There's so much to be said about black women who not only beat the odds, but do it with power, class, style and dignity. And who doesn't need a dose of inspiration right now in the form of a good show or film depicting us living in our truths, pursuing our passions, bossing up, overcoming obstacles, and pulling one another up to continue a legacy? Check out this list of 10 TV shows and films that give us life and teaches us how to conquer it. Pass the popcorn, sis!
This TV One series has gone deep into the real professional and personal journeys of some of our favorite entertainers and bosses, including Eve, Tisha Campbell, and Tyra Banks. Watching this show is like having spiked sweet tea with that favorite cool auntie who has seen it all, done it all, and came out on top. The latest shows feature Debbie Allen, the dance industry legend behind TV and film hits including A Different World and Amistad, and our favorite TV mom Jenifer Lewis (of Black-ish and Think Like a Man, Too). (Watch via TV One.)
The Forty-Year-Old Version
If the title isn't clever enough to peak your interest, the lead character, an unfulfilled teacher who morphs into a rapper named Rahdamus Prime, should at least raise an eyebrow. The Forty-Year-Old Versionproves that 40 might actually be the new 20, and that even if you're years away from even thinking about a mid-life crisis, changing gears to pursue what really makes your heart sing shouldn't be something that has an age requirement. (Watch via Netflix.)
Uzo Aduba won an Emmy for her portrayal of a Washington, D.C. mom you don't want to play with. The film is inspired by the story of Virginia Walden Ford, a woman affectionately called "Miss Virginia" who fought to create a scholarship program for her son and children in her community. Up against systemic racism, economic hardship and even her own fear of public speaking, she was able to get legislation passed that would ensure access to safe, high-quality schools for at-risk youth everywhere. (Watch via Netflix.)
Oge Egbuonu, a Nigerian-American director who's gotten a major co-sign from celebs including Halle Berry, offers an amazing portrait of black female resilience and intellectual prowess. This film is our history told via our lens---as they should be, and it includes authentic narratives covering the history of black women in the U.S. The scholars featured include Patricia Hill Collins, a Distinguished University Professor at the University of Maryland, College Park, Joy DeGruy, a leading publisher and author on the intersection of racism, trauma and violence, and Ruha Benjamin, sociologist and an associate professor at Princeton University, along with other activists and educators. (Watch via Vimeo.)
Seeing a black woman behind the bench instead of in front of it as a defendant is always a good look. Simone Missick, the actress who made history playing kick-ass superhero Misty Knight in Luke Cage, shines as a Lola Carmichael, a former prosecutor and Los Angeles County Superior Court judge. If you love a good crime drama, this fictional series that gets into the thick of the drama of working in the legal system is a perfect pick to binge on. (Watch via Amazon.)
Set to be released in November, this British series follows a group of recent college graduates competing for a limited number of permanent seats at a top London investment bank. Myha'la Herrold plays a young woman named Harper who confidently rocks box braids and a nose ring in a cut-throat environment run by entitled white men. She arrives in London from New York and sets her eyes on winning over executives, facing tough opposition among the global elite. (Watch via HBO.)
This show, in its own ingeniously shocking way, mixes sci-fi with the realities of racism and comes just at the right time. If the slaying of wicked wizards masquerading as cops, time travel of black women seeking to tap into their voice and rename themselves victorious, or in-your-face depictions of the horrors in murdering innocent black folk aren't enough, just watch for the sheer magnificence of black female acting prowess in the likes of Jurnee Smollett, Wunmi Mosaku, Aunjanue Ellis, and Jada Harris. These women will literally have you screaming, crying, laughing, and gasping all in one sitting, and that's just after watching one episode. (Watch via HBO Max.)
Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am
She's a Nobel Prize winner who is known for her best-selling books that have had Oprah, Michelle Obama and Beyonce raving, and her legacy as a truth-teller and advocate for women's voices is undeniable. This film gets into the what, when, and why of Morrison's life as a writer and educator who got her start in New York as the first black woman senior editor in Random House's fiction department. It includes exclusive interviews, detailed accounts of how her books came to be, and the people in her life who inspired her. (Watch via Amazon.)
A Ballerina's Tale
Get a behind-the-scenes view of the life, struggles, and triumphs of Misty Copeland, the first African-American principal ballerina of the American Ballet Theatre. What's interesting and a bit bittersweet about this first is that it happened in 2015, more than 70 years after the prestigious global dance powerhouse was founded. In the film, you get to know Copeland, her family and the people who are part of her rise in becoming a pioneer and inspiration for girls all over the world. (Watch via Amazon.)
About Her Business Series
If hard work and no excuses were people, this series would be their life stories. Launched by BET Her, these shows include tell-it-like-it-is insights from contemporary entrepreneurs who have literally turned nothing into something to become self-made global brands and millionaires. Get your life and your motivation via the likes of bosses including IG sensation and founder of The Crayon Case, Reynell "Supa Cent" Steward, Mane Choice CEO Courtney Adeleye, Slutty Vegan restaurateur Pinky Cole and xoNecole's own Necole Kane. These millennials have taken the baton from their predecessors and have proven they can hold their own and inspire a whole new generation of go-getters and financial success stories.
Are you a member of our insiders squad? Join us in the xoTribe Members Community today!
Featured image by Shutterstock
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy