We should be wearing sunscreen every day, regardless of the season, skin tone, or whether we can see the sun or not. Sunscreen is a very crucial step to our skincare routine because it not only protects us from the harshness of the sun, but it helps fight against aging, hyperpigmentation, and skin cancers like melanoma. Let's be honest, there are several reasons why black people still aren't wearing sunscreen. For one, the medical field historically hasn't played fair when it comes to awareness and treatment in the black community. Two, we grew up with myths like "black don't crack" or not realizing that black people can get sunburn too. And lastly, the lack of diversity in the actual sunscreen formula itself.
Historically, sunscreen has been catered to white people. For a long time, sunscreen brands didn't concern themselves with how the formula worked on people of color. Sunscreen formulas now and then often gave people with deeper tones the Casper or ghost effect, which left a white cast on our skin. Believe it or not, this is a huge deterrent for people of color and I can't blame them. Who seriously wants to walk around with a white or gray hue on their skin? I don't and I know you don't either. Thankfully, some brands cater to sun protection for all skin tones.
Here are 10 Black girl-friendly sunscreens that won't give you the Casper effect.
*Some links are affiliate links. If you make a purchase, xoNecole may earn a small commission. xoNecole only recommends products that we know and love.
Black Girl Sunscreen
The Black Girl Sunscreen Make it Matte has SPF 45 and consists of aloe, squalene, and shea butter that help moisturize, soothe and heal your skin. It works for all skin types but it's ideal for people with oily skin looking to control the oils and find a balance of hydration and nourishment that isn't too thick and greasy. The love is defintely real, as the product is currently out of stock as I type this, but if I were you, I'd get on that "notify me" email list quick for the restock.
Black Girl Sunscreen
A cult favorite, the Black Girl Sunscreen original creamy formula has SPF 30 and consists of natural ingredients avocado, jojoba, sunflower oil, carrot juice, and cacao. It works for all skin types and doubles as a moisturizing lotion while protecting your skin. And unlike its Matte successor, it is for individuals who aren't afraid of a glow.
Alba Botanica Hawaiian Coconut Clear Spray Sunscreen is a lightweight, quick-dry mist made with SPF 50, coconut, and shea butter to protect against sunburn, skin cancer, and premature signs of aging. It has a subtle scent and leaves your skin with an extra glow.
Alba Botanica Hawaiian Green Tea Sunscreen Lotion is a creamy non-greasy moisturizing sunscreen lotion with SPF 45 made of aloe vera, green tea, and tropical fruit extracts. This is a 100 percent vegetarian-friendly product and does not contain oxybenzone, octinoxate, gluten, or synthetic fragrances.
EltaMD UV UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 is a clear sunscreen formula made with SPF 46, sodium hyaluronate to moisturize, and lactic acid to refine your skin to clear pores and reduce shine. It's fragrance-free and protects your complexion from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
Fenty Skin Hydra Vizor Moisturizer Broad Spectrum Sunscreen is made with SPF 30 and acts as a moisturizer and sunscreen. It's lightweight, oil-free, and invisible on all skin tones. Another added benefit of this sunscreen is you can purchase refills instead of repurchasing the bottle. Another bonus? It's vegan.
EleVen's Unrivaled Sun Serum by Venus Williams is a lightweight serum that combines skincare and mineral sun protection. It's made with SPF 35 to protect you from UVA and UVB rays. It also provides long-lasting hydration while calming and soothing your skin, creating a smooth velvety finish.
Neutrogena has mastered the cooling and hydrating water-gel formula in most of their products and it's no different with their sunscreen. The Hydro Boost Water Gel Lotion is made with SPF 50 to protect and moisturize your skin. It gives your skin a cooling and refreshed feel without any white residue. It's also oil-free and non-comedogenic, which means it won't clog pores.
Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Sunscreen Lotion has SPF 60 and prebiotic oat to protect and heal dry skin. This sunscreen can be used on all skin types but is ideal for people with sensitive and extremely dry skin. It aids in relieving itchy skin while strengthening the skin's barrier.
