Recently, while watching a skit by an actor who goes by the name Bigg Jah, it took me a hot minute to realize that it was basically a long commercial for a manscaper (clever…very clever, my man). The first thing that came to my mind is, I really dig the fact that more and more Black men are speaking up about self-care and grooming (very dope). The second thing I thought was, I wonder what the best "womenscapers" are. (I found a list of 'em here.) Then, as my mind began to wander even more, I wondered if, like virtually everything in life, did pubic hair actually have annual trends. Yep. It does.
If you're like a friend of mine who basically goes by the motto, "I don't care what the pubic hair trends are because I Nair mine off and go about my business", I hear you. It's your cooty-cat; do what you will.
But I do think that it should go on record that pubic hair does exist for a reason—and a purpose. Mostly, it's there to protect our vaginas from unwanted bacteria (and pathogens and lint), plus it can shield us from getting tiny abrasions during sex; abrasions that could make the transmission of STDs easier to receive from our partner (if they happen to have one and don't know it). Then there's a perk that a lot of people either forget or don't know about—pubic hair traps in pheromones; the kind of pheromones that make men and women, well, hornier.
Even though pubic hair can be a bit of a nuisance at times, I know many men who absolutely prefer women who have at least a little something down there. "I want to feel like I'm having sex with a grown ass woman, not a little girl" is the rationale that I typically hear. Still, that doesn't automatically mean that you have to go all 1970s bush on 'em. There are some trends that are cute, creative and pretty easy to maintain if you'd rather do your "ladyscaping" from the comfort and privacy of your own home.
Let's look into a few.
What Are the Current Trends Down There?
As far as trends go, this is what several sources revealed will be big in the year of our Lord, 2020:
The Bermuda Triangle. If you want your vagina to look like it's past puberty and you don't want to endure the pain of going completely bald (which is technically called The Brazilian in spas and salons), a happy medium is The Bermuda Triangle. It's when all of the hair but a triangle that points to your actual lips is removed. A lot of women like it because it's ideal during the summer season when you want some hair, but you don't want anything close to your bikini line.
The Five o'clock Shadow. I'm thinking this is pretty self-explanatory, but just to be on the safe side, it's when you've got a little more than stubble down there. The main thing to remember with this is the clean up the "outlining areas" like right where your bikini line hits. Oh, and in order to pull this one off, you'll probably need to shave/trim on a weekly basis.
The Martini Glass. One more. If you've never heard of The Martini Glass before, it's like a hybrid of The Bermuda Triangle and The Landing Strip (you know, when there's only one thin line of hair that runs down to where your vaginal lips are). What you do is you start off making a triangle, but right when you get to the "fattest" or "fleshiest" part of your vulva, you narrow the triangle into a line so that it literally ends up looking like—ta-da!---a martini glass (drink up, fellas!).
How to Properly Care for Your Pubic Hair
Trimming your pubic hair is only one part of maintaining it. There are a few pampering tips that you should apply on a weekly basis as well.
Exfoliate. There are two (main) reasons why exfoliating your pubic hair is a good thing to do. First, it can help to remove dead skin cells and keep your pores around your vaginal region clean and clear. Secondly, it can loosen up your hairs before you shave so that you don't end up with bumps or unsightly ingrown hairs. The most effective way to exfoliate your pubic hair is to either dry brush before taking a bath or shower or to wash your pubes with a pair of exfoliating bath gloves.
Condition. Tell the truth and shame the devil. When's the last time that you intentionally conditioned your pubic hair? It might seem like a strange thing to do but think about it—all hair feels better after it's been conditioned. Plus, hopefully, you've got someone spending a little time down there. Don't you want those hairs to feel silky soft for him? While I don't recommend slathering on the conditioner that you use for your head (the chemicals may be a bit much), putting a few drops of jojoba oil into your bathwater is an awesome way to get—and keep—your pubic hair feeling pretty wonderful. You can back that up with a little sweet almond or grapeseed oil once you get out of the tub if you want your pubes to feel extra smooth.
Soften. In order to pull off some of those trends that I mentioned, never shave while your pubic hair is dry. Always dampen it with warm water (you can use a spray bottle if you'd like) and apply some shaving cream. If you're worried that the cream could irritate your actual vulva (the external part of your vagina), clitoris or vagina, you can nix a lot of the extra chemicals by making your own. Click here and here for some easy to make recipes.
Shave. The main thing to remember when it comes to shaving is your razor needs to glide along the grain of your pubic hair, not against it. The reason why a lot of us end up with bumps and irritation down there is because we overlook this golden rule.
Dye (if you'd like). I don't know if it's TMI or not. We're all grown so, to me, it's whatever. Although I am not bald or "trendy", the main thing that motivates me to keep my own pubic hair trimmed very low is the older I get, the more grey hairs want to pop up and totally wreck my mood. If you can totally relate but you want a little more hair sans any grey, you can always dye your pubic hair. I'd avoid the standard hair dye box kits, if I were you. Instead, go with a brand that is specifically designed for your pubes. Betty Beauty is a pretty popular one.
Leave fragrance alone. Our vaginas are supposed to have a pH balance somewhere between 3.8-4.5 (which is somewhat acidic). When it's higher than this, that can lead to a breeding ground for not-so-good bacteria to thrive. Things like sperm, antibiotics, medication, douching and even our menstrual cycles can throw our pH off. Know what else can? Chemicals and scented products. That's why, it really is best, to leave all of the perfumes 'n stuff alone. If you want to feel a little extra fresh, check out "Love On Yourself With These 7 All-Natural DIY Vaginal Washes". In the meantime, always remember that your vagina—and the pubic hair that covers it—isn't supposed to smell like a bed of roses. A healthy vagina has a distinct scent and men love it. So, don't overdo it, OK? When it comes to caring for your vulva and your pubic hair, the "less is more" approach is always best. Always.
Want more stories like this? Sign up for our newsletter here and check out the related reads below:
Featured image by Shutterstock
- How to Grow Out and Take Care of Pubic Hair, According to Experts ... ›
- Should I Remove My Pubic Hair - Men and Women Weigh In on ... ›
- What's the real reason women remove their pubic hair? ›
- Who Trims? Pubic Hair Grooming Common Among Young Women ... ›
- Pubic Hair: Care, Styles, Removal & Trends | WHO Magazine ›
- What Are the Most Popular Pubic Hair Styles? ›
- The No BS Guide to Grooming Your Pubic Hair ›
- To Go Bare Down There? - The New York Times ›
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at email@example.com. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy