If you've ever been up late on Pinterest trying to scroll yourself to sleep, you've probably come across a photo of a luxurious bathtub filled with an array of floral elements, herbs, and sometimes even slices of fruit. This commonly used practice is known as a spiritual bath within the mystical community.
These baths combine various elements of nature, including sea salt as a major component, to adjust our energetic frequency in times that we may be low on vitality, psychologically overwhelmed, or just stuck in some area of our lives.
The Benefits of Taking a Spiritual Bath for Wellness
So what are the benefits of taking a spiritual bath? They can vary in nature depending on the ingredients you use and the intention you set prior to taking the bath. However, the most common purpose of a spiritual bath is to cleanse not only the physical body but also the etheric body (a.k.a. the aura).
Energy is everything and in our fast-paced, technologically-driven lives, it's easy for our aura to be impacted by external stimuli—whether it be the people we interact with (even digitally), the environments that we frequent, and even the entertainment that we consume. Everything has a signature, energetic imprint that can either harmonize with your vibes or disrupt them entirely (if you identify as empathic or a Highly Sensitive Person, then you're all too familiar with this concept).
We can't always control how much we engage with the outside world but we can equip ourselves with the energetic tools needed to cleanse, protect, and uplift our energy along with a host of other good things.
Cleanse Your Energy With Spiritual Baths
Wondering if a spiritual bath is what you need? The answer is yes. This simple, yet highly effective practice, can be used by anyone in addition to the routines that you may already use to cleanse your energy whether that's smudging, praying, using crystals, or speaking positive affirmations over yourself. If you're up for it, you can even combine these various energy clearing techniques in a self-care ritual.
Check out the how-to guide below for making your own spiritual bath to help you counteract negative vibes and the S.A.D. blues:
Ingredients for a Spiritual Bath Energy Cleanse
- Sea Salt
- Calendula (Marigold)
- Jasmine Flowers
- Bay Leaves
- Lemon Verbena Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil
How-to: Spiritual Bath Energy Cleanse
- Prior to preparing your spiritual bath, make sure your environment is clean. Scrub your tub, burn some Sage, and shower before you take your bath. You may wish to light some candles to set the mood for your spiritual bath.
- After taking your shower and rinsing the tub, prepare your bath water to a temperature of your liking. Add at least 1 cup of sea salt to the water.
- Sprinkle the Calendula, Jasmine, and Bay leaves into the bathtub (if you have sensitive skin, you may want to try soaking your feet first). Feel free to use just as little or as much as you'd like.
- Slice up a few lemons and oranges and add them to the bathwater as well.
- Pour a few drops of Lemon Verbena, Lavender, and Eucalyptus oil into the bathwater.
- Swirl the bathwater around with your hand while saying a prayer or setting your intention for the bath (Example: "May these various elements join together to cleanse my aura of energies that don't belong to me.")
- Soak in the bath for at least 30 minutes. Relax into the water and allow all of your worries to drift away as you engage with the fragrances and sensations of the natural elements against your skin.
- When you're done soaking in your spiritual bath, drain the water and gather the flowers, herbs, and fruit to either discard them in the trash or to offer them back to the earth by placing the elements at the base of a tree. Thank your Higher Power for assisting you in this cleansing process.
- Dress in white or light-colored clothing after your bath (avoid black clothing). You may wish to journal, meditate, or sip on a cup of tea to reflect and relax your way into a restful night's sleep.
Featured image by Getty Images
Originally published November 8, 2020
- The Key To Balancing Your Energy Might Be Aromatherapy ... ›
- Women Are Using Yoni Steams To Heal Themselves From ... ›
- My Journey From Religion To Modern-Day Spirituality - xoNecole ... ›
- Jhené Aiko's Vibrational Healing Will Get Your Chakras All The Way ... ›
- The Power Of Connecting Energetically To Your Yoni - xoNecole ... ›
- What Is Yoni Steaming? Guide - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Reiki Healer Shares The Best Ways To Detox - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Your First Spiritual Bath: Everything You Need To Know – Ritual+Vibe ›
- How to Do a Spiritual Bath | Remove Toxic/Negative Energy ... ›
- Best Spiritual Cleansing Bath Salt Essential Oil Recipe ›
- 3 incredible spiritual baths rituals to do at home during the quarantine ›
- 3 Spiritual Baths to Remove Negativity - Salt Water Cleansing | Gaia ›
- What Is A Spiritual Bath – And Why You Should Try One To Help ... ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
2023 has become the year of celebrity breakups with headlines breaking left and right about celebs filing for divorce or ending high-profile relationships. The latest couple to announce their dissolution? British actress Jodie Turner-Smith. TMZ reported that Jodie has filed for a divorce from her husband, Dawson Creek alum Joshua Jackson.
As far as her reason for calling it quits, Jodie cited "irreconcilable differences," according to TMZ, and has requested joint custody of the couple's daughter, Juno Rose Diana Jackson. Late last year there were rumblings of there being "trouble in paradise" for the couple after the media realized they were no longer following each other on Instagram.
Those rumors were more than laid to rest when Jodie and Joshua went to the 2023 Oscars together earlier this year, and even more recently, when they celebrated her birthday together last month during the September unveiling of the Lotus Emeya.
Jodie Turner-Smith celebrates her birthday with husband Joshua Jackson at the unveiling of the new fully-electric Lotus Emeya on September 07, 2023 in New York City.
Brian Ach/Getty Images for Lotus
Despite seeming particularly happy and in love, perhaps the writing was already written on the wall even then. In the past, Jodie has been very celebratory publicly about her love for her estranged husband, even boldly recounting their love story for the books in a 2021 interview with Seth Meyers.
When Jodie and Joshua met, it was while at his birthday party in 2018. Their relationship was hot and heavy from the start, with Jodie openly noting that they began as a "one-night stand." During her 2021 interview with Seth Meyers, she jokingly referred to their love story as a "three-year one-night stand." She shared:
"First of all, I saw him before he saw me and when I saw him, I was like, 'I want that.' And then when he saw me, I just pretended like I didn't see him. He had to yell across the room to me, and I was wearing this T-shirt from a movie called Sorry to Bother You and [actress] Tessa Thompson plays a character called Detroit, and she has this T-shirt that says, 'The Future Is Female Ejaculation.'
"And so, he shouts across the room, 'Detroit!' He comes over and… does this really cute, charming thing that he does and just all night -- he just basically followed me around the party."
The couple were together from that moment forth, and even made things "Instagram official" less than two weeks later while on a dinner date. Joshua would later clarify to Insider that the night they met in 2018 was not a 'one-night stand' or a 'three-year one-night stand' like his then-wife joked but instead, it was "technically a three-night stand."
"It was sealed with a kiss that night and then we didn't leave each other's sides for, well, three years now," Joshua continued at the time.
In a July 2021 interview with Jimmy Fallon, Joshua dropped more details about the why behind getting married. He revealed that he didn't know he wanted to get married to Jodie until "the moment she asked me."
"She asked me on New Year's Eve. We were in Nicaragua. It was very beautiful, incredibly romantic, we were walking down the beach and she asked me to marry her."
He added, "I did not know [she would propose], but she was quite adamant and she was right. This is the best choice I ever made."
Joshua Jackson Reveals Jodie Turner-Smith Proposed To Him
Jodie received quite a bit of flack for proposing to Joshua because it goes against tradition and what society sees as acceptable for a woman to do to a man, and proposing isn't one of them. No matter how much time has passed, the viewpoints around who should do the proposing and who should be proposed to are still very traditional.
After being on the receiving end of such backlash, Joshua would later clarify to the media in a separate interview that it wasn't just Jodie's proposal to him that sealed the deal of them getting married, he proposed to her too. She might have initiated it, but Joshua followed through.
"I accidentally threw my wife under the bus because that story was told quickly and it didn't give the full context and holy Jesus, the internet is racist and misogynist," he explained to Refinery29 that same year. "We were in Nicaragua on a beautiful moonlit night, it could not possibly have been more romantic."
David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images
He continued, "And yes, my wife did propose to me and yes, I did say yes, but what I didn't say in that interview was there was a caveat, which is that I'm still old school enough that I said, 'This is a yes, but you have to give me the opportunity [to do it too].'"
"She has a biological father and a stepdad, who's the man who raised her. [I said], 'You have to give me the opportunity to ask both of those men for your hand in marriage.' And then, 'I would like the opportunity to re-propose to you and do it the old-fashioned way down on bended knee.' So, that's actually how the story ended up."
Joshua and Jodie would eventually marry in December 2019. Shortly thereafter, Jodie gave birth to the couple's first child, Janie, in 2020.
In a recent interview with Elle UK, Jodie shared the ways becoming a mother to Juno helped to heal her of her wounds from colorism she experienced in the past. "It's interesting because I had a lot of resistance to becoming a mother and, throughout my life, I always said if I were to have children, I wanted to have Black, Black babies so that I could affirm them as children with the love that I felt I needed to have been affirmed with by the outside world," Jodie shared with the outlet.
She continued, "Then I fell in love with my husband and we talked about having kids. I did have this mini pause, where I was like, 'She's going to be walking through the world not only having an experience that I did not have, but looking like people that, in a way, I'd always felt a little bit tormented by.' Now that I've got this little, tiny, light-skinned boss, I feel like it’s the universe teaching me lessons. I've been given a daughter who looks this way to heal my own conversations around colorism."
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Amy Sussman/Getty Images