We have a sneak peek of every trend you'll need to obsess over next season.
New York Fashion Week is a fashion lover's fantasy full of trends, street style, and new obsessions. This February, we trekked from Industria to Spring Studios to Pier 59 on the island to ensure you have an efficient style guide come Fall/Winter.
And now that the week's come to an end, here's your #xoTrendReport!
Exclusive Interview with Son Jung Wan
Photography by Dani Elle Moore
We got the amazing opportunity to meet and chat with the South Korean designer, Son Jung Wan, before her fall collection was displayed for the world to see.
She told us, "This collection was inspired by romance and retro art by using different textures to convey a mood."
The spirit was enthralled by playful and feminine vibes through a soft and futuristic touch. She also shared that she loves being a designer because she enjoys creating collections every year and styling. We got a sneak peek before the show began and we were in awe!
Flip through this slideshow for more!
Left to right: Jiri Kalfar and Hakan Akkaya
It's safe to say that it's also OK to let your inner rock star shine with bold pieces. Whether it's thigh high boots or a cape, you have no choice but to slay the day.
Left to right: Chromat, Out of Order at Oxford Fashion Studio, Dian Pelangi at Indonesian Diversity
We love when brands use their platforms to portray a message. For example, Chromat is one of our faves because not only is it hella all-inclusive of all women but the designer lives to make the world a better place. Chromat designer, Becca McCharen-Tran hedged a new social topic of sustainability. During the show, models donned exotic adornments, reminiscent of Miami Beach where her inspiration derived from. Becca wants us to appreciate the raw of beauty of earth instead of continuing to overconsume it for our modern desires. Above all, Chromat wanted us to be aware of the plastic pollution because it truly effects mother Earth.
Left to right: 112 Mountainyam at Fashion Hong Kong, Anveglosa at Fashion Hong Kong, Heaven Please+ at Fashion Hong Kong, Farah Naz at Oxford Fashion Studio, Jyu Ri Ri at Oxford Fashion Studio, C'est D at Oxford Fashion Studio, Quaint at Oxford Fashion Studio, Harlienz X Ghada Al Buainain
Cues from the runway suggest that you ditch that simple black coat for an energetic overcoat. When the temperature drops, your outerwear is how you make a fashion statement so you should make sure you're saying the right thing.
Modesty is a FLY Policy
Left to right: Hogan McLaughlin, Noon by Noor, NONIE
Modesty led the runways in a simplistic way. From classic silhouettes to flowing separates, there's room to be a stylish minimalist next season. The key is to maintain a neutral color palette with tailored items.
The Color Purple
From top left: Cushnie, Sies Marjan, Tom Ford; Sally LaPointe, Christian Siriano, Kate Spade New York
...And not the classic film. Come this autumn, hues of lavender to plum will dominate the stores and you will be able to snag a popping piece of purple. You can opt for a head to toe monochromatic look or choose accessories for that perfect pop of color.
Prints, Prints and MORE PRINTS!
Left to Right: Dian Pelangi, Itang Yunasz, 2 Madison Avenue, Alleira Batik (all from Indonesian Diversity)
If you are lacking eclectic prints in your closet, it's time to step it up. Lucky for you, we still have time! We saw so many lush patterns and prints on the runway we are sure that you will have countless ways to rock this trend.
Take These 8 Fashion Risks In 2019 – Read More
What Your Zodiac Says About Your Style – Read More
6 Effortlessly Sexy Date Night Outfits That Are Better Than Your Average – Read More
- The Best NYFW Fall Winter 2019 Trends | Who What Wear ›
- The Biggest Street Style Trends at New York Fashion Week Fall ... ›
- NYFW Fall 2019 Beauty Trends for Hair and Makeup - Allure ›
- New York Fashion Week Fall & Winter 2019 - NYFW FW19 ›
- 7 Top Trends From the New York Fall 2019 Runways - Fashionista ›
- NYFW Trends Fall Winter 2019 Popular Styles ›
- 2019 New York Fashion Week Trends To Buy Right Now ›
Joce Blake is a womanist who loves fashion, Beyonce and Hot Cheetos. The sophistiratchet enthusiast is based in Brooklyn, NY but has southern belle roots as she was born and raised in Memphis, TN. Keep up with her on Instagram @joce_blake and on Twitter @SaraJessicaBee.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images