10 Candles That Radiate The Calming Vibes We Deserve
2020 will high-key be its own history book but it has also provided many opportunities to be more still, intentional and truly value time and healing. I don't know about you but as a Cancer and an empath, self-care manifests as lighting candles. My relationship with myself has never been more important. I owe it to myself to give the same compassionate energy to Joce as I do to my loved ones.
Finding candles that radiate self-love is one way to do that. As the seasons change, we want to be prepared for Seasonal Affective Disorder and general happiness. We have found that creating rituals and including candles makes for positive effects on your mood. Take a look at some uplifting scents that will empower you to devote more time to yourself!
*This list is specially curated by the xoNecole team and some links are affiliate links. If you purchase an item from an affiliate link, xoNecole might earn a small commission.
With scents that range from watermelon and champagne, to floral and teak, Ryan Porter offers a collection of pink 100 percent soy wax candles that come in sleek glasses with labels that feature bold lettering where attitude and ambience meet. This one in particular is the "Girl, You Need To Calm The F Down" candle and features Japanese cherry blossom and teak scents. The candle itself is as calming as it is aesthetically pleasing.
P.F. Candle Co.
With calming woodsy musk, sage, lavender, amber, and citrus notes, you are sure to feel elevated and rejuvenated after adding this candle to your self-care ritual. Be it daily or weekly, we believe you'll feel centered after burning this candle and setting your intentions.
What better way to practice self-care than with a candle that has affirmations plastered on top? It reads:
- I tune into my soul and ask what I need to feel nourished
- I treat myself with love, kindness and compassion
- I set healthy boundaries
- I allow myself to rest and rejuvenate for my well-being
Madewell - Rosewood Cassis Candle
Speaking of intentions, lighting up this Madewell best-seller might just be what the universe ordered. The soy candle has the reminiscent indulgence of "a sunny afternoon in a French garden" with notes of rose, pear, green ivy, and cassis lulling you into instant calm. Let the pampering begin!
True North Navigation/Etsy
Remember when Whitley Gilbert taught us how to "relax, relate, release"? Now it's time to Refresh, Renew and Revive. The eucalyptus refreshes your mood, the bamboo renews your mind, and the peppermint revives your body. Best of all, you can save the planet by reusing the tin as a jewelry holder or office supply container. Each candle in the collection costs $9.
Cancelled Plans Candle - Student Loans
Looking to immerse yourself in calm and peaceful vibes? Cop this candle! A soothing blend of apricot wax and coconut wax, this relatable candle by Cancelled Plans is the perfect addition to your self-care day. Bask in the luxurious aroma of vanilla, citrus, coconut, sea salt, cardamom, dark musk, and plum.
If you're looking for a lazy Sunday with a wick, prepare to burn some inner zen in your life with the help of this Sunday Morning Candle. The handmade vegetable wax candle consists of floral and fruity notes like pear, amber woods, bergamot, gardenia, and jasmine.
Burn one of these for bath time or meditation or just because you feel like it. Created to invigorate feelings of tranquility with the help of its hypnotic blend of lavender, clary sage, and lemon, this candle is perfect for aromatherapy. WildflowerByAna also offers an array of other candles that meet additional desires like Focus, Motivation, Sensuality, and Happiness.
Crate and Barrel - Empower Scented Candle
Crate and Barrel
With their Empower scented candle, Crate and Barrel has managed to craft a fragrant masterpiece. The candle, made of essential oils and soy wax, has notes of orange, grapefruit, sage, lavender, oak moss, and amber. The fruity, sweet-smelling candle is the perfect way to bring in calming vibes. Plus, for every purchase, Crate and Barrel makes a $10 donation to VOW to End Child Marriage.
The Spa Girl Life
If you haven't noticed yet, candles and crystals go together like peanut butter and jelly. The Spa Girl Life designed the Glow From Within Candle to help you release anger with the soothing scents of ylang-ylang flower and the power of the citrine crystal. The woes of the world may have you down, in order for you to take care of you, you need to release it back into the universe. Try saying this mantra when igniting the flame, "I allow the fire within me to shine brightly, I happily and easily continue on my path."
Join our xoTribe, an exclusive community dedicated to YOU and your stories and all things xoNecole. Be a part of a growing community of women from all over the world who come together to uplift, inspire, and inform each other on all things related to the glow up. We drop xoNecole events and special opportunities into our Tribe first.
Featured image by Shutterstock
Joce Blake is a womanist who loves fashion, Beyonce and Hot Cheetos. The sophistiratchet enthusiast is based in Brooklyn, NY but has southern belle roots as she was born and raised in Memphis, TN. Keep up with her on Instagram @joce_blake and on Twitter @SaraJessicaBee.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images