It's right about the time when we start to notice frost on our cars in the morning or we're not able to go outside in the evening without putting a coat on, that we start to pull out our teapots and packages of hot cocoa more regularly. For most of us, it's because warm drinks are an easy—and tasty—way to take the chill off. But did you know that there are proven health benefits that come with drinking warm (and hot) liquids?
According to one study, habitual tea drinking has a way of improving your brain power. Also, when you drink hot water, it is able to do everything from clear up nasal congestion and calm your nervous central system to improve blood circulation throughout your body and decrease your stress levels.
That's why, on this very chilly fall (or winter) day, I thought it would be a good idea to give a personal shout-out to some of the warm drinks that not only taste good, they are really good for you too. Oh, and as a bonus, I also included some recipes, just in case you want to go the homemade route on any of them (which will make them taste even better!).
1. Ginger Tea
I'm one of those people who gets motion sick whenever I ride in the backseat of a car, so ginger and I have been rolling deep for many years now. Not only does it help to ease dizziness and an unsettled stomach that is oftentimes associated with motion sickness, ginger also helps to relieve nausea that may come as the result of pregnancy or even chemotherapy. Some other benefits are it reduces blood pressure and blood sugar levels, relieves menstrual cramps and headaches, and it strengthens your immune system as well. All of these are solid reasons to drink a cup or two of warm ginger tea, at least a couple of times a week, if you can.
Try This: Immune Boosting Ginger Tea Recipe
2. Lemon Water
Lemons are loaded with Vitamin C. And since Vitamin C is the ultimate kind of antioxidant, you can understand why lemon water is the ultimate warm drink; especially during cold and flu season. If you're looking to detox your system, improve the quality of your skin, reduce kidney stones or even simply freshen your breath—warm lemon water is just what your body needs. Some other awesome things about lemon water is the flavonoids in it can increase blood circulation while increasing oxidative stress throughout your body too.
Try This: Hot Lemon Water Recipe
3. Turmeric Latte
When it comes to turmeric, make sure that you get a tea that says it contains curcumin because that is the active ingredient that supplies you with all of the benefits that I'm about to share. Turmeric tea is great because it boosts immunity; protects against liver damage; helps to keep asthma at bay; fights cancer cells, and it also reduces arthritis-related symptoms.
If a part of you is hesitant to give this a try because you're wondering if it's a little too spicy for your taste, all you need to do is add some almond milk and cinnamon and—voila! Now your tea has turned into a latte.
Try This: Turmeric Latte (Golden Milk)
4. Dark Hot Chocolate
If there's a signature drink for the fall and winter seasons, it's got to be hot chocolate. The cacao that is in it is packed with antioxidants. Dark chocolate also improves heart health and cognitive function; is great for maintaining gut health; reduces blood sugar levels; fights off free radicals, and it contains copper, iron and magnesium which is good for your hair and skin. Plus, dark chocolate is also known aphrodisiac (yes!).
Try This: The Best Hot Chocolate from Scratch
5. Chamomile and Lavender Tea
If you've got menstrual cramps, drink some chamomile tea. Want to relieve your cold symptoms? Drink some chamomile tea. If you've been having a hard time falling asleep, drink some chamomile tea. If you've got a stomachache, you're stressed out, or if you want to fight bodily inflammation, drink some chamomile tea. Yeah, chamomile tea is awesome. In fact, the only time you shouldn't drink it is if you've got severe allergies because sometimes it may have pollen in it that could trigger your symptoms.
Also, if you want to take chamomile to another level, add some lavender tea to it. Lavender contains antioxidants and volatile compounds that fight free radicals. Lavender also stimulates the release of certain neurotransmitters in your body so that you're able to feel calm and relaxed. It's the perfect tea to consume right before nighttime.
Try This: Lavender-Chamomile Herbal Tea Recipe
6. Earl Grey Hot Toddy
As someone who is a big fan of tea, I'll be the first to say that Earl Grey is one of the blander ones on the list. Still, it had to be mentioned because it contains the antioxidant catechin to protect your teeth, along with a citrus extract to keep your weight under control and properties that fight depression while giving you an energy boost at the same time. Something else that's cool about Early Grey is the bergamot that's in it can improve your immune system and also cure a fever (if you happen to have one). If you add some whiskey (which relieves stress, aids in digestion, and acts as antiseptic and numbing agent if you've got a sore throat) and honey (which is loaded with antioxidants) to the tea, you've got a hot toddy on your hands that will stop pretty much every beginning stage of a cold in its tracks.
Try This: Earl Grey Hot Toddy Recipe
7. Matcha Tea
You probably already know that green matcha tea is a form of green tea. So, why should you go the matcha route? Basically, it's because one cup of it is the equivalent of ten cups of "regular" green tea. One example of what this means is matcha tea contains 137 times more antioxidants than the standard green tea brand does. Some other benefits worth mentioning is matcha strengthens your immune system. Not only that but, it contains L-theanine to improve your level of concentration; the catechin EGCg (epigallocatechin gallate) that reduces free radicals; contains properties to improve your mood while relaxing your body and, it's also got fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins in it too.
Try This: Green Matcha Tea Recipe
8. Cinnamon Apple Cider
If you've always wondered what the difference is between apple juice and apple cider, basically cider is the unfiltered version of apple juice. You know what that means, right? When you drink cider, you're able to get more benefits from the apple itself. As far as what those benefits are—apple cider contains flavonoids that fight heart disease; fiber to fight constipation; iron to keep your blood healthy; potassium to strengthen your muscles, and pectin to absorb any bad cholesterol that may be in your system. If you add a little cinnamon into the mix, its antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties can help to keep cold- and flu-causing germs from getting you sick all fall and winter long.
Try This: Spiced Hot Apple Cider Recipe
9. Vanilla Chai Tea
One of my personal favorite drinks would have to be vanilla chai tea, whether it's hot or cold. This type of tea is good for you because it's also loaded with antioxidants. Some other perks include the fact that vanilla chai tea has the ability to improve digestion, fight anxiety, reduce the risk of diabetes and, it has anti-inflammatory properties as well. Also, if you're someone who likes to get a caffeine fix every morning, but you want to cut back a bit, vanilla chai tea will give you a dose of caffeine, although not nearly as much as a regular cup of java does.
Try This: Vanilla Chai Tea Recipe
10. Mulled Wine
Believe you me, I've read enough comments on the xoNecole platform to know that y'all are big fans of wine; specifically, red wine. That's good to know because red wine contains the polyphenol resveratrol which helps to keep your heart healthy, protect against the development of breast and colon cancer cells and, it can even aid in the prevention of vision loss too. Red wine is also great because it raises the levels of omega-3 fatty acids in your system, improves how your lungs function and, it protects your skin from UV sun ray damage (which can happen in hot and cold weather).
And just what turns a glass of wine into a hot cup of mulled wine? Usually some cinnamon, some cloves (cloves promote bone health, fight bacteria and increases liver health), a little apple cider and some oranges which are loaded with antioxidants. Maybe a few raisins for garnish as well. Make some tonight or impress some of your friends this weekend by creating a batch. It'll do your body—including your taste buds—a world of good!
Try This: Mulled Wine Recipe
Want more stories like this? Sign up for our newsletter here and check out the related reads below:
Feature image by Shutterstock
- 10 Best Herbal Teas For Wellness - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- How To Protect Your Skin In Cold Weather - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Add These Drinks to Your Beauty Routine - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Heart-Healthy Drinks for Cold Weather | Everyday Health ›
- Is Drinking Cold Water Bad for You? Digestion, Weight Loss, Energy ›
- 10 Healthy Hot Drinks to Keep You Warm this Winter ›
- 7 Healthy Warm Winter Drinks : Food Network | Food Network ... ›
- A Guide to Healthy Hot Drinks: Pantry Staples to Keep You Warm ... ›
- Drink Up! 5 Ways Hot Cocoa Is Good for Your Heath | The Weather ... ›
- Eight Healthy Hot Drinks That'll Keep You Warm This Winter ›
- Healthy Recipes: 6 Hot Drinks to Warm You Up This Winter | Shape ›
- 10 Healthy & Hot Drinks To Keep You Warm This Winter ›
- Healthy Hot Drinks for Cold Weather - MeMD Blog ›
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at email@example.com. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy