The stigma of therapy in the black community has long hindered our willingness to mind our mental health.
Thankfully, transparent stories about the positive impact of counseling are slowly changing the tide and shifting negative perspectives. Big names like Myleik Teele, Amanda Seales, and even Jay-Z, are normalizing the conversation by openly discussing the role of therapy in their lives.
Nonetheless, there is still this fear of the unknown. If you're a newbie to the therapy scene, finding a good fit can seem daunting, awkward, or weird. Take the edge off by checking out these 4 Black therapists that will make you want to sit in their chair.
1. Dr. Joy Harden Bradford - @TherapyForBlackGirls
Dr. Joy Harden Bradford
Not quite sure you're ready to take the leap into therapy? Dr. Joy Harden Bradford will change your mind with her down to earth approach.
She provides a plethora of information specifically targeted to Black women through her podcast, Therapy for Black Girls. You'll love that she eliminates the guesswork by providing a directory of black therapists around the nation. Dive into her podcast, join her Facebook group, and follow her on Insta. You'll feel a part of a community and less alone as you embark on your healing journey.
- The Founder of Therapy For Black Girls Gives Us A Beginner's Guide to Therapy - Read More
- Janelle Monae on How Therapy and Love Helped Her Resolve Anger Issues - Read More
- The Boss Girl's Guide to Therapy - Read More
- Women Are Using Yoni Steams to Heal Themselves From Reproductive Issues and Sexual Traumas - Read More
Is it important to have a therapist who looks like you? Let us know in the comments down below.
Featured image by Shutterstock