You don't know what you've got til' it's gone, and when it comes to having clear skin, this statement is 100% big facts. Gone are the days where I could rinse my face with some Dollar Store brand body wash and go live my best life without fear of giant blemishes, rashes, and unexpected pimples. Now, my skincare routine takes approximately 20 minutes and $200 worth of products from Ulta and honey, my time and my money are spent.
With growing up comes bills, responsibilities, and worst of all, adult acne, and although you may be in the struggle season right now, sis, your glow-up is on the horizon and it may only take a few trips to the dermatologist and a new skincare system to get your face all the way together.
On a recent episode ofELLE's Wake Up With Me, R&B singer Justine Skye gave us the 411 on the morning routine that keeps her skin both hydrated and healthy AF. Along with checking her horoscope, Justine says that she prefers to ditch the morning java and start her day off with a dairy-free Matcha latte. She explained:
"I'm obsessed with matcha. I have to have it. I don't have to have it, but I would love to have it every day if I could. This right here is a nitro latte. It has almond milk and coconut milk in it. I try not to drink or eat dairy because it's not really that good for you. I tried that coffee thing that everyone does for a little while and I realized that it gave me anxiety and kind of like, panic attacks. I don't know. My heart would start beating really fast and I would start going crazy and like what's wrong with me? And for some strange reason matcha, which is supposed to have more caffeine than coffee, doesn't do that to me."
After eating some banana bread, checking her texts, emails, and horoscopes, Justine is off to jumpstart her skincare regimen, which is a delicious hybrid of Kiehl's and Clinique products that you should get your hands on ASAP.
Scroll below for details on the acne-prone routine that keeps her glow-on-go at all times:
"First, I use Acne Solution Cleansing Foam to wash my face and then I just pat my face. I try not to like rub it too bad."
"Next, I use Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion. It's kind of like an astringent. You shake it up and I get one of these lovely cotton pads and I just like put a little bit on there and I just wipe my face with it, focused on the nose area cause I feel like it's a lot of build-up in there."
"I use Dramatically Different Moisturizing Cream and I mix it with a little bit of Daily Reviving Concentrate, which is like an oil that really just hydrates my skin. I use three drops of it. Massaging your face does help a lot, gets the blood flowing and circulating so you don't have bags under your eyes and stuff like that."
"I travel with this, I keep this in my bag at all times because it just hydrates your face, you know like whenever it's feeling dry at whatever point. I'm not putting on makeup today because I'm just going to rehearsal. I want my skin to breathe and be healthy and just like get all the vitamin D from the sun and charge up my melanin, you know?"
"I use this skin hydrator; one and a half pumps of that. And then this one, I don't really like massage into my face. I kind of just pat. And this is the glow guys. This is how you get the glow. Amazing, isn't it?"
A Handy, Dandy Toothbrush
And you can't forget to lay those edges, sis.
Clear Eyebrow Gel
"I always have to have my eyebrows in place, so I just used some clear eyebrow gel."
Featured image by Instagram/@JustineSkye.
Originally published on October 30, 2019
- Podcast Host Jourdan Ash Says This Simple Skincare Routine Is ... ›
- I Tried 6 Different Morning Routines & This One Made Me The Happiest - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Justine Skye Explains Exactly What MetixClass Is All About - Beauty ... ›
- Watch Justine Skye's 3 Ways to Win Instagram | Allure Video | CNE ›
- Beauty Crush Wednesday: Justine Skye – Fashion Bomb Daily Style ... ›
- This Beauty Routine is the Secret to Justine Skye's Perfect Skin ... ›
- This Beauty Routine is the Secret to Justine Skye's Perfect Skin ›
- Justine Skye's Unicorn Beauty Routine | Into The Gloss ›
- Justine Skye shares her six favorite fashion and beauty essentials ›
Taylor "Pretty" Honore is a spiritually centered and equally provocative rapper from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with a love for people and storytelling. You can probably find me planting herbs in your local community garden, blasting "Back That Thang Up" from my mini speaker. Let's get to know each other: @prettyhonore.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Liposuction is one of the most popular cosmetic plastic surgical procedures, according to Johns Hopkins Medicine, and on average, it may run you close to $ 4,000. While many people are still turning to surgery to get the look they want, there are many alternatives that are noninvasive and overall safer that are starting to get some shine. Like a lot of people during the pandemic, I had put on a few extra pounds, and I was looking at all the different methods that can help me look and feel great.
I don’t remember how I ran across it, but I began researching laser lipo, and before I knew it, I had booked my first appointment of many. I entered the medispa and was taken to a room and told to lie down. Then, I had lasers placed on top of my stomach for about 30 minutes, and I was done. While it sounds simple, it can take multiple sessions to get the desired look you want. That was a couple of years ago. However, I decided to try it again. This time with a different practitioner and a few add-ons, including wood therapy, cavitation, skin tightening, and vacuum therapy. Let’s dig deeper.
What Is Laser Lipo?
Laser lipo is a non-invasive procedure that penetrates through the skin and shrinks the fat. Not only is it simpler than regular lipo, but it’s also less expensive. Tammy Bell of Sculpted By Bella Beauty Bar, where she offers these noninvasive services, tells us why more people are turning to laser lipo.
“It’s noninvasive. You don’t have no downtime at all, unlike lipo and the different surgeries you have downtime with that,” she says. “You get results. It’s a little slower than regular lipo, but you get results that you want.” Because everyone’s body is different, the results may vary. However, Tammy says it’s also based on lifestyle habits such as what you’re eating and how active you are.
Laser lipo is just one of the many noninvasive services to choose from. See more below.
Microgen Images/ Science Photo Library/ Getty Images
If you follow Tracee Ellis Ross on Instagram or TikTok, then you probably saw the video of her using wooden tools to sculpt her body. This method is called wood therapy, and let me tell you, it’s not for the faint of heart. In my experience, it’s a weird sensation and a little painful. However, they say beauty is pain.
Tammy breaks down what wood therapy is. “It actually breaks up the fat, and it contours your body. It moves the fat through your lymphatic system,” she explains.
Another treatment is skin tightening. As we get older, our skin loses elasticity, and this service targets sagging skin for a tighter appearance. “The heat actually helps tighten the skin,” Tammy says about the skin-tightening tool that is used during the service. “It helps build collagen for your skin to tighten.”
Cavitation liquifies the fat, and it’s the only service out of this list that can’t be done on your face. “With the cavitation and all that stuff, if you notice, I always come in, and then I go down because you have your lymph nodes for your lymphatic system for it to drain,” she says, explaining the technique she does when using the tools on the body.
“That’s why it’s important for you to drink a lot of water ‘cause you (the fat) have to either come out in your sweat or your urine.”
Vacuum therapy involves suction cups that lift the skin. While I’ve only used it on my stomach, Healthline reports that many people are using it to get a butt lift. “Vacuum therapy moves the fat, and if you want to get a butt lift, you push the fat up,” Tammy says.
Costs vary per service and per practitioner. However, I spent around $400 and got all the aforementioned services done within five appointments.
Body sculpting results
Photo courtesy of London Alexaundria
My target areas were my back, stomach, and arms, and I am satisfied with the results I received in such a short amount of time. You can get these services done separately and get good results, but I decided to try them all together as a part of a package. Just like they will tell you after getting regular lipo, for lasting results, you must make sure to keep a healthy lifestyle.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Delmaine Donson/ Getty Images