The birth of any child is a big deal but the birth of your first baby is an even bigger deal because...well because it's your first and you don't know what to expect. There's so much for first-time moms to do and ensuring that you get everything that your newborn needs can be overwhelming.
As a first-time mom, once you buy all of the cute clothes, the car seat, the crib, bottles, diapers, and pacifiers, it can be a daunting task to figure out the baby must-haves your baby may need. You're going to want your precious baby to have the absolute best so you'll probably feel the urge to buy all of the things. Yep. Every single last one of them.
But before you do, check out this list of 20 essentials first-time moms swear by.
*Some of the links provided are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, xoNecole may make a small commission. Thank you for supporting brands that keep the platform running.
Late Night feedings. Need I say more? A favorite amongst first time moms is the VAVA VA-CL006 Night Light.
A lot of time you can feel that your baby is too warm but you'll still want a reliable thermometer at home for an accurate temperature reading. While a rectal thermometer is no fun for mom or baby, it is the most accurate way to get a temperature reading. The Safety 1st 3-in-1 Thermometer offers three modes for temperature reading: underarm, rectal, and oral.
Babies grow fast and that includes their nails too. You'll definitely need a pair so that they won't scratch themselves or you. A common piece of advice is to clip your newborn's nails while they sleep. These clippers come with a LED light that helps you see better in the dark.
Pottery Barn Kids
It's inevitable, people are going to buy your baby toys and stuffed animals. They can and will start to add up. Investing in some aesthetically pleasing nursery storage will help keep things a little more organized for you. Babylist has compiled a list of the best nursery storage here.
The Playtex Diaper Genie Expressions Customizable Diaper Pail is a favorite because it can be customized to match the nursery.
Baby skin is so smooth and soft. Ah...I love it. But because of that, it can be prone to irritation. Diaper cream helps prevent and treat diaper rash. The best all-around according to first-time moms is the Boudreaux's Butt Paste.
This 7-piece kit comes with first aid tools like a nasal aspirator, a baby thermometer, and a medicine dropper among other essentials. If you're interested in making your very own first aid kit for your baby, click here to learn more.
I don't have to tell you that babies spit up..a lot. First-time moms say they ended up going through a lot of these so a fan favorite was the Burt's Bees Organic Cotton Burp Cloths. A first-time mom said they are "sustainable, organic, and very soft."
The Snotsucker made by NoseFrida was a favorite for newborns. Be sure to check with the pediatrician before using it, though.
Brushes can help combat cradle cap and per all of the videos on the Gram, it will feel pretty darn good to your baby too. A friend of mine who is a first-time mom swears by the Skinsoother Baby Hair Brush created by FridaBaby.
Blankets have so many uses. They can be used to keep your baby warm or swaddle them. When on-the-go, they can even be used as a changing "table". The Aden + Anais Swaddle Blanket is great for making sure baby doesn't get too warm.
Bottle Brush: Philips Avent Bottle Brush In Grey
Have you ever tried to clean the bottom of a bottle with your adult hand? The Philips Avent Bottle Brush is specifically designed to clean baby bottles efficiently and effectively.
Not all public restrooms have changing tables––and the ones that do can be pretty gross. A portable changing pad will definitely make life easier and cleaner. The MAMAN Portable Changing Diaper Pad Station is great when you're on-the-go and it's waterproof too.
Mom Loves Best compiled a list of best nipple creams for breastfeeding of 2020. Cora's Organic Nipple Balm makes an appearance on that list as one of the best cruelty-free nipple creams on the market. Need we say more?
If you're traveling alone a car mirror can allow you to see your baby in a rear-facing car seat. Mom's love the Munchkin Brica Baby In-Sight Car Mirror. It's crash tested and shatter-resistant.
While any teether will do, first-time moms swear by Sophie La Giraffe as a teether for their babies.
While it may not be a necessity, first-time moms swear that a baby bathtub makes bath time a little easier for a slippery and squirming baby. The First Years Sure Comfort Deluxe Infant to Toddler Tub is a favorite because it can be used for longer than most tubs as your baby grows.
Another item that moms said made life easier when it's time to warm those bottles is The First Years Quick Serve Bottle Warmer. This miracle product even sanitizes pacifiers.
Baby skin is delicate and detergent specially formulated for their skin can be one less thing to worry about. Honest has a Hypoallergenic Baby Laundry Detergent that moms love.
Breast milk is liquid gold and can be put in the freezer for use at a later time. Storage bags definitely come in handy. Lansinoh who has been in the breastfeeding game for years makes breastmilk storage bags as well.
Of course, this list is not all-inclusive. As a first-time mom, you may find that you use some, all, or none of these items. Always check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about anything when it comes to your precious bundle of joy.
Join our xoTribe, an exclusive community dedicated to YOU and your stories and all things xoNecole. Be a part of a growing community of women from all over the world who come together to uplift, inspire, and inform each other on all things related to the glow up.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
- The Checklist Of Essentials All First-Time Moms Swear By | News ... ›
- Baby Gear: Essentials Checklist | Pampers ›
- Hospital Bag Checklist: Everything You Need for Mom and Baby ›
- Baby must-haves: A list for first-time parents | BabyCenter ›
- Baby Must-Haves (and Don't-Needs) for Your Registry | Parents ›
- Baby Checklist: 56 Baby Essentials ›
- Baby Registry Checklist: Exactly What to Put on a Baby Registry ›
- Newborn checklist: Everything you need before your baby arrives ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images