August is the time to remain hopeful about what is on the horizon for you. With the Sun officially in Leo and the light shining on what makes you truly happy, August is about connecting to your inner power. You have the power to co-create your reality, and this is the month to claim that. Ground yourself in the present moment with gratitude, and get excited about what you are creating for yourself and the path you are walking on right now. With Mercury entering Virgo as the month begins on August 4 through August 25, the clarity is there to make some significant improvements, and insights, and to find order in what’s felt out of place.
Venus enters Leo and there is a Full Moon in Aquarius on the same day, August 11. With these two signs opposing each other on the zodiac wheel, balance comes into play right now and La Luna is reminding you how to balance the heart, with the mind. Leo wants to feel love, and Aquarius seeks to understand it. Venus in Leo is about taking center stage in your life and showing up for love. Venus will be in Leo until September 5, and love gets an extra spice right now. The Full Moon in Aquarius is the Full Sturgeon Moon of the year, and it’s about finding your flow rather than force. During this Full Moon focus on what you wish to release, and what you want to grow closer to and make more connections from.
Mars makes a significant transit in August, as it enters Gemini for a lengthy seven months. Every few years Mars goes retrograde, making its transit in one particular sign significantly longer than its usual few-month transit. Mars will be moving into Gemini on August 20, 2022, until March 25, 2023, and will be retrograded from October 30, 2022, until January 12, 2023. Mars in Gemini is active, unpredictable, and insightful. Mars in Gemini is curious about everything, and it’s best to think things through before jumping in right away during this time. Mars in Gemini energy can get impulsive, but with the right flow and intentions, this can be a time of great progress, development, connection, and communication.
On August 22, Virgo Season begins, and the Sun moves into the earthy goddess of the zodiac. While the Sun is in Virgo we renew, improve, and give because we can. There is unwavering strength about Virgo that takes us far and makes health, well-being, and self-value the priority. Uranus goes retrograde in Taurus on August 24, and it’s about expecting the unexpected, and grounding yourself in the faith that you can handle whatever life may throw at you. There is a New Moon in Virgo on August 27 before the month ends, and this is when those moments of hope and clarity will be coming through, and when following your inner guidance system is rewarded.
August is the month to trust, take note of your progress, and do the things that are making you happy now, but also in the long run.
Aries Monthly Horoscope for August 2022AriesKyra Jay for xoNecole
August is a month of clarity for you, Aries. You are seeing the vision clearly, and paths are opening up for you to move into these new opportunities you see on the horizon. The spark has been lit, and you have the universe supporting you every step of the way. With Venus moving through your 5th house of romance and happiness for most of August, you are connecting with the things that bring you the most joy in life. August is all about making your happiness the priority and allowing all else to align with this sense of magic.
The Full Moon on August 11 is in your 11th house of friendships, community, and hopes and dreams in life and this is a good time for seeing your manifestations bloom. Intentions you have been setting over the past month will be coming full circle during this time. Before the month ends your ruling planet Mars moves into your 3rd house of communication for the next seven months, and you are driven by connection, self-expression, and inspiration.
Taurus Monthly Horoscope for August 2022TaurusKyra Jay for xoNecole
This is a month of new opportunities for you, Taurus. You are bringing forth new intentions and creations in your life, and seeing the reality of things coming together for you. With the Full Moon on August 11 occurring in your 5th house of romance, you are seeing new opportunities develop in love this month, and are also getting clearer on what your heart wants. This is a month of rebirth, and intentions coming to fruition.
Moving into August, Uranus goes retrograde in your sign, shaking things up a bit. With Uranus moving retrograde in your 1st house of self for the rest of 2022, you are being guided towards self-reflection, and discovering the way you see the world around you. It’s all about being the leader of your destiny right now and choosing the way you want things to go for you. You have the power, Taurus.
Gemini Monthly Horoscope for August 2022GeminiKyra Jay for xoNecole
Connect with the heart space this month, Gemini. August is a time of emotional renewal for you, and removing any clutter you have been feeling in your life. This is the month to get honest about how you have been feeling and to choose love. As you take the time for your healing and health this month, you develop a solid foundation for your dreams to grow. With a Full Moon in Aquarius mid-month August is a time of making new discoveries, gaining clarity, and defining the path forward that you are looking to see through right now.
Mars makes a very important transit into your sign this month on August 20 and will be in Gemini until early 2023. If there was any time to take action, honor your passions, and renew your spirit, it is now. By the end of the month, there is a New Moon occurring in your 4th house and this New Moon is a time of seeing new opportunities sprout in the home, family, and within your foundations and support systems in life.
Cancer Monthly Horoscope for August 2022CancerKyra Jay for xoNecole
This is a strong month for communication, Cancer. The focus is there for you to make real progress and experience the breakthroughs that you have been looking for, and it’s all about tapping into the guidance within. As you communicate freely from the heart, you align with divine receptivity, allowing miracles to unfold in your life. With Venus in your sign until August 11, you are entering August with love on your side, and an open heart.
As you move more into the month, there is a Full Moon in your house of commitments, and a New Moon in your house of communication before the month ends. August is all about finding the balance between the emotional ties and past experiences that you are letting go of right now and moving forward with your clear intentions today. This is a month to regroup and use your voice, Cancer.
Leo Monthly Horoscope for August 2022
LeoKyra Jay for xoNecole
Your season is here, and you do well in the spotlight, Leo. August is about rewriting your story and seeing yourself as the divine co-creator of your reality. Notice where in your life you have been giving over your power, and make the effort to call back your power this month. Focus on perspectives that make you feel confident and nourished, and release any feelings of lack that keep you stuck in place. This is the month to stand in your courage and live your truths.
Venus, the planet of love, moves into your sign from August 11 until September 5, and you are entering one of the best times of the year for love. Remain hopeful when it comes to your intentions here, and focus on what you do have rather than what you don’t. The Sun moves out of your sign and into Virgo on August 22, giving you some breathing room to take in what you have learned over the past month and release anything keeping you away from peace.
Virgo Monthly Horoscope for August 2022VirgoKyra Jay for xoNecole
August is a time of honoring the cycles of your life and preparing for a transformation. This isn’t the month to look back and ponder on the past, it’s a time to move forward now, Virgo. You are ready to dive into some new experiences, and in August you are clearing the way, making space, and creating new plans so that you can move forward more effortlessly and with fewer roadblocks. You are being guided this month to have some more fun with the journey that you are on and to make time to just dance, be, and live your dreams.
Virgo Season begins on August 22, and it’s your time to shine and experience the blessings of a new day, Virgo. Virgo Season this year is all about remaining patient, but also about owning your value and how far you have come, knowing that it’s only going to get better for you. The New Moon of the month is occurring in Virgo on August 27 as well, and you are leaving August feeling renewed, supported, and in tune with all that is.
Libra Monthly Horoscope for August 2022LibraKyra Jay for xoNecole
You are building your world, Libra. August is about taking as much time as you need for your peace and your growth, and about protecting your energy. Remember that your inner guidance system is always available to you, and many of the answers you have been seeking without can be found within right now. By releasing what hasn’t been working for you, you can strengthen the bonds and experiences that have, creating more solid foundations for your intentions to manifest.
The Full Moon in your fellow air sign happening mid-month is bringing the focus to your heart, and you are ready to let go of relationships that have gone past their expiration date. With Mars moving into your 9th house for the next six months, you are entering a wild adventure this month, and this is an adventure that’s going to take you to new places and introduce you to new faces. You are free, Libra.
Scorpio Monthly Horoscope for August 2022ScorpioKyra Jay for xoNecole
Scorpio, you are entering the garden of your dreams this month. August is your time of connecting to what paradise, happiness, and fulfillment feel like for you, and making this the dominant energy in your life. You have been working on letting go and allowing in more love, and your transformations are evident. Keep creating from the heart and broadening your perspective, and on the New Moon on August 27, make sure to write down your intentions and focus on what you wish to manifest at this time.
Venus will be moving through your 10th house of career for most of August, signaling a time of feeling the love, connection, and possibly some weak spots on the work front. Public life and reputation are being highlighted this month, but overall with Venus in the mix here, you are being received especially favorably right now. Remember that you are worthy and deserving of great things, Scorpio.
Sagittarius Monthly Horoscope for August 2022SagittariusKyra Jay for xoNecole
August is a fun month for you, Sagittarius, and this is the month to have some fun! Plans are following through, friends are connecting, and you are feeling a good social buzz in your life in August. You are making some new discoveries and honoring what is lighting you up inside, and it’s attracting happy experiences and opportunities into your life. The Full Moon on August 11 is when you are going to be seeing a journey complete, and new clarity on where you are headed unfold.
Mars makes an important transit into your 7th house of love and relationships this month, where it will remain until 2023. You are entering a seven-month-long journey of love, and things are going to be emotionally heightened for you for the time being. New connections are entering your life and you are deciding what paths you want to embark on, and who you want to take with you. August is your time to play, unite, and celebrate your life.
Capricorn Monthly Horoscope for August 2022CapricornKyra Jay for xoNecole
Support is coming in for you this month, Capricorn. August is about divine intervention and allowing the universe to support your dreams. Sometimes you have to get out of your own way and out of your head, to see the real miracles and gifts that are right in front of you. This month you are getting those moments of clarity and you are receiving the messages. Divine guidance is here to support you right now, and your angels are with you, Capricorn.
The New Moon this month is occurring in an earth sign such as yourself, and you are flowing well with the energies that are flowing through the world as the month ends. You are moving into new territory at the end of August and creating some travel plans and future journeys that you feel inspired to take right now. Remember that the more you release, the more you allow; and the more you trust, the less you have time to doubt. You are safe.
Aquarius Monthly Horoscope for August 2022AquariusKyra Jay for xoNecole
August is a healing month for you, and you are finding your balance right now, Aquarius. There has been loss and there has been gain, and you are finding your balance between this sense of transformation you are experiencing at this time. Remember to give yourself a break from overthinking this month, to look at things from the perspective that they happened for a reason, and not punish yourself for not seeing something clearly sooner. You are everywhere you are supposed to be, and nowhere you are not, Aquarius.
The Full Moon this month is occurring in your sign on August 11, and you are seeing some powerful culminations appear in your life in mid-August. You are being ushered into light and away from any density you have been feeling in your life, and sometimes this means letting go of something you once thought was supportive of your journey. Give yourself the space and freedom to trust your path, and not judge yourself in this process. All is well.
Pisces Monthly Horoscope for August 2022PiscesKyra Jay for xoNecole
You are moving forward fearlessly this month, Pisces. August is a month of aligning with your strength and taking intentional action toward your goals. Ask yourself this month, “What would I do if I knew I was supported?” Then allow yourself the freedom to do just that, aligning with the love and empowerment of your heart. You are breaking new ground this month and overcoming previous challenges and obstacles, Pisces.
Mars moves into your 4th house of home and family where it will remain from August 2022 to March 2023, and you are putting the extra effort into your safe spaces and close loved ones during this time. You are entering a new journey where there is more energy and activity in the home, and your passion is flowing towards what feels safe and secure to you. With a New Moon in your opposite sign of Virgo before the month ends on August 27, the people who nurture and support your heart are coming in to make it known to you in August.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Kyra Jay for xoNecole
Tayler Barakat is a Mystic who has studied Astrology for over a decade. She does intuitive astrology and tarot readings for people all over the world, and her work focuses on healing and empowering individuals. Follow her on Instagram @taylerbarakat_ and check out her website www.listentothevirgo.com.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Imma tell y’all what — it seems like not one week goes by when I don’t see some sort of so-called term that has me like, “What in the world?” For instance, when I first stumbled upon “self-partnering,” honestly, I laughed. Then shared it with some other single people as well as married folks I know. And I kid you not, every individual was like, “What the heck does that mean?” When I told them that it was yet, one more way to seemingly define single living, basically everyone’s follow-up was, “Oh, brother.”
Why can’t (more) singles just be single and be okay with that? Good Lord. Why does there need to be some sort of relational play-on-words to make it sound like we’re with someone — even if we’re not?
Now masturdating? Even though it’s not even close to being a “real” word, it’s something that also brought a laugh outta me — although it was then followed by a genuine smile. The laugh because I almost immediately caught the play-on-words. The smile was due to the intention behind it all.
