I can't be the only one who remembers R&B singer Sammie, stealing our hearts with the sounds of puppy love at the tender age of 13. Before our very eyes, he's gone from "I Like It" to a grown and sexy "I Love It" two decades later. And we are more than here for it.
The crooner has always been easy on the ears, but has elicited quite a few heart eye emojis (and maybe a few "drip" ones too) over the years from us. Just one look at his Instagram page and you'll see his glaring evolution through his titillating photos, candid captions, and you know we can't forget the Zaddy beard. But even deeper than surface-level attraction, the 31-year-old has proven time and time again how talented he truly is. His new single "Times 10" shows the singer taking a more explicit approach with lyrics like "I'm a real life freak, we can fuck on my sheets."
Sammie - Times 10 (Trailer) ft. Lil Babywww.youtube.com
There's no wonder our eyes get low, our cheeks blush, and our knees buckle whenever a song of his hits our "mood" playlist. xoNecole decided to chat with the artist about monogamy, how past relationships have shaped him into the man he is today, and the sounds we can expect to hear from his forthcoming project, Everlasting.
Sammie On the Type of Music We Can Expect to Hear from Him...
Sammie: I'm diverse. I give you love, I give you pain, I give you passion. I talk about the art of monogamy and trying to master that. I talk about infidelity, so it's kinda a love story. The album is called Everlasting. The reason why I entitled [it] that was because every relationship, good or bad, happy, sad, one night stands has had an everlasting effect on [the] man that I've become so it's not just sex at all; it's about everything that I've gone through in my 14 years of dating.
Courtesy of Sammie
"Every relationship, good or bad, happy, sad, one night stands has had an everlasting effect on [the] man that I've become so it's not just sex at all. It's about everything that I've gone through in my 14 years of dating."
Sammie On What He’s Learned from His mom About Relationships...
Sammie: My mom is my queen and I started dating at the age of 17, but of course I was still living under her roof so I had to get permission so I wasn't sneaking on the phone talking to my girl. She just told me to be mindful in how you treat women, karma is real, you reap what you sow and all your decisions good or bad will have an everlasting effect. That conversation and idiom at 31 has now resonated.
Sammie On How His Relationships Have Shaped the Man He is Today...
Sammie: I'm a Pisces, I've always been more emotional than the average man. I've been singing to women since I was 12, they were little girls and then teenagers and now we've all grown together. I was always becoming this guy. Every relationship I've gone through, I've learned more and more about myself and I don't like the demons about myself, the dark side. I think the way to fix it is to admit that you have a problem, address it, look yourself in the mirror, and slowly chisel away at what it is you don't fancy about yourself and I've done that. And so I've finally become the man that I've always thought I could be.
Sammie On Heartbreak...
Sammie: I've had my heart broken. Unfortunately, I've also shattered a couple of hearts, nothing I'm proud of. No matter how many women I have in my life, that's not something that's – that's not a trophy to me. I wish I didn't do a lot of those things. However, you can't take back the past, you can only hopefully learn the lesson and apply what it is you learn and progress accordingly.
Sammie On Preferring Monogamy Over Casual Dating
Sammie: I'm a relationship guy. Like my shortest relationship was three years, I was with a girl for four, another girl for four and a half [years], and then three, so that's about 11 years of life and I'm only 31. Eleven years of my life I've been in long relationships so now I'm looking forward to the one where it's forever. I don't want to do three or four years and realize she's not my wife and we're not equally yoked and vice versa, I'm not her husband. So [I'm] not a serial dater. If I'm not involved with somebody, I'm chillin' and focusing on things again that I don't like about myself and preparing myself for my forever.
Courtesy of Sammie
"If I'm not involved with somebody, I'm chillin' and focusing on things again that I don't like about myself and preparing myself for my forever."
Sammie On His Ideal Valentine’s Day Date...
Sammie: You have to pay attention to what your woman's been talking about maybe all year long. Definitely a nice dinner, something nice, candlelit. If she indulges in wine, Malbec is a good choice, I'm a red wine connoisseur, great conversation. I like interactive things like a movie is intimate but even bowling, something where we can kinda be free and it has to end in the right way. I think a nice sensual – [with] some music playing – bubble bath.
I think when you bathe someone that's one of the most intimate things outside of sex, and you learn new things about their body during that process and then you can end it with some amazing passionate safe sex. That's my ideal Valentine's Day.
Featured image courtesy of Sammie
- Interview: Sammie Opens Up About 'Coming of Age' ›
- [INTERVIEW] Sammie Is All Grown Up, Sharing His Story In Music ›
- Sammie Talks New Album 'Coming of Age,' Advice from Usher ... ›
- INTERVIEW: Sammie Speaks on the Process of Growing Up ... ›
- Sammie interview - YouTube ›
- Interview: Sammie Talks New Album 'Coming of Age', And What ... ›
London Alexaundria is the contributing editor for xoNecole. She is an alum of Clark Atlanta University, where she majored in Mass Media Arts and has worked in journalism for over ten years. You can follow her on Instagram and TikTok @theselfcarewriter
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images