Biossance Squalane + Zinc Sheer Mineral Sunscreen is a good option for those who can only use a mineral sunscreen and have sensitive skin. It has an invisible, non-toxic formula that calms and cools your skin with a dewy finish. It's made with SPF 30 squalane, and water lily for a cool, refreshing feel.
Featured image by Shutterstock
- 10 Easy Ways To Get Rid Of Dark Spots & Hyperpigmentation ›
- We Asked A Dermatologist All Your Burning Skincare Questions ... ›
- Best Hyperpigmentation Products to Clear Skin Fast - xoNecole ... ›
- Yes, Black CAN Crack. Here's What To Do About It, Tho. - xoNecole ... ›
- The Best Body Products For Healing Sunburn & Sun Damage ... ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
There are moments on our health journey when our bodies are bugging us to hit the reset button.
With life, we can start to see slips in our diet, irregular exercising, and inconsistent sleep schedules, and our mental health can suffer because of it. But what many people come to find is that with just a few adjustments — as opposed to restrictions — being made to their food intake, we can see a focus more on eating “the right” calories and less on being on a restrictive diet.
"Raw Till 4" is a dietary concept and lifestyle associated with the raw vegan and high-carb, low-fat vegan (HCLF) movements. Created by Australian blogger and YouTube star known as 'Freelee the Banana Girl', the method suggests eating raw, uncooked plant-based foods until 4 p.m. each day and then having a cooked, vegan meal in the evening.
The Raw Till 4 lifestyle follows the guidelines of vegan and rawist eating and involves consuming fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and sprouted grains in an uncooked, natural state until the designated time of 4 p.m. or around one’s typical dinner time. After 4 p.m., a cooked vegan meal is consumed, which may include foods like steamed vegetables, grains, legumes, and plant-based sources of protein like tofu or tempeh.
On TikTok, creator Adina Yaffa is repopularizing the trend, sharing how it’s helped to improve digestion, boost energy levels, and support weight loss.
Replying to @🌜kat🌛 here is what I eat in a day on a raw till 4 lifestyle. I eat with the sun and according to the circadian rhythm that out bodies follow on a typical day. Where i drink liquids during the first 8 hours, then juicy fruits, then smoothies, more dense building fats, proteins and veggies! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass #rawtill4
“During the hours of 4 a.m. and 8 a.m., your body is in an elimination phase and needs all the help it can get,” Yaffa says in the clip. “So what you’re going to do is drink coconut water, citrus juices, and green juices during this time, and around 8 a.m., you can break your fast with some fruit. I suggest juicing fruits, and then after that, I suggest having a smoothie or a bowl with berries and granola so you can get your fats and healthy proteins in.”
Raw till 4 has so many benefits including better digestion, nutrients, belly fat and bloat elimination, snatched waist, more energy and so much more! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass
On the official Raw Till 4 website, Freelee the Banana Girl shares tips on how to get the best outcomes of this lifestyle change, which include:
- “Stay hydrated! You should pee about 8-12 times per day, and your urine should be clear. Drink 1 liter of water when you wake up in the morning, and 1 liter of water about 30 minutes before each meal for optimal results.”
- “Fragmented sodium (salt) should be kept to a minimum. Use herbs, lemon juice, etc. wherever possible in place of salt.”
- “Eat unlimited calories at every meal, no restriction. The majority of your calories each day should come from fruit. Don’t under-eat on fruit during the day or 'save up' your calories for dinner time. RT4 is about abundance at every meal.”
- “Move your body daily. Find an activity you love and make it your playful exercise.”
- “Make sure to get lots of rest, relaxation, and good sleep. Learning to incorporate good rest, early nights, and regular sleeping patterns into your life will greatly improve your overall health.”
- “Practice gratitude and peaceful emotions at mealtime, and get a vision book started! Be sure to enjoy this journey. Focus on long-term health instead of short-term results.”
Critics argue that it can be challenging to get all the necessary nutrients from a raw vegan diet and that it may not be suitable for everyone, especially over the long term.
As with any diet, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making significant dietary changes to ensure that it meets your individual nutritional needs and health goals.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by FreshSplash/Getty Images