If you’re not familiar with what masturdating is and you’re curious about why you should even care, take a few moments to at least skim through what it’s about and why I think participating, as a single person, is a pretty cool (and effective) concept.
Masturdate: a date w oneself
What’s Masturdating All About?
Masturdating. Okay, so let the word marinate for just a moment. What does it sound like? Yeah…exactly. And since a huge part of masturbation centers around self-pleasure, it’s cool to explore how “self-dating” could produce similar (as far as pleasure is concerned in a broader sense) results. Because masturdating is all about spending quality time with yourself, pampering yourself, treating yourself— and yes, taking yourself out on dates.
Any of you who may think that masturdating is a consolation prize — and a pitiful one at that — for not being able to go out with another human being or get that dream $200 first date that social media was all in a tizzy about last year (bookmark that) — personally, I think that you’re the demographic who needs to try out masturdating first and the most. Why? Off top, I’ll share my three good reasons.
3 Reasons To Strongly Consider Masturdating
1. It’s an intimate way to get to know yourself better. I’ve been working with couples for a pretty long time at this point and if there’s a pattern that I see arise, OFTEN, it’s that two people are oftentimes so busy trying to “find their person” that they didn’t even know who they were. As a direct result, they found themselves in a relationship with someone who only complemented the “kiddie pool version” of who they were.
That’s why it can be so beneficial to spend time getting to know yourself on the “deep end” of things: what makes you tick, what your passions are, what you want most out of life, what are your interests beyond obvious things — and masturdating can help you to discover all of this. Whether it’s traveling alone or taking out a weekend to drink some wine and journal, the more you get to know yourself, the clearer you’ll be about who complements you on a romantic and friendship level.
2. It will definitely help to boost your confidence levels. I guess since I’m an ambivert, I don’t really get why people freak out at the mere thought of going to a restaurant or movie alone. Personally, I think it requires a helluva lot more energy and gumption to wait around and plan stuff with other people (#Elmoshrug). However, whether you’re an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert, there’s no way around the fact that the more comfortable you get with doing things alone, the more your confidence levels will increase — no, soar — because of it.
One article that I read on the topic said that doing things alone can make you more creative, improve your mental health, and help you to be totally okay with being alone (so that you’re not “needy” for other people’s attention). A psychotherapist from a New York Times article on the benefits of spending time alone said, “Getting better at identifying moments when we need solitude to recharge and reflect can help us better handle negative emotions and experiences, like stress and burnout.” And when you’re able to stare negativity in its face without flinching, how could that not make you bolder, more self-secure, and hopeful about your life?
3. It will teach you to value your time more effectively. In every facet of your world, you’re gonna operate from a healthier place if you’re operating from a “full cup” rather than an empty one. When it comes to this topic, think about it — if you’re constantly waiting on someone to call you to go out or wishing for a dream date with some guy, all you’re doing is wasting precious time that you could be spending taking a cooking class or hell, hiring a chef to make you dinner at your own home.
Indeed, waiting has two sides to it: when it’s in the form of patience, it is indeed a virtue, yet when it’s wrapped up in the notion that you’re not really living life unless you have an audience…it is totally working against you. Choose wisely.
10 Solo Date Ideas To Help You To “Master” Masturdating
So, what if you’re someone who has either never considered actually masturdating before or you don’t really know what to do beyond dinner and the movies? Here are a few ideas to consider:
1. Attend a workshop or masterclass that you’re interested in. If there’s something that you’ve always wanted to learn, sign up for a workshop or masterclass. The cool thing about this option is there are probably some in your city, as well as some that you can find online (like here) that are convenient and affordable.
2. Binge-read at a local coffee shop. Aside from their coziness and oftentimes inviting scents, I once read that a lot of us gravitate to coffee shops because we can be around people without having to actually socialize with them. So, if you want to “hang out” while still being able to enjoy a bit of solitude, take a book that you’ve been trying to finish to a local coffee shop, order your favorite latte, and sit in a big-ass comfy chair. Usually, you can sit there for hours, and the staff will be just fine with it (another bonus).
