We have a rare occurrence happening at the end of August, and that is the Super Blue Moon in Pisces. This Full Moon is rare because it is a Full Moon, Supermoon, and Blue Moon all in one, and is the biggest Full Moon of the year. The phrase, “Once every Blue Moon,” comes from this moon cycle, as it signifies the second Full Moon in one month, the first one being on August 1st in Aquarius.
What Is a Blue Moon?
Blue Moons are a symbol of spiritual and emotional renewal and a time when you gain the insight you have been looking for. A Blue Moon like this won’t occur again until 2032, so this is the time to do the inner work and experience a true refresh in your life.
Nourish your world, let go of what doesn’t serve, and reconnect to your dreams.
When is the Super Blue Moon of 2023?
The Super Blue Moon will be occurring on August 30th at 9:35 p.m. EST. Because the Super Blue Moon occurs in the water sign Pisces, this time will be an emotional one for the collective. Full Moons in general, are more focused on acceptance, letting go, and bringing attention to the gratitude in your life. This Super Blue Moon is awakening the heart and transforming what happens moving forward. With the Sun and Mercury retrograde currently in Virgo, opposite of where the Super Moon and Saturn will be, we are being asked to find our balance between what’s working and what hasn’t been and to create more space for emotional blessings and stability to enter.
This is a good time to declutter, open the heart, focus on gratitude, and be more vulnerable with others. Light a candle, be near a body of water, create art, and do the things that bring you closer to the universe.
There is strength in your emotions if you honor them rather than let them overwhelm you, and this Super Blue Moon is a rite of passage to the next phase of your dreams. With Mercury and Venus both in retrograde right now, things aren’t as clear as we’d like them to be; this Supermoon is a helping hand and the insight that makes all the difference. Don’t get discouraged. Move on to better.
Read below to see how this Super Blue Moon will be affecting you. Look at your sun and rising sign for deeper insight.
We Are/Getty Images
What the Blue Super Moon of 2023 Has in Store for Your Sign
This Super Blue Moon for you, Aries, is a time to slow down. The Supermoon will be occurring at the very bottom of your chart, giving you the space needed to experience an emotional renewal. You are doing a lot of contemplating, and you are opening your eyes to the past, present, and future and how they are all intertwining for you now. Own your voice, and trust your intuition. You do not have to hide your truth for the comfort of anyone else, and you are free to communicate, honor your peace of mind, and create boundaries where needed.
Life comes full circle for you during this Blue Moon, Taurus. This Blue Moon is a chance for you to take a look around and to accept and process the joy and inner discovery you have found as of late. There is emotional fulfillment, support, and friendship in your life, and you are getting the opportunity to see that all a little clearer right now. Jupiter, the planet of blessings and expansion, has been in your sign since May and goes retrograde a few days after the Supermoon. Take this time to let things come together once and for all before you have to take a few steps back again.
You are moving through a time of transformation this Supermoon, Gemini. Things are changing, and your guidance for this time is to flow with them rather than to fight this change. Know that what is falling apart for you right now is showing the cracks that need to be mended in your life so that you can walk on more solid ground and loving foundations. Career and professional life are experiencing some shake-ups, and it’s time to let go of one dream to build a new one that feels more freeing and fulfilling for you now.
This Supermoon is happening in a fellow water sign, giving you an extra boost of magic and positive energy in your life. This time for you is about finding your balance between the adventures you want to go on and the newfound stability and safety in your life, Cancer. Know that you can do both and have it all and that sometimes the big adventure is doing something fun in the environments you are comfortable in, with the people you are comfortable with. Inspiration is high for you right now, and you have the power to decide what you do with it.
You are moving on to bigger and better things, Leo. This Super Blue Moon is an emotionally heightened time for you and one where you are looking at the commitments, intimacy, and vulnerability in your life. Your emotions are transforming, and you are going through a rebirth. Overall, this Full Moon for you is about moving forward and away from what’s been holding you back from living your truth and honoring your happiness. Notice what partnerships enlighten and inspire you and which ones leave you feeling more drained. Know that there is love on the other side of the fear you are walking away from right now.
This Super Blue Moon is all about aligning with harmony, Virgo. You are receiving the blessings, love, and peace that you have been looking for, and there is a good balance in your life this Full Moon. With the Sun currently in your sign and the Moon in your opposite sign, Pisces, relationship matters are becoming clearer to you now, and the work that you have been putting in is coming full circle for you. Honor what’s leaving your life and what is coming in, and notice how everything works out for your highest good, even when you are least expecting it.
Honor your divine intuition, and make the decisions that resonate with your heart, Libra. You are letting go of the past and recognizing that what you are letting go of is being replaced with something better. This Super Moon for you is about taking care of your health and well-being, taking care of your responsibilities, and supporting yourself regardless of who is by your side. You have the power to move forward, and you are divinely protected as you do. Listen to your heart and your mind, and notice the gift you are in this life, Libra.
This Supermoon is a chance to let go of any heaviness you have been carrying in your life, Scorpio. You are getting an opportunity to regroup and lighten your load so that you can move forward with less emotional baggage than before. You are nearing the end of an important cycle in your life, and this Super Moon for you is a time of closure, culmination, and moving into your happiness. Get creative with where life is headed, take note of the spark you have found, and trust that the paths you are paving in your life right now will show fruition for you in the future.
This Super Blue Moon, for you, is about trusting the divine timing of your life and where things stand right now, Sagittarius. There can be some impatience you are feeling in your life around the time of the Full Moon, and you are being asked to trust that everything is unfolding exactly how it is meant to, in the timing it is meant to as well. A little bit more faith in the universe is required now as you wait for more answers to come and for the path to clear. Focus on the healing you can do now and on gaining a renewed perspective.
Your strength is needed during this Supermoon, Capricorn. Important revelations are coming in, but there could be some harsh reality checks you are experiencing in the process. Give yourself the time and space to connect to your heart and the duality that is showing in your life, and know that magic will come from this. Communication is key right now as you dive deeper into what is really going on in your mind, body, and soul. Use your inner compass to move you forward, and stand your ground when it comes to what matters to you most.
It’s time to invest in yourself, Aquarius. This Super Blue Moon is highlighting where you have been feeling stuck and what limitations you may be putting on yourself both consciously and unconsciously. The energy that is flowing through your life now is helping you to create breakthroughs by recognizing some of the mirrors of the life experiences you have been through recently. By getting to the bottom of things, honoring your self-worth, and planning accordingly, you can unleash your true potential. Financial matters are more pressing now, but you have the power within you to turn this into a blessing.
The rarest Full Moon of 2023 is in your sign, and this is fitting for the rare type of energy you are, Pisces. This Super Blue Moon is a time of your blessings falling down on your lap and when you can finally take a deep breath of relief. Life is coming full circle, and you are loving what you are seeing right now. Write down lists of gratitude, congratulate yourself for how far you have come, and look in the mirror with more appreciation. The spotlight is on you right now, and you are free to be who you are or who you want to be.
This is a self-fulfilling and abundant time for you, Pisces. You are worth it.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Getty Images
Tayler Barakat is a Mystic who has studied Astrology for over a decade. She does intuitive astrology and tarot readings for people all over the world, and her work focuses on healing and empowering individuals. Follow her on Instagram @taylerbarakat_ and check out her website www.listentothevirgo.com.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Imma tell y’all what — it seems like not one week goes by when I don’t see some sort of so-called term that has me like, “What in the world?” For instance, when I first stumbled upon “self-partnering,” honestly, I laughed. Then shared it with some other single people as well as married folks I know. And I kid you not, every individual was like, “What the heck does that mean?” When I told them that it was yet, one more way to seemingly define single living, basically everyone’s follow-up was, “Oh, brother.”
Why can’t (more) singles just be single and be okay with that? Good Lord. Why does there need to be some sort of relational play-on-words to make it sound like we’re with someone — even if we’re not?
Now masturdating? Even though it’s not even close to being a “real” word, it’s something that also brought a laugh outta me — although it was then followed by a genuine smile. The laugh because I almost immediately caught the play-on-words. The smile was due to the intention behind it all.
