I was first introduced to Teyana Taylor the way that many also were with her episode of MTV's My Super Sweet 16. After originally knowing the Harlem native as a dancer and choreographer, my ears were blown away when I learned that she not only had pipes, but she could blow! After being in the public eye, Teyana Taylor officially began her music career. From "Google Me" and The Misunderstanding of Teyana Taylor to being signed to Kanye West's G.O.O.D Music, an R&B star was born with her debut album, VII.
The 14-track album was released in 2014 with her fan favorite "Maybe" being its lead single. The vision that Teyana had for the album was drawing from her inspirations such as Lauryn Hill, Brandy, Janet Jackson and Aaliyah to bring back that 90s R&B sound.
"Janet and Aaliyah are two of my biggest inspirations. Musically, Aaliyah gave you that young vibe that girls can relate to, and Janet gave you that grown-woman sexy. I wanted VII to be like, 'Oh yeah, my mom's buying me that album but she bought herself one too.' Like something a mother and daughter could rock out to," Teyana told The FADER after the album's release.
There was no one more perfect for the job to help her bring that vision to life than producer and songwriter Harmony Samuels. Along with producers like Boi-1da and The Order Music, there's no denying how seamless the production of the album is.
VII is a precisely sculpted R&B body of work where the lyrics explore Teyana's vulnerability and her passage into becoming a mature woman unafraid to put her sexuality on display with tracks like "Do Not Disturb" featuring Chris Brown. From the beginning with "Outta My League (Interlude)", Teyana holds her own among other R&B songstresses in the industry with her deep sultry tone and crystal clear vocals that leaves you wanting more.
Thankfully after four years, Teyana is blessing her fans with her sophomore album Keep The Same Energy.
Earlier this year, in an interview with Oyster, she revealed that the album was done and will be executive produced by Kanye West. "[The album is] just waiting on some minor tweaks and whatever last minute switches or edits and a green light from Kanye and should be good to go," she said.
Although G.O.O.D Music has a new seven-track format, Teyana suggests that her album will be that and then some. No doubt, it will be very exciting to hear what Teyana has to deliver and if there will be any features.
Keep The Same Energy will be released on June 22. Are you ready?
Featured image by Giphy
- Boss Up Lessons From Teyana Taylor's Career Success - xoNecole: Lifestyle, Culture, Love, & Wellness ›
- Kanye West Reveals The Release Date For Pusha T & Teyana ... ›
- Teyana Taylor's Next Album Is Done & Executive Produced By ... ›
- VII (Teyana Taylor album) - Wikipedia ›
- Teyana Taylor says her album's finished and executive produced by ... ›
- Rihanna & Teyana Taylor Pose For Coachella Photo, Put Past Beef ... ›
- Teyana Taylor's Sophomore Album is Coming in June ›
- Finally... The New Teyana Taylor Album Is Complete ›
- Kanye West announces new albums from Pusha T and Teyana Taylor ›
- Teyana Taylor Confirms Sophomore Album Is 'Done' & Executive ... ›
- Teyana Taylor Readies Sophomore Album, Executive Produced By ... ›
Ngozi Nwanji is from Silver Spring, MD and is currently a senior majoring in journalism at Temple University. Her passions include writing, Issa Rae, and music, especially 90s R&B.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Watching Angela “Blac Chyna” White’s transformation in real-time has truly been a sight to see. It wasn’t that long ago that she announced that she was reversing her cosmetic surgeries in an effort to go back to who she was before the world came to know her as Blac Chyna. In previous interviews, she stated that she was dissolving her facial and lip fillers, removing her breast implants, and getting a butt reduction, as well as removing the dimple piercings that enhanced her fame and controversial tattoos.
In a recent Tamron Hall interview, the mother of two said that she has “fully recovered” from the procedures. She is also celebrating one year of sobriety and opened up about being worried about how her new journey would be received by others.
“I’ve been in the entertainment industry for so long, right, and of course, like, you know, coming out, I’m like young, I’m gonna do wild things as we all have,” she said.
“...I feel like by me being vocal and showing everybody you can change your life and things can get better, like through myself, that right there is an accomplishment, and that’s a part of freedom, too.”
But as she started on her journey, many people have shown her grace, which is something she’s grateful for. “And then the fact that people have been showing me grace, it’s like amazing,” she said. “And I feel like when I did it, I just did it. It was more so like spiritual thing and I feel like people see that, and I’ve always been like my authentic self, so what you see is kinda what you get with me, and that’s just kinda what it is.”
Chyna, who recently received an honorary doctorate from Sacramento Theology Seminary and Bible College, has also repaired her relationship with her mom, Tokyo Toni. The social media celebrity surprised her daughter on the Tamron Hall Show. Prior to the sentimental surprise, Chyna dished on the reconciliation and having a better understanding of her mom.
“I must say, some of the things I have to take accountability for because, like my actions. As a mother, you don’t want to see your daughter doing certain things ‘cause it’s like it doesn’t matter what my past was or what we’re going through, I didn’t raise you that way,” she admitted. “So, it’s like, okay, maybe I was a little bit wrong. Maybe I was acting out a little bit. But I feel like as we grow older, I kinda see more, and I understand more.”
Chyna will be starring in season two of Fox's reality competition show Special Forces: World's Toughest Test.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images