Whenever the seasons change or a holiday rolls around, I try and find a way to incorporate sex into it. For instance, last month, I wrote about how to have Halloween-themed sex and, last year, I wrote "Here's How To Have Some Really Great Fall-Themed Sex". Today, in honor of Thanksgiving—and the fact that all of us who are actually here to see it in our right mind, most definitely have much to be grateful for after all that 2020 manifested—I figured I'd focus on traditional Thanksgiving foods that can actually make your sex life better.
Hopefully, this will accomplish two things. One, it will motivate you to do a little cooking this year and two, it will prevent you from overeating so that you can have a little dessert—wink, wink—once you're done. So, let's dig into 10 Thanksgiving-themed foods that are delicious—in the kitchen as well as the bedroom. (By the way, if you click on some of the food reference links, they will take you to a few recipes. No need to thank me. It's all good.)
What in the world would Thanksgiving be without turkey (especially fried turkey, but I digress)? Health-wise, turkey is off-the-charts, in the best way possible, when it comes to protein. Turkey is also a good source of nutrients like vitamins B3, B6 and B12, selenium, phosphorus and zinc (bookmark that zinc part; I'll be circling back around to it in just a sec) and the amino acid tryptophan. The selenium in turkey helps to balance your thyroid. The Vitamin B6 helps to give your system energy. And, aside from tryptophan being able to produce what is so well known in the Black community as "the itis", that amino acid is also great at strengthening your immune system as well.
On the sex tip, turkey earns itself a round of applause because of the zinc that it's got. Not only does zinc help to increase the level of sexual arousal in both men and women, it can help your partner to maintain his erection longer too. Turkey legs for everyone!
2. Herb Stuffing
Aside from turkey, probably the most popular Thanksgiving dish is stuffing. Well, if it's really good, it's gonna have hella seasonings in it, right? If you happen to make stuffing that has garlic and sage in it, you are doing your body a world of good! Garlic is good for you because it contains potent properties that can help to fight heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer cells and, thanks to its antiviral, antimicrobial and antifungal properties specifically, it's a beast when it comes to stopping colds and the flu in their tracks. Sage is dope because it contains a fair amount of Vitamin K and antioxidants that can help to support your oral health, improve your memory, keep your bones strong, slow down signs of aging and even reduce menopause-related symptoms.
The reason why these both are must-have seasonings for your (cornbread) stuffing is because garlic has the organosulfur compound allicin in it; allicin is able to increase blood circulation in your body, including when it comes to your sex organs. Meanwhile, sage can help to keep your estrogen and progesterone levels balanced (the more balanced your hormones are, the better and sexier you'll feel) while decreasing your stress hormone cortisol, so that you're less anxious and way more calm.
Au Gratin Potatoes
As far as potatoes go, definitely sweet potatoes are the healthiest. Matter of fact, they are actually considered to be a "perfect food" (I shouted out that very point in an article about your diet vs. your sex life here). But today, since it seems that white potatoes oftentimes get a bad rap, I decided to share some of the benefits that come from eating them from time to time too. White potatoes contain a good amount of protein, fiber, vitamins B6 and C, potassium, manganese and magnesium. They also are filled with antioxidants, can help to balance out your blood sugar levels, can improve your digestion and are totally gluten-free.
It's the potassium in white potatoes that specifically make them a sex drive increaser. For one thing, potassium is able to help to regulate your thyroid while increasing sex hormone production in men. Plus, people who deal with depression-related symptoms are oftentimes low in potassium, so knowing that it can put you in a better mood is one reason to serve up some au gratin potatoes this year.
4. Roasted Asparagus
Let me just go ahead and say this on the front end—if you like to give fellatio, you might wanna skip out on this dish. On the other hand, if you borderline hate giving head, serving up some roasted asparagus may be ideal. The reason why I say that is because, some people have claimed that when their partner has asparagus within a day of engaging in oral sex, it has sometimes created an odor that is a little, let's say "odd".
Still, asparagus makes the list of semi-traditional Thanksgiving foods that are great for sex because it's a veggie that is high in folate which triggers histamine production in your body. Histamine is an organic chemical compound that helps to boost sexual arousal and can even make it easier for us to orgasm. Now do you see why it's on here?
As far as other reasons why roasted asparagus is a great Thanksgiving side dish, it's got protein, fiber, antioxidants, a good amount of Vitamin K and a fair amount of vitamins A, B1 and C. All of this can work together to lower your blood pressure, reduce bodily inflammation and protect your skin from damaging UV rays.
5. Cranberry Sauce
Pretty much the only berries that are in its peak shape during this time of the year are cranberries. When it comes to their health benefits, cranberries are considered to be a superfood because they're high in antioxidants, vitamins A, B, C and K, potassium and magnesium, with even a bit of zinc and iron too. It's especially a good idea to add them to your diet because cranberries can help to reduce your risk of heart disease, improve your oral health and they're awesome at keeping UTIs at bay.
Without question, cranberry sauce is a signature Thanksgiving treat. The reason why you should make (or serve) some this year is because the Vitamin B in them can increase your drive while the Vitamin C in them can help to synthesize your androgen, estrogen and progesterone hormones, so that you're able to stay sexually aroused.
Smoked ginger chicken with cloves. Moroccan hummus that's flavored with cloves. Homemade ginger snaps (the best ones contain cloves). These are just some of the dishes that you can offer up on Thanksgiving that have another edible item that can boost your libido. Yep. You've guessed it—cloves.
Aside from the fact that this particular spice contains a good amount of fiber, antioxidants and manganese, cloves have antimicrobial properties that can kill the kind of bacteria that leads to tooth decay. Cloves also have a reputation for being able to regulate blood sugar, increase liver health, fight the development of cancer cells, reduce stomach ulcers, make your bones stronger and also boost your libido.
On the libido tip, cloves are effective because they're the kind of spice that can warm up your body while increasing blood flow, including to your genital region. And since they can also increase your energy levels, I'm pretty sure you can see why I thought that they just had to go on this list.
7. Red Wine
Ain't nothin' wrong with a glass—or a bottle—of red wine over the holidays. It's good for you because it's the kind of alcoholic drink that is filled with antioxidants. Plus, red wine can help to keep your heart healthy, it's able to protect your body from radical cells, it can balance out your blood sugar levels and it can even reduce the risk of experiencing depression-related symptoms.
And yep, red wine is good for your sex drive too. The main reasons are because it not only has the ability to increase your sex drive, but studies have found that red wine can cause women to produce more lubrication too. Just make sure to drink enough to get tipsy and not drunk. The flip side is too much alcohol can zap your energy.
8. Hot Chocolate
A cup of hot chocolate on a cold fall day, whether it's Thanksgiving or not, is always divine. If the drink is homemade with a good amount of dark chocolate in it, you'll be enjoying something that is an excellent source of fiber, antioxidants, iron, magnesium, copper, potassium, zinc and manganese. All of these things can help to protect your skin from damaging UV rays, protect your heart, improve your brain function, fight off free radicals, boost your mood, reduce your risk of getting diabetes and can control your appetite which can ultimately lead to weight loss over time.
Sipping a little with your Thanksgiving evening dessert can increase blood circulation throughout your entire body. And, since dark chocolate is proven to be able to trigger the production of serotonin and dopamine in your system, drinking some hot chocolate can make you want to get extra close to your partner as well. #drinkup
9. Apple Crisp
Most of us have heard the saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". Well, when you stop to think about all of the good things that can come from eating this piece of fruit, there actually can be quite a bit of truth within that statement. First up, apples are a good source of fiber and Vitamin C, plus it contains small amounts of many other vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, B, E and K along with manganese, potassium and copper. As far as health benefits go, apples are great because they help to keep your cholesterol levels in check, can lower your diabetes risk, promote good gut health, will protect your lungs from oxidative stress and even apples even help to stop your brain from experiencing mental decline
And just what can apples do for your libido? Well, because they are full of the flavonoid (which is an antioxidant) called quercetin, apples are able to increase blood circulation to your genitalia, help to fight erectile dysfunction in men and also strengthen sexual desire in women. Apple crisp, anyone?
10. Pumpkin Pie
Last year, I watched a video that addressed the long-standing debate within the Black community about what's better—sweet potato or pumpkin pie (Tony Baker and KevOnStage debated it here and Kev had some friends try pumpkin pie here). Personally, I like them both; however, on the sex tip, it's gonna be pumpkin pie for the win, each and every time!
Aside from the fact that the combination of pumpkin and lavender essential oils can increase a man's erection speed by as much as 40 percent (crazy, right?), pumpkins are another food that are high in zinc (we already discussed what zinc does) and omega-3 fatty acids which can help to balance out the prostaglandins (hormone-like substances), so that you are able to maintain great sexual health.
And since pumpkin is also a signature Thanksgiving fruit that is loaded with Vitamin A, protein, fiber while also being a good source of Vitamin C, copper, potassium and manganese, and since it can also help to strengthen your visual, boost your immune system, give you healthy skin, protect your heart and reduce your risks of being diagnosed with a chronic disease—why in the world would you not wanna serve up a delicious homemade pumpkin pie this year? Eat up and enjoy. On every level, y'all!
Join our xoTribe, an exclusive community dedicated to YOU and your stories and all things xoNecole. Be a part of a growing community of women from all over the world who come together to uplift, inspire, and inform each other on all things related to the glow up.
Featured image by Shutterstock
- It's October. Trick-Or-Treat Sex, Anyone? - xoNecole: Women's ... ›
- 15 Vegan Soul Food Dishes That'll Make You Rethink Meat ... ›
- 4 Vegan Soul Food Dishes for A Guiltless Thanksgiving - xoNecole ... ›
- It's October. Trick-Or-Treat Sex, Anyone? - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at email@example.com. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
What's a classic manicure look getting a fall 2023 aesthetic update? Look no further than the micro-French nails that are trending this fall. Minimal nail art ideas are in, and the super thin lines within the micro-French nail trend scream minimal chic when it comes to nail design choice.
If you're wondering exactly what to request from your nail tech, according to Cosmopolitan, there's been "a rise in micro-French manis on square nail shapes." And if you are in need of a little nail inspo to bookmark for your next appointment, we have you covered on that front, too.
Keep scrolling for design ideas for your future set of micro-French nails.
Micro-French Nail Art Ideas
Micro-French Fall Nails
Minimal Nail Art Designs for Fall
Fall Micro-French Nails
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Tatsiana Volkava/Getty Images