If you’re not familiar with what masturdating is and you’re curious about why you should even care, take a few moments to at least skim through what it’s about and why I think participating, as a single person, is a pretty cool (and effective) concept.
Masturdate: a date w oneself
What’s Masturdating All About?
Masturdating. Okay, so let the word marinate for just a moment. What does it sound like? Yeah…exactly. And since a huge part of masturbation centers around self-pleasure, it’s cool to explore how “self-dating” could produce similar (as far as pleasure is concerned in a broader sense) results. Because masturdating is all about spending quality time with yourself, pampering yourself, treating yourself— and yes, taking yourself out on dates.
Any of you who may think that masturdating is a consolation prize — and a pitiful one at that — for not being able to go out with another human being or get that dream $200 first date that social media was all in a tizzy about last year (bookmark that) — personally, I think that you’re the demographic who needs to try out masturdating first and the most. Why? Off top, I’ll share my three good reasons.
3 Reasons To Strongly Consider Masturdating
1. It’s an intimate way to get to know yourself better. I’ve been working with couples for a pretty long time at this point and if there’s a pattern that I see arise, OFTEN, it’s that two people are oftentimes so busy trying to “find their person” that they didn’t even know who they were. As a direct result, they found themselves in a relationship with someone who only complemented the “kiddie pool version” of who they were.
That’s why it can be so beneficial to spend time getting to know yourself on the “deep end” of things: what makes you tick, what your passions are, what you want most out of life, what are your interests beyond obvious things — and masturdating can help you to discover all of this. Whether it’s traveling alone or taking out a weekend to drink some wine and journal, the more you get to know yourself, the clearer you’ll be about who complements you on a romantic and friendship level.
2. It will definitely help to boost your confidence levels. I guess since I’m an ambivert, I don’t really get why people freak out at the mere thought of going to a restaurant or movie alone. Personally, I think it requires a helluva lot more energy and gumption to wait around and plan stuff with other people (#Elmoshrug). However, whether you’re an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert, there’s no way around the fact that the more comfortable you get with doing things alone, the more your confidence levels will increase — no, soar — because of it.
One article that I read on the topic said that doing things alone can make you more creative, improve your mental health, and help you to be totally okay with being alone (so that you’re not “needy” for other people’s attention). A psychotherapist from a New York Times article on the benefits of spending time alone said, “Getting better at identifying moments when we need solitude to recharge and reflect can help us better handle negative emotions and experiences, like stress and burnout.” And when you’re able to stare negativity in its face without flinching, how could that not make you bolder, more self-secure, and hopeful about your life?
3. It will teach you to value your time more effectively. In every facet of your world, you’re gonna operate from a healthier place if you’re operating from a “full cup” rather than an empty one. When it comes to this topic, think about it — if you’re constantly waiting on someone to call you to go out or wishing for a dream date with some guy, all you’re doing is wasting precious time that you could be spending taking a cooking class or hell, hiring a chef to make you dinner at your own home.
Indeed, waiting has two sides to it: when it’s in the form of patience, it is indeed a virtue, yet when it’s wrapped up in the notion that you’re not really living life unless you have an audience…it is totally working against you. Choose wisely.
10 Solo Date Ideas To Help You To “Master” Masturdating
So, what if you’re someone who has either never considered actually masturdating before or you don’t really know what to do beyond dinner and the movies? Here are a few ideas to consider:
1. Attend a workshop or masterclass that you’re interested in. If there’s something that you’ve always wanted to learn, sign up for a workshop or masterclass. The cool thing about this option is there are probably some in your city, as well as some that you can find online (like here) that are convenient and affordable.
2. Binge-read at a local coffee shop. Aside from their coziness and oftentimes inviting scents, I once read that a lot of us gravitate to coffee shops because we can be around people without having to actually socialize with them. So, if you want to “hang out” while still being able to enjoy a bit of solitude, take a book that you’ve been trying to finish to a local coffee shop, order your favorite latte, and sit in a big-ass comfy chair. Usually, you can sit there for hours, and the staff will be just fine with it (another bonus).
3. Have a spa day in the next town. You can never go wrong with a spa day. And while going with a friend can be fun, sometimes there’s too much talking transpiring to be able to fully chill out and relax. So, go off of the grid, get a change of scenery, and hit up a spa in the next city (or town). There are lots of studies out here supporting that day trips or “daycations” can actually be really good for your long-term health and well-being.
4. See a community play. Some of the best solo dates that I’ve ever been on consisted of taking in some of the local arts in my city. What’s really cool about this particular option is, oftentimes, they are extremely inexpensive, if not totally free of charge (in exchange for making a donation or putting money into a tip jar).
5. Plan a trip. Whenever people say something along the lines of, “If you don’t expect anything, you won’t be disappointed,” I know that they low-key have some (additional) healing to do from past disappointments. There’s simply too much intel out here to support that anticipation (of good stuff) makes us more motivated and optimistic, keeps our dopamine levels up, and makes life more exciting overall.
Since traveling alone is more cost-effective, gives you the freedom to do whatever you want (when you want), and increases the possibility of meeting new people and having new experiences on your journey — why not devote a day this weekend to planning a solo trip? All the way around, it’s good for you.
6. Try your hand at your own “$200 date.” Uh-huh. Roll your eyes if you want to, but it’s real easy to talk left about how a man should be able to just drop $200 like it’s nothing…until you actually try to do it. So yes, while taking yourself out on this type of date could serve as a bit of a reality check, it can also “scratch the itch” of waiting on some dude to do it for you. It’s also way less emotionally draining because, at least when you’re taking your own self out, it’s guaranteed that you’ll enjoy the company…right?
7. DIY some pampering. When you get a chance, check out “5 Reasons You Should Unapologetically Pamper Yourself,” “Want To Love On Yourself? Try These 10 Things At Home.,” “I’ve Got Some Ways For You To Start Pampering Your Soul,” and “When's The Last Time You Actually Pampered Your Vagina?” The bottom line here is pampering is all about, not mere self-maintenance; it’s all about treating yourself to levels of EXTREME SELF-INDULGENCE. So, if nothing else tickles your fancy on this list, at least consider doing that, chile.
8. Feed your creativity. Something that I used to be really good at is art. That said, one of my goddaughters is insanely talented, so she has reminded me to tap back into it. Also, a big part of what got me into the writing world is poetry; I actually used to be a house poet at a local spot. Sometimes, my best quality time moments with myself have been revisiting these creative sides of me — and this is definitely easier to do (and enjoy) alone.
9. Try some stargazing. When’s the last time you took a blanket into your backyard, laid down on it, and just stared at the stars for hours on end? While some say that stargazing can teach you to be mindful, others say that being in that form of nature reduces stress, while others believe that looking up at the universe at night can increase your attention span. All solid reasons to give it a shot, if you ask me.
10. DO. ABSOLUTELY. NOTHING. Let me tell you something that nobody will ever be able to make me feel bad about: doing absolutely nothing. I’ve got data to back me up. Good Housekeeping shares that doing nothing can help you decide how you want to respond or react to certain things. I like howThe Guardian says that taking this approach helps you to regain control of what you give your attention to.
TIME magazine says that it can ultimately make you more productive.BBC offers up that it can help you tap into your ingenuity.Henry Ford Health says that it can make you kinder and a better problem-solver. So, if you want to invest in yourself, do nothing sometimes.
Closing Thoughts from the Lovely Javicia Leslie
While some of y'all may know Javicia Leslie from being the former Batwoman, I discovered her back in the day from the indie series Chef Julian (and yes, "Julian" was right to say that "Mo" looks like Tatyana Ali...the real ones know). Sometimes I'll hop on her IG to see what she's got going on and this story popped up within a few hours of me penning this...so, I took it as hella confirmation.
TREAT YO SELF. WAIT FOR NO ONE.
WAIT FOR NO ONE. TREAT YO SELF.
RINSE AND REPEAT.
Sooo…what kind of masturdating plans do you have for this coming weekend? While going out with others has its perks, hanging out with yourself has a ton of ‘em too. Enjoy!
No…for real. ENJOY!
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by FOTOGRAFIA, INC./Getty Images