Diversifying your brand outside of entertainment is something that a lot of celebrities are taking seriously. We’ve seen it in the early 2000s when rappers began creating clothing lines such as Nelly with Apple Bottom and Jay-Z and Damon Dash with Rocawear, but now it’s all about beauty and skin. With Rihanna seeing massive success with her Fenty Beauty and now Fenty Skin line, other celebrities are looking to get into the health and beauty space as well.
While we love us some RiRi, it is perfectly fine to venture out and see what other Black celeb beauty and skin care lines have to offer. Check them out below:
S'Able Labs by Idris Elba and Sabrina Dhowre Elba
Hollywood’s sexiest couple Idris Elba and wife Sabrina Dhowre Elba have decided to dip their toes into the skin care world with S’Able Labs. S’Able is Elbas spelled backward and the products are genderless. Sabrina recently talked about her exciting new venture with her husband in Vogue, “We realized quickly that there was no one doing it in the wellness space that looked like, spoke like or felt like us—there was no representation for people of color who wanted to be into wellness and fit in,” she said. “Plus everything was gender-focused—I’d have conversations with my husband on products he didn’t think he could use [due to them being aimed at women], but could.”
Cay Skin by Winnie Harlow
Supermodel Winnie Harlow recently launched Cay Skin, which is a sun and body care brand. As a model, Winnie works long hours and sometimes she’s working those hours in the sun. In an interview with Essence, Winnie recalled suffering from sunburn after modeling in the Bahamas from sun up to sundown. She revealed that no one on the shoot wanted her to reapply sunscreen because “it didn’t look good.”
However, that experience motivated her to develop her skin care line. “I wanted to make sure it was good to use for people who have sensitive skin, who have vitiligo, who are light, dark, any color under the sun,” she said. “I wanted it to be beneficial for everyone because everyone needs sun care and protection from the sun.”
Kinlò by Naomi Osaka
Naomi Osaka also has a sun care line called Kinlò. The tennis star launched the line in hopes of bringing awareness to skin protection and skin cancer in Black and Brown communities. Naomi opened up about what she learned when developing the line. “I was shocked when I learned about the statistics of skin cancer in communities of color, particularly about how much higher the mortality rate is for those of us who are diagnosed with skin cancer,” she said in an interview with Oprah Daily.
“That really opened my eyes to the fact that protection for melanated skin is a real public health need, and I immediately wanted to facilitate a conversation around that to help debunk the myths about us not needing to wear sunscreen because we have natural melanin. That's not true.”
Humanrace by Pharrell Williams
Pharrell Williams' skin care line Humanrace is a vegan, eco-friendly and genderless line that he developed with his dermatologist Dr. Elena Jones. The musical genius shared the story behind the brand name Humanrace to High Snobiety. “When we started working on the shoe design [at adidas] we knew it was going to be something for the human race,” he said. “And so that just became the inspo. And here we were, making shoes with these positive affirmations on them and people were paying for them.”
“It was this amazing case study [where] people would pay for something positive coming from me and coming from my group. And there, the Humanrace concept was born. I suppose, everything after it, up until now which is skincare, we've just been literally thinking to ourselves what category makes sense next? For me, any category that we step into we want to make it better than the way we found it.”
SKN by Lori Harvey
Socialite turned beauty entrepreneur Lori Harvey dropped the secrets to her glowing skin with the launch of her five-step skin care system, SKN by LH last year. The clean, vegan, cruelty-free was inspired by Lori's journey to healthy skin after years of not finding products that suited her specific skin issues. She shared the why behind her brand with Vogue, "I have rosacea and would struggle to find the right products to use. Then I got into modeling, and between shoots and backstage at runway shows you have so much makeup being put on your face. My skin was constantly going through it. So after using, like, 20 different products on my face at one time, I felt like there had to be a simpler way for me to get my skin looking the way I wanted it to.”
"I’m someone who has extremely sensitive skin, so I wanted to create an easy, step-by-step routine for all skin types, but one that definitely catered to people with sensitive skin who want to achieve a radiant complexion but don’t know what to use to get it," Lori continued. Vitamin C, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid serve as some of the line's hero ingredients. The core collection was released with much success and sold out in three days of its October launch.
EleVen by Venus Williams
Tennis great Venus Williams also got into the sun care game by adding sun care products to her lifestyle brand EleVen. In an interview with The Cut, Venus admitted that she “wasted the first 35 years of my years in full sun exposure” and now she wants others to not make that same mistake.
“In the beginning, my philosophy for choosing a sunscreen was always: the uglier, the better,” she said. “So if it had a horrible cast on my skin, and wouldn’t blend in, I figured, well, I’m getting even more sun protection … and that’s not necessarily the truth [laughs]. But you know, once you’ve been a deviant for so many years, you’re just trying to make up for lost time.” The champion said that her products won’t leave you with a cast like many well-known products.
Keys Soulcare by Alicia Keys
From soul music to Soulcare, Alicia Keys now can add skin care entrepreneur to her endless list of accomplishments. The mother of two launched Keys Soulcare and it is a “clean” line that aims to go beyond the skin and take care of your mind, body, and spirit. In an interview with Ulta, the singer opened up about why she decided to create the line.
“Personally, I’ve always struggled with my skin and eventually I realized it was because of the energy I was carrying, toxic emotions or relationships that played a big part in how I reflected from the inside out,” she said. “I realize self-care — self-love, really — has always been super important to me. And I know for a fact we aren’t often taught how to access it for ourselves. So, this is a new accessible way to look at the process.”
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for our xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images
- 8 Black-Owned Beauty Lines That Will Keep Your Lip Gloss Poppin ... ›
- 5 Black-Owned Beauty Brands To Add To Your Collection - xoNecole ›
- Kehlani Used This Black-Owned Beauty Brand For The Perfect Beat ... ›
- Celebrities Share Their Best Wellness Tips - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
The Libra woman and Aries man are the divine feminine and divine masculine, coming together as one. The love compatibility between these two is one for the books. These two are opposite signs, however, their differences tend to complement each other well. This is a dynamic relationship where they know how to have a lot of fun together, but also aren’t afraid to deal with the more serious stuff that comes with a relationship.
The Libra woman is looking for her equal in love, someone who is willing to put in the same effort she is, and the Aries man sees Libra as someone he is willing to do that with.
The Love Compatibility Of A Libra Woman And An Aries Man
What attracts a Libra woman and an Aries man to each other?
There is a magnet of attraction pulling these two together, and things tend to move pretty fast in this relationship. The Libra woman is always open to love and her charming nature rarely has any challenges here. The Aries man fights for his independence and doesn’t sacrifice that unless he is completely enamored with someone.
Once the Aries man catches the eye of the Libra woman, he is typically the one to make the first move and this instantly wins the approval of Libra.
These two feel like they have known each other forever when they meet, and this spark between them doesn’t die down easily.
Hero Images Inc/Getty Images
What is the relationship like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The relationship between the Libra woman and the Aries man is one of balance and excitement. The Aries man tends to take on the more dominant role in this relationship and the Libra woman tends to be the more receptive one. Aries is ruled by masculine Mars, and Libra is ruled by feminine Venus. They understand they are coming from two completely different worlds, yet they also instinctively feel this underlying connection to each other and like they could be something each other needs in their lives.
The Libra woman can rely on the Aries man, and the Aries man never has to ask for the love that Libra already knows he needs.
This is a couple that is often reading each other’s minds and wanting to do a lot of the same things. However, not everything is rainbow in this relationship as well, and there are some major differences they have to overcome to make things work. One argument can lead to an explosion between these two, and addressing things when they come up rather than sweeping them under the rug, will be needed to make this relationship long-term.
What is the sex like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The sex between a Libra woman and an Aries man is adventurous. These are two cardinal signs with plenty of energy and stamina to keep things exciting in the bedroom. There tends to be a good give and take in this relationship, and their yin and yang energy benefits them when it comes to their sex life.
There is electricity felt between the two of them in this area of their life, and their power of attraction to each other is strong. These are two people who will want to do a lot of things together, including exploring sexually together.
The Aries man will have to be careful with being overly aggressive, however, as the soft Libra woman may not like this energy- it will completely depend on the two individuals at hand. The Libra woman wants to ease into things, the Aries man wants to get going right away. Learning about each other's bodies, and energy, and reading each other’s cues will help with this.
Petri Oeschger/Getty Images
What makes a relationship between a Libra woman and an Aries man work?
These two genuinely like each other, and that basis is a key factor for success in any relationship. The Aries man is straight to the point, direct, and inspired. The Libra woman admires these characteristics in others, as she is often herself finding her balance in this type of energy as well. Neither sign is overly emotional in a way that turns them off, and they both require a lot of the same things in a committed relationship. They want honesty, fun, good communication, passion, and to be moving towards a common goal together.
The Libra woman and Aries man don’t have a problem being real with each other and this is something they really value within the relationship. They are both very charming, and there is plenty of flirtation and attraction to keep this relationship going. Aries being the protector they are, Libra finds a sense of safety and ease in this energy, and like they have found their match. Overall, this is a well-balanced relationship and one where they don’t have a problem when it comes to compatibility or chemistry in the relationship.
What may cause a Libra woman and an Aries man to break up?
Libra is the lover, Aries is the fighter, and this energy may be tiring for the both of them after time. The Libra woman can be passive to a fault, and the Aries man who is not evolved, may take advantage of that. She will need to be careful with putting Aries’ needs above her own, creating resentment later down the road. The Aries man loves a challenge, and the Libra woman would be up for that game for a little bit, but if she is not being met in the middle, she will begin to look for other places. These two can have a difficult time keeping the peace in the relationship, and there could be a lot of arguments and disagreements here if they both aren’t willing to put their egos or self-pleasing attitudes to the side.
The Libra woman and Aries man are both more sensitive than they appear or come off as. They are also not necessarily the type to dive deep into their emotions and express them to others, even in their relationships. However, this energy can keep the relationship to a surface level than what is needed to progress and grow the relationship, and a sense of openness is required for this couple to work. Libra needs romance, she wants to be wowed. Aries needs to remember this and to always consider her love language.
Overall, this is a successful pairing. They will have their fair share of challenges in the relationship, but nothing they can’t overcome if they are willing to. The trouble will come in when it comes to the longevity of the relationship, keeping Aries excited and Libra in love. However, all in all, there is more power, attraction, and love to keep this relationship together rather than apart. No relationship is perfect, but this one is a little more blessed than most.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Weekend Images Inc./Getty Images