The lineups for the second Democratic debate have been announced, and though it looks like it'll be another battle between top contenders Kamala Harris and Joe Biden, and Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, many voters are still confused about who the other people on the stage are. And despite Harris, Biden, Sanders, and Warren gaining traction from their first debates, and previous campaigns, many still don't know exactly what the Democratic candidates stand for.
That is until now.
For tonight's debate (July 30), we have broken down the names of the Democratic candidates, what they stand for, if they have a chance at the nomination, and if they deserve the black vote*. Bookmark this so that you'll have all of their stances written out and at your disposal. From there, you can either join the millions of Americans cheering at your TV if the candidates reaffirm your political beliefs or jeer when they change their stances for the sake of the question. Enjoy.
*Detailed explanations of "do they deserve your black vote" only goes towards candidates polling more than 5 percent from the Black Democratic Primary voter's poll.
July 30 Debate (Night 1)
Tom Steyer, Billionaire Former Hedge Fund Executive; Climate Change And Impeachment Activist (62)
What He Said:
"Americans are deeply disappointed and hurt by the way they're treated by what they think is the power elite in Washington, D.C."
- Reversed a previous decision not to enter the race.
- Started out as an environmental activist before airing millions of dollars in television ads demanding Mr. Trump's impeachment.
- Has flirted repeatedly with running for statewide office in California.
- Significant Issues: Fighting climate change, promoting renewable energy and impeaching Mr. Trump.
Can he win the nomination? No.
Does He Deserve The Black Vote?
Steyer has 0 percent of Black Democratic primary voters, according to the latest Morning Consult weekly tracking poll.
Sign up for our newsletter here and checkout the related reads below:
Angela Rye On Merging Fashion With Activism and Politics
Everything You Need To Know About Kamala Harris: The Black Woman Running For President
Why It's Important To Use Our Voices To Vote
This Is How Kamala Harris Got Joe Biden All The Way Together At The Democratic Debate
Featured image by Getty Images
- What You Should Know About Sen. Kamala Harris - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Highlight - 2020 Democratic Primary Debates - Night One - The ... ›
- Full Video: First Democratic Presidential Primary Debate, Night One ... ›
- Fact check: Democratic debate night 1 - CNNPolitics ›
- Democratic Debate Night 1: What We Learned From Each ... ›
- Democratic debate: Night one by the numbers ›
- US Democratic debate night one: What did the candidates say ... ›
- What Went Down On Night One Of The First Democratic Debates ... ›
- The Democratic Debates, Night 1: Political Dynamics to Watch - The ... ›
- Transcript: Democratic debate night one - The Washington Post ›
- Full video: Democratic presidential debate, night 1 ›
Taysha Robinson is a writer and high school English teacher, based in metro-Atlanta. A self described philomath, you can find her reading books and articles of every genre, attending educational conferences, and hiking wherever the terrain will allow.
Take Our 2-Minute Wellness Quiz To Up Your Self-Care Game!
Black women are not a monolith. We all are deserving of healing and wholeness despite what we've been through, how much money we have in the bank, or what we look like. Most importantly, we are enough—even when we are not working, earning, or serving.
Welcome to Black Girl Whole, your space to find the wellness routine that aligns with you! This brand-new marketplace by xoNecole is a safe space for Black women to activate their healing, find the inspiration to rest, and receive reassurance that we are one small act away from finding our happiness.
Want to discover where you are on your wellness journey? You don't have to look far. In partnership with European Wax Center, we're bringing you a customized wellness quiz to help you up your wellness game. Answer our short series of questions to figure out which type of wellness lover you are, what you need to bring more balance into your life, and then go deeper by shopping products geared towards clearing your mind, healing your body, and soothing your spirit.
Ready to get whole? Take our quiz now!
Your Go-To Matcha Latte Just Got A Fruit-Inspired Summer Refresh
Can we talk about the grip that matcha lattes have on us? While I’ll always be an iced caramel latte (with oat milk) type of girl to the core, matcha lattes have become a must-have, pick-me-up to get me through the day.
If you’re anything like me, your FYP and explore page is probably filled with pretty matcha recipes that are just begging for you to try. And with these green, semi-sweet lattes quickly becoming a go-to for emotional-support beverage drinkers, it’s hard not to resist the temptation of a delicious and calming sip or two.
Matcha is a type of green tea that originated in Japan and is known for its vibrant green color, fine powder texture, and distinctive flavor. The traditional way of preparing matcha involves whisking the powder with hot water until it forms a frothy mixture, which can then be combined with smoothies, lattes, and other treats.
Not only is it high in antioxidants, but it also has been shown to have a number of health benefits, including reducing stress and anxiety, and a good source of L-theanine, an amino acid that can promote relaxation and improve mental focus.
Some newcomers to the tea may need a little convincing to come around to its distinctive, leafy taste, however, some new variations to the transitional technique could offer a sweet experience that will make them a true matcha believer.
Outside of milk, which is matcha’s creamy companion, strawberries and mango are two of the latest fruits to be paired with matcha and are unlocking new, refreshing recipes to try for the warmer months ahead. To get you started, we’ve provided a simple, yet tasty recipe for strawberry and mango matcha that you can try at home:
Easy Mango and Strawberry Matcha Recipe
pink everything all february🍵🍓💕 #fyp #matchalatte #matcha #strawberrymatcha #pinkeverything #pinkmatcha
- 1 cup of oat milk/almond milk
- 1/2 cup of strawberries, hulled and sliced (or),
- 1/2 cup of mango, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon of honey/agave
- Ice cubes
- In a small bowl, add 1 teaspoon of matcha powder.
- Add a small amount of hot water to the matcha powder (about 1/4 cup) and whisk vigorously with a bamboo whisk or a small whisk until the matcha powder is dissolved and there are no lumps. You should end up with a thick paste-like mixture.
- If desired, add 1 tablespoon of honey or sugar to sweeten.
- Add 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries or diced mango to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Fill a glass with ice cubes and pour the fruit and matcha mixture over the ice.
- Sip slowly and enjoy!
Here are 4 more matcha recipes in action:
fruity matcha lattes >> 🤭🥭 #matchalatterecipe #mangomatchalatte
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by valentinrussanov/Getty Images