3. Have a spa day in the next town. You can never go wrong with a spa day. And while going with a friend can be fun, sometimes there’s too much talking transpiring to be able to fully chill out and relax. So, go off of the grid, get a change of scenery, and hit up a spa in the next city (or town). There are lots of studies out here supporting that day trips or “daycations” can actually be really good for your long-term health and well-being.
4. See a community play. Some of the best solo dates that I’ve ever been on consisted of taking in some of the local arts in my city. What’s really cool about this particular option is, oftentimes, they are extremely inexpensive, if not totally free of charge (in exchange for making a donation or putting money into a tip jar).
5. Plan a trip. Whenever people say something along the lines of, “If you don’t expect anything, you won’t be disappointed,” I know that they low-key have some (additional) healing to do from past disappointments. There’s simply too much intel out here to support that anticipation (of good stuff) makes us more motivated and optimistic, keeps our dopamine levels up, and makes life more exciting overall.
Since traveling alone is more cost-effective, gives you the freedom to do whatever you want (when you want), and increases the possibility of meeting new people and having new experiences on your journey — why not devote a day this weekend to planning a solo trip? All the way around, it’s good for you.
6. Try your hand at your own “$200 date.” Uh-huh. Roll your eyes if you want to, but it’s real easy to talk left about how a man should be able to just drop $200 like it’s nothing…until you actually try to do it. So yes, while taking yourself out on this type of date could serve as a bit of a reality check, it can also “scratch the itch” of waiting on some dude to do it for you. It’s also way less emotionally draining because, at least when you’re taking your own self out, it’s guaranteed that you’ll enjoy the company…right?
7. DIY some pampering. When you get a chance, check out “5 Reasons You Should Unapologetically Pamper Yourself,” “Want To Love On Yourself? Try These 10 Things At Home.,” “I’ve Got Some Ways For You To Start Pampering Your Soul,” and “When's The Last Time You Actually Pampered Your Vagina?” The bottom line here is pampering is all about, not mere self-maintenance; it’s all about treating yourself to levels of EXTREME SELF-INDULGENCE. So, if nothing else tickles your fancy on this list, at least consider doing that, chile.
8. Feed your creativity. Something that I used to be really good at is art. That said, one of my goddaughters is insanely talented, so she has reminded me to tap back into it. Also, a big part of what got me into the writing world is poetry; I actually used to be a house poet at a local spot. Sometimes, my best quality time moments with myself have been revisiting these creative sides of me — and this is definitely easier to do (and enjoy) alone.
9. Try some stargazing. When’s the last time you took a blanket into your backyard, laid down on it, and just stared at the stars for hours on end? While some say that stargazing can teach you to be mindful, others say that being in that form of nature reduces stress, while others believe that looking up at the universe at night can increase your attention span. All solid reasons to give it a shot, if you ask me.
10. DO. ABSOLUTELY. NOTHING. Let me tell you something that nobody will ever be able to make me feel bad about: doing absolutely nothing. I’ve got data to back me up. Good Housekeeping shares that doing nothing can help you decide how you want to respond or react to certain things. I like howThe Guardian says that taking this approach helps you to regain control of what you give your attention to.
TIME magazine says that it can ultimately make you more productive.BBC offers up that it can help you tap into your ingenuity.Henry Ford Health says that it can make you kinder and a better problem-solver. So, if you want to invest in yourself, do nothing sometimes.
Closing Thoughts from the Lovely Javicia Leslie
While some of y'all may know Javicia Leslie from being the former Batwoman, I discovered her back in the day from the indie series Chef Julian (and yes, "Julian" was right to say that "Mo" looks like Tatyana Ali...the real ones know). Sometimes I'll hop on her IG to see what she's got going on and this story popped up within a few hours of me penning this...so, I took it as hella confirmation.
TREAT YO SELF. WAIT FOR NO ONE.
WAIT FOR NO ONE. TREAT YO SELF.
RINSE AND REPEAT.
Sooo…what kind of masturdating plans do you have for this coming weekend? While going out with others has its perks, hanging out with yourself has a ton of ‘em too. Enjoy!
No…for real. ENJOY!
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by FOTOGRAFIA, INC./Getty Images