Over the course of time, I’ve written articles for xoNecole on how to incorporate foods that will improve the health of your vagina (“The Foods Your Vagina's Been Craving”) as well as ones that will ultimately do your vagina more harm than good (“Here’s What Your Vagina Wishes You Would Eat LESS Of”). And while, in a perfect world, our daily diet would consist of all of the nutrients that our va-jay-jay needs, the reality is that most of us need to add a few supplements — ones that will keep “her” happy and thriving.
That’s what we’re gonna tackle over the next few minutes — different supplements that you probably knew were good for other parts of your body yet can also do wonders for your vagina (and vaginal-related activities) too.
1. Vitamin A
If you want to have a strong immune system, the ability to get pregnant easier/faster, great vision, and the assurance that your organs are receiving what they need in order to function properly, you definitely need to get some vitamin A into your system on a regular basis. Some foods that are rich in this particular nutrient include tomatoes, mangos, eggs, carrots, butter, and salmon.
As far as your vaginal health goes, vitamin A is essential because it helps with the development of your mucous membranes. This is relevant when it comes to your vagina because not only do they play a role in keeping your vagina moist, but they also make it easier for that part of your body to fight off infection as well.
2. Vitamin C
There’s a reason why health experts advise that you up your intake of vitamin C during cold and flu season. Not only is it a super potent antioxidant that’s incomparable when it comes to fighting off free radicals, but this vitamin also helps to keep your blood pressure in check, reduce your risk of heart disease, and helps your body to absorb iron. Vitamin C is also dope on the natural beauty tip since it helps your body to produce collagen (which is what helps your skin and hair to maintain elasticity). Foods that are high in vitamin C include citrus fruits, berries, potatoes, bell peppers, and broccoli.
Your vagina could benefit from vitamin C if you’re looking to treat a bout of bacterial vaginosis (BV) or if you want an all-natural way to decrease vaginal odor (although if the odor persists, you should definitely make an appointment to see your doctor).
3. Vitamin D
You probably already know that vitamin D is good for your teeth and bones. Did you also know that it’s essential when it comes to fighting bodily inflammation or that it helps to treat depression and can help you to lose weight? Foods that are a great source of vitamin D include dairy, salmon, fortified orange juice, fortified cereal, and mushrooms.
The reason why Vitamin D makes the “pro vaginal health” list is that it helps to prevent vaginal dryness in menopausal women. Studies also reveal that people who are deficient in this nutrient tend to have a lower sex drive and a more challenging time experiencing orgasms. Salmon tonight, anyone?
4. Vitamin E
From your brain to your blood to your reproductive organs, vitamin E is something that your body needs from head to toe. Personally, I’m all about it because I like what the nutrient does for my skin. That’s because it’s great at reducing the appearance of scars, softening the skin, and keeping it from premature aging (it’s also got properties that reduce the itching that comes with eczema and psoriasis). Foods that are good sources of vitamin E include almonds, peanuts, collard greens, pumpkin, and spinach.
Also, if you’re feeling a little dry down below, applying some pure Vitamin E oil can bring some immediate relief. Just make sure that you don’t rely on it for vaginal lubrication if you plan on using a latex condom. Latex and oil do not mix — even when it’s something as awesome as this particular oil-based vitamin.
5. Aloe Vera Juice (or Tablets or Gel)
Even though it’s definitely something that you’ll want to put into your juice or a smoothie (because it’s kind of…blah without some assistance), you can’t go wrong with adding some aloe vera juice to your diet. For starters, it’s quite the mega-nutrient when you stop to consider the fact that it includes vitamins B12, C, and E, folic acid, a ton of different enzymes, and magnesium and zinc (and that’s just scratching the surface!). That’s why it’s not surprising that aloe vera juice is good for regulating blood sugar levels, healing inflamed gums and ulcers, and treating constipation. Beauty-wise, it hydrates dry skin and soothes the effects of eczema and psoriasis.
And what can it do for your vagina? Well, consuming it in juice form can help to keep your vagina naturally lubricated from the inside out. If you apply it as a gel, it’s got a pH balance that complements your vagina, and its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties can make it a great vulva soother after a night of a lot of friction or even as a lubricant if you’d prefer to go a chemical-free route.
The reason why DHEA is actually called that is that its real name is dehydroepiandrosterone (right…try spelling that after looking at it only one time). Long story (and name) short, it’s a natural hormone that helps to produce other hormones like testosterone and estrogen. Because DHEA is somewhat of a hormone balancer, some people take it in supplement form to treat things like depression, erectile dysfunction, and even obesity. It’s also effective as it relates to slowing down the signs of aging. Plus, some studies show that people with type 2 diabetes have a lower level of DHEA in their system than they actually should (good to know if that’s a health issue for you).
Vaginally, DHEA is helpful at balancing estrogen levels inside of your vagina, which can help to make sexual intercourse more pleasurable. Just make sure to run this one by your doctor first because too much estrogen in your system can sometimes produce unwanted side effects.
7. Sea Buckthorn Oil
Although it’s certainly not the kind of nutrient that comes up in daily conversation, never sleep on sea buckthorn oil. The backstory is it's an oil that comes from a Himalayan plant called — yep, you guessed it — the sea buckthorn, and it does all kinds of awesome things for your health. Not only is it a solid source of Vitamin E, calcium, zinc, and copper, but it’s also an oil that helps to reduce your blood sugar levels, keep your skin moisturized, support your liver health, strengthen your tresses, and even make menopause easier to deal with.
And why will your vagina adore it? If you want a source of fatty acids that will help to keep your vaginal walls lubricated, this oil can help to accomplish that goal. Also, if you’re post-menopausal and you don’t want to do traditional estrogen hormone therapy, sea buckthorn oil has studies to support that it’s an awesome alternative when it comes to treating vaginal atrophy (the thinning and dryness of your vagina that oftentimes comes with menopause).
8. Hyaluronic Acid
Probably what hyaluronic acid has the best reputation for is beauty. That’s because it’s awesome when it comes to softening the appearance of fine lines and reducing the appearance of scars on your skin. However, don’t overlook the fact that it contains properties that keep your joints working well as well as keep your eyes hydrated (because experiencing dry eyes is the absolute worst).
When it comes to vaginal atrophy, this is another all-natural treatment that leads the pack. Applying it topically can also help with vaginal dryness or discomfort from sexual penetration, especially if you’re currently dealing with cancer treatments.
9. Fatty Acids
If you’ve always wondered what a “fatty acid” technically is, the best way to describe it is, it’s a building block of fat — one that actually works in your favor. Take omega-3 fatty acids, for example. The properties in it are able to reduce anxiety, improve your vision, naturally assist with the treatment of ADHD (in children), bipolar disorder, and autoimmune diseases and make period-related discomfort more bearable. By the way, foods that are high in this particular fatty acid include tuna, walnuts, and canola oil.
Vaginally, you can benefit from fatty acids because they help to treat vaginal infections (like BV), vaginal dryness (especially in breast cancer patients) and increase pleasure-related chemicals like dopamine and serotonin, so that you’re able to have a more sexually-fulfilling experience. Very cool, indeed.
10. Cranberry Pills
Something that’s definitely packed with antioxidants is cranberries. Its high acidic content makes it pretty reliable when it comes to healing oral health issues, reducing the risk of heart disease, and providing a holistic approach to treating urinary tract infections (UTIs). If you’re also looking for a way to maintain your digestive health as you reduce bodily inflammation, cranberries have your back in those departments too.
Since cranberries are so good at keeping UTIs at bay, this means that they help to reduce the build-up of bad bacteria in your vagina, which is always a good thing. So, if you hate the bitter taste of cranberries, remember that you can always take them in pill form — unless you’re allergic to aspirin; some studies say you could experience side effects if that happens to be the case.
11. Black Seed Oil
Something that I’m a super fan of is black seed oil. It comes from the Nigella sativa plant, and another name for it is black cumin. Actually, who put me on to it is actor (and choreographer) Darrin Dewitt Henson. I can’t seem to find the clip on YouTube, but years ago, he was on The Breakfast Club saying that he attributed his ageless appearance to black seed oil. I looked it up, and an article on its whopping 101 benefits had me hooked. If you’re looking for an all-natural way to lower your blood pressure, heal breakouts, boost your immunity, and even treat asthma, look no further (although I adore it for what it’s done for my skin!).
As far as your vagina goes, if you’re like me and you have a natural fungal sensitivity, this is an oil that can help to keep candida in its proper place. It can also help to clear up vaginal discharge that may irritate your vulva.
Probably the easiest way to describe probiotics is they are live microorganisms that help to keep your gut healthy — and since 80 percent of your immunity is in your gut, taking care of that part of your body is always a vital thing to do. Probiotics help to keep bad bacteria from overtaking your system, make it easier for you to digest your food properly, can make taking medication easier to do, will reduce cholesterol levels, and is great at treating acne, eczema, and hydrating dry skin.
Definitely get some for your vagina because probiotics keep bad bacteria from causing a yeast infection, help to treat BV, and can even help to prevent the growth of cervical cancer cells. And since probiotics can also assist with improving your moods, boosting your energy levels, and increasing your libido — the next time you’re at your local health store, be sure to pick some up. If you need a bit of assistance in making the right selection, check out Byrdie’s “10 Best Probiotics for Women of 2023 for Gut Health” and Healthline’s “10 of the Best Probiotics for Women in 2023 According to a Dietitian.” Your vagina will certainly thank you!
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by HUIZENG HU/Getty Images
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at email@example.com. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy