Finding the perfect drugstore concealer used to be a major challenge for me, so much so that I gave up on drugstore brands and made Nordstrom my destination for all of my beauty purchases. Since my skin tone is not only dark (while not the darkest on the spectrum), but has a yellow undertone, finding a product that didn't leave me ashy and red felt impossible.
Before diversity and inclusion became buzzwords in the beauty industry, many brands weren't making space for us on the shelves of our local drugstores. We're in a new day and age in the beauty world (though there is still a ways to go) where brands are making concealer options for us that speak to the nuances of our skin tones.
Here are six drugstore concealer options that offer a range of shades for us brown beauties:
ColourPop No Filter Matte Concealer
ColourPop Cosmetics Instagram
Makeup lovers everywhere have probably found a ColourPop lip color or eye shadow they can't live without — their concealer seems to be no exception. With a range of thirty shades and a $6 price tag, this matte concealer will be a staple in your makeup bag.
Black Radiance Perfect Blend Concealer
I have been using this concealer since I was a teenager. One of my favorite things about the foundation-concealer duo is that I have options. I use this to cover dark spots hormonal pimples leave and to add a natural contour to my cheekbones.
L.A. GIRL HD Pro Concealer
Color correcting is the name of the game with budget-friendly concealer. Beauty bloggers often shout this product out during their tutorials, and thanks to its range of shades and color correction options, you'll get the flawless coverage you're looking for without a high dollar price tag.
Black Opal EVEN TRUE Brightening Concealer
If you're looking for an under eye concealer, this medium to full coverage concealer gives you the coverage you need without the creasing. The packaging also comes with a roller ball that some users seem to like while others find it gets in the way, but we'll let you decide for yourselves.
IMAN Second to None Stick Foundation
Twitter/ IMAN Cosmetics
IMAN's foundation stick is another go-to product I have used off and on since my teenage years. It's labeled as a foundation, but I use it as a concealer to cover dark circles, as a spot treatment for dark spots, and as a contour stick.
Maybelline New York Fit Me Concealer
Maybelline recently added four new concealer colors: honey, caramel, tan, and hazelnut to their Fit Me options. Since there are only twelve shades, you may not be able to find your perfect match, but this non-comedogenic, fragrance-free option might be worth a shot.
Do you have a favorite drugstore concealer? We want to hear your thoughts, let us know in the comments!
Featured image by Getty Images.
The 10 Best Over-The-Counter & Natural Makeup Removers - Read More
Black-Owned Beauty Brands That Were So Good We're Taking Them Into 2019 - Read More
Amazon Just Released A Line Of Skincare Products That's Under $40 - Read More
- The $10 Product That's Missing From Your Everyday Makeup Routine ›
- What's My Skin Undertone? How To Find It - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- 16 Best Foundations Offering Range For Dark Skin 2020 - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Best Concealers for Darker Skin Tones and Women of Color - Allure ›
- Concealer That Matches YOU –The Best Brands For Dark Skin ... ›
- 23 Best Under-Eye Concealer for Over 50 - Woman's World ›
- 9 Best Concealers for Dark Skin: NARS, Bobbi Brown & More ›
- THE TOP 5 BEST FULL COVERAGE CONCEALERS FOR WOMEN ... ›
- 9 Best Under-Eye Concealers Black Skin 2018 ›
- 5 BEST AFFORDABLE CONCEALERS FOR WOMEN OF COLOR ... ›
- The Best Drugstore Makeup For Brown Skin, Because WOC ... ›
- Best Concealer For Darker Skin Tones, Women Of Color ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
One thing about Megan Thee Stallion is that she’s going to motivate you to stay active. From afar, she seems like the perfect gym bestie, and up close, it looks like her workouts would have us gasping for air. But hey, she doesn’t call her routines “bootcamp” for nothing.
After an extended break from social media and the public eye, the Houston Hottie is back sharing the high-energy workouts that are keeping her lean and she’s happy to report that “the results have been resulting."
The 28-year-old rapper dropped an Instagram Reel, detailing the workout routine that’s putting her endurance to the test. With the help of her personal trainer, Megan has one word in mind when it comes to her progress and that’s: “Consistency.”
The “Savage” artist has been traveling, making “hot girl moves," and after returning from a trip to New York, she expressed that her trainer is pushing her to keep the same energy back in the gym.
“I had just gotten back from New York and I told my trainer, ‘Look, friend, I was having a time. Can you please take it easy?’” Megan said. “He said, ‘Hmm, I’ve seen you doing all that hot girl s—, so what you need to do is get in that gym and have that same energy.’”
Her trainer then instructed her to do jumping squats with an exercise ball and resistance band around her legs for an extra burn. “I put my thing down, flipped it, and reversed it and that’s what happened. This sh– burned like a motherf—,” she teased in the video’s voiceover while executing both forward and backward jumping squats.
It’s clear that when it comes to Megan’s fitness, her trainer doesn’t play around about pushing her to her limits. In the next set of her cardio moves, we see the Grammy-winning artist jumping rope and moving on to a combination of mountain climbers and lateral jumps over a speed hurdle.
“Right here, that’s when I realized: I’ve been saying my trainer’s crazy but I know he’s really, really crazy because he must think that I’m trying out for the Houston Texans or something,” she joked.
To finish her workout, Meg hit two more barbell exercises, one being a set of cleans with 10-pound weight plates on the barbell. She then closed out by doing lunges with the barbell racked on her shoulders.
Of course, the best way to close out a workout is to nourish yourself with a balanced meal. Meg showed off her delicious post-workout plate with salmon, a sweet potato, and assorted veggies.
With so much of her public life being shared on the internet, it’s nice to see her letting us in on her progress in a fun and motivating way. “I just want to be transparent with y'all. Working out hurts, but it’s really a mental thang, so go do it!”
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Taylor Hill/Getty Images