I'm all about reclaiming my time and tapping into my inner peace. Yoga has a reputation for helping us accomplish a satisfying "woosah" we all need. But before you get ready to master the downward dog, the yoga mat you use can truly determine what type of yoga experience you'll have. The thickness, material, length, and even cell type of a yoga mat are all factors to consider when you're on the hunt for your perfect yoga accessory.
*Some links are affiliate links. If you make a purchase, xoNecole may earn a small commission.
While you're still perfecting your yoga poses, this mat is protecting your joints and body. It has a high-density foam that reduces the soreness you might experience once you're finished. It's water-resistant so feel free to wash it down with soap and water. It also touts a free yoga mat strap to secure in between classes.
2.Lululemon's The Reversible Mat 3mm
For those who have enough on their mind while practicing yoga, the Reversible Yoga Mat 3mm from Lululemon serves more than one purpose. It has an impressive grip to make sure you don't slip during those sweaty yoga classes. The top layer even absorbs sweat and moisture. Flip over the mat to the other side when you want more of a cushion.
B Mat Everyday Mat
It's perfect if you want to indulge in a yoga session from the comfort of your own home. The B MAT Everyday Mat is long-lasting and has a solid grip. It has a superior cushion and was created to battle heat and sweat, making it ideal if you want to take on yoga on a daily basis.
Whether you're a pro or just getting the hang of the yoga lifestyle, the Gaiam Yoga Mat is an overall option. There's lots of cushion, but the mat won't slide back and forth. It comes with a downloadable yoga workout, which will help you if you're just getting started.
If hot yoga is calling you every day, the Aurorae Synergy 2 in 1 mat might be calling you too. It comes with a mat and a towel for those extra sweaty sessions. In fact, this was created for hot yoga lovers in mind because the more you sweat, the better the grip.
Is having just one mat for all of your yoga needs ideal for you? The Alo Yoga Warrior Mat doesn't just come in an assortment of chic colors like Smoky Quartz and Eclipse, it's also an all-around mat that you can take to any type of course (and look cute doing it).
If yoga is something new for you, the Heathyoga Eco-Friendly non-Slip mat caters to beginners. The top layer includes lines that help make sure your hands and feet are in place for each pose. A second layer serves as a tight grip to help your balance. And it's eco-friendly!
Suga Yoga Mat
Suga took sustainability to another level when it released a yoga mat line made out of recycled wetsuits. They're nonslip and have an oversized option for the taller ladies. The product is made of natural rubber. Suga also plants a tree for each recycled yoga mat that it sells.
The Manduka eKO Lite 4mm Yoga Mat is a top choice for those looking for a lightweight product. It's not extremely heavy or spongy, but also doesn't shift during a yoga session. It only weighs about five pounds, so it can easily be tucked into a suitcase for travel without taking up too much space.
Are you a member of our insiders' squad? Join us in the xoTribe Members Community today!
Featured image by Shutterstock
- Yoga Sex Positions: Poses That Improve Your Sex Life - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Types Of Yoga: The Best Practice To Take - xoNecole: Lifestyle, Culture, Love, & Wellness ›
- 11 of the Best Yoga Mats for Beginners, Pros and Everyone In ... ›
- 12 Best Yoga Mats on Amazon 2021 | The Strategist | New York ... ›
- 16 best yoga mats and accessories of 2021 - TODAY ›
- The 10 Best Yoga Mats of 2021 ›
- 12 Best Yoga Mats to Buy in 2021 - Yoga Mat Reviews ›
- The Best Yoga Mats For Beginners | HuffPost Life ›
- The 6 Best Yoga Mats For Beginners ›
Charmaine Patterson is a journalist, lifestyle blogger, and a lover of all things pop culture. While she has much experience in covering top entertainment news stories, she aims to share her everyday life experiences, old and new, with other women who can relate, laugh, and love along with her. Follow Char on Twitter @charjpatterson, Instagram @charpatterson, and keep up with her journey at CharJPatterson.com .
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images