to Bye Gender Trans Survival Fund."
Eu'Genia was birthed by a mother-daughter duo determined to secure fair wages and opportunities for their female workers in Ghana. Naa-Sakle Akuete and her mother have pledged to donate 15 percent of their earnings right back to the very women who make up the social enterprise by way of an education fund. The secret to their thriving business is raw, unrefined Ghanaian shea butter; thanks to Grandma Sunshine, the Ghanian midwife who birthed Naa-Sakle's mother and partner in equity. The Akuete lineage is emboldened by this natural alternative to chemical and petroleum jelly-filled moisturizers with her mom's establishment of Global Shea Alliance and their current relationship with sustainable farmers.
It is usually in pain that we find our purpose. That statement is painfully true for SmartyPits founder, Stacia Guzzo. After her mom found a lump under her armpit, they discovered it was breast cancer. The unrelenting search for an aluminum-free, odor-controlled, great smelling, smooth applicator led Stacia to create SmartyPits. A small stovetop plus skincare formulation research resulted in an aluminum-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, and propylene glycol-free deodorant. Best of all, SmartyPits donates 1 percent of all sales to breast cancer research and free deodorant to oncology centers, survivor support events, and non-profit groups.
Thinx is the new wave of reproductive health. Meet the underwear that absorbs blood during your period, eliminating the need for pads and tampons. Menstruation is such a taboo topic and we are not educated appropriately on how to take care of ourselves when our monthly visitor arrives. Thinx is actively trying to fix that by advocating for equity, educating future generations, and fighting for access for everyone. "Alongside our partners (and with your support!) we're fighting for better access to puberty education, amplifying grassroots activism, and donating our undies and time. When you purchase Thinx you're helping give life to our programming and initiatives." For us, it's the fact that they donate Thinx to women in need in underrepresented communities and unhoused situations.
Are you a member of our insiders squad? Join us in the xoTribe Members Community today!
Featured image by Shutterstock
- 12 Women Entrepreneurs To Keep On Your Radar - xoNecole ... ›
- How These 6 Women Are Using Their Gifts To Help Other Women ... ›
- Here's Why This Black Woman-Owned Feminine Hygiene Brand Is ... ›
- How You Can Support Small Businesses Amid Outbreak - xoNecole ... ›
- Black Owned Businesses Black History Month - xoNecole: Women's ... ›
- Beyonce Shares Women's History Month List - xoNecole: Women's ... ›
Joce Blake is a womanist who loves fashion, Beyonce and Hot Cheetos. The sophistiratchet enthusiast is based in Brooklyn, NY but has southern belle roots as she was born and raised in Memphis, TN. Keep up with her on Instagram @joce_blake and on Twitter @SaraJessicaBee.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images