With her hilarious skits, outspoken personality, and dedicated vision, Jasmin Brown is proof that real success comes from working hard and staying true to yourself, even if that isn't often promoted in the media. *Kanye shrug*
Raised in West Palm Beach, Florida by Caribbean parents, Jasmin has always had a vision for her life. That vision, alongside her active imagination and $10 allowance, was the beginning of her career in television and comedy, and she didn't even know it yet.
"I used to get paid $10 a week in allowance, and I would buy different wigs and would have different personalities. I would play dress up and be these different people, so that's how my love for creating characters came about," Jasmin shared.
As she grew older, Jasmin added a number of charismatic characters to her roster and continued to gravitate toward her affinity for entertainment. Despite her solid plan on becoming a dramatic actress, her funny persona led her to the world of comedy. She told xoNecole:
"I didn't even have interest in comedy, people just thought I was funny because that's always been my personality. I say what I want to say, and I speak my mind, but it was never like I was cracking jokes and I wanted to do comedy."
Like Jasmin, most of us spend our entire lives planning who we're supposed to be. To our surprise, sometimes the universe has bigger plans for us than we ever could have imagined for ourselves. She continued, "Honestly, in my mind, I wanted to be this serious actress like a Viola Davis, that's how I wanted to be, and people were like, 'No, you're funny.' So it took me a while to really accept that."
In Jasmin's mind, she was going to be the next Annalise Keating, but ultimately, it was her amiable personality and witty banter that earned her a seat at the table. We all have hidden talents that have the potential to take us to the next level, and the young actress soon learned that sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Jasmin shared, "When I finally did, I agreed to host, and the headliner was late so I had to kill time because we didn't have anymore acts. After my set, the response that I got and the love that I got, it was a feeling that I never felt before and from then I was just like, yeah I'm in, where can I get more of this! And it's been like that for over a year now."
Fast forward years later, Jasmin has been featured on BET's 50 Central, is the owner of her own hair care line, and is headlining her own national comedy tour. In other words, the girl is booked and busy!
Whether it's the ratchet and outspoken Toya Turnup on her constant quest for rent payments (RENT DUE!), or the overly flirtatious Reggie The Mechanic on his constant quest for women, Jasmin Brown is a multi-talented comedian and actress with a creative gift like no other; and the world finally gets to see her talent after years of grinding.
But if it's one thing Jasmin attributes her success to, it's simply being herself. In an industry constantly conforming artists into being something they're not, Jasmin Brown knows exactly who she is and there is no changing that.
"One thing that I pride myself on is being truthful to myself. You're going to have a lot of people telling you where you should go and what you should do, but, this is MY truth, this is who I am. You have to look yourself in the mirror everyday and be comfortable with who you're presenting to the world. I'm happy about who I am."
"You're going to have a lot of people telling you where you should go and what you should do, but, this is MY truth, this is who I am. You have to look yourself in the mirror everyday and be comfortable with who you're presenting to the world."
Jasmin Brown has come a long way from playing dress up for her family and making videos from the front seat of her car, and our "best friend in our head" is just getting started! Jasmin concluded, "I just want to continue to inspire people to be true to yourself. It's okay to mess up, it's okay to not be like everybody else, all of it is fine. At the end of the day, just be yourself, whoever that person may be. Get people used to who YOU are. That's it"
Featured image by K Rish Photography
Ashley McDonough is a writer and producer in New York City. When she's not busy writing or producing culturally conscious content, she is patiently waiting for Oprah and Stedman to adopt her. Keep up with her journey via social @Ashley_Milani or check out her work on www.AshleyMcDonough.org.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
There are moments on our health journey when our bodies are bugging us to hit the reset button.
With life, we can start to see slips in our diet, irregular exercising, and inconsistent sleep schedules, and our mental health can suffer because of it. But what many people come to find is that with just a few adjustments — as opposed to restrictions — being made to their food intake, we can see a focus more on eating “the right” calories and less on being on a restrictive diet.
"Raw Till 4" is a dietary concept and lifestyle associated with the raw vegan and high-carb, low-fat vegan (HCLF) movements. Created by Australian blogger and YouTube star known as 'Freelee the Banana Girl', the method suggests eating raw, uncooked plant-based foods until 4 p.m. each day and then having a cooked, vegan meal in the evening.
The Raw Till 4 lifestyle follows the guidelines of vegan and rawist eating and involves consuming fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and sprouted grains in an uncooked, natural state until the designated time of 4 p.m. or around one’s typical dinner time. After 4 p.m., a cooked vegan meal is consumed, which may include foods like steamed vegetables, grains, legumes, and plant-based sources of protein like tofu or tempeh.
On TikTok, creator Adina Yaffa is repopularizing the trend, sharing how it’s helped to improve digestion, boost energy levels, and support weight loss.
Replying to @🌜kat🌛 here is what I eat in a day on a raw till 4 lifestyle. I eat with the sun and according to the circadian rhythm that out bodies follow on a typical day. Where i drink liquids during the first 8 hours, then juicy fruits, then smoothies, more dense building fats, proteins and veggies! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass #rawtill4
“During the hours of 4 a.m. and 8 a.m., your body is in an elimination phase and needs all the help it can get,” Yaffa says in the clip. “So what you’re going to do is drink coconut water, citrus juices, and green juices during this time, and around 8 a.m., you can break your fast with some fruit. I suggest juicing fruits, and then after that, I suggest having a smoothie or a bowl with berries and granola so you can get your fats and healthy proteins in.”
Raw till 4 has so many benefits including better digestion, nutrients, belly fat and bloat elimination, snatched waist, more energy and so much more! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass
On the official Raw Till 4 website, Freelee the Banana Girl shares tips on how to get the best outcomes of this lifestyle change, which include:
- “Stay hydrated! You should pee about 8-12 times per day, and your urine should be clear. Drink 1 liter of water when you wake up in the morning, and 1 liter of water about 30 minutes before each meal for optimal results.”
- “Fragmented sodium (salt) should be kept to a minimum. Use herbs, lemon juice, etc. wherever possible in place of salt.”
- “Eat unlimited calories at every meal, no restriction. The majority of your calories each day should come from fruit. Don’t under-eat on fruit during the day or 'save up' your calories for dinner time. RT4 is about abundance at every meal.”
- “Move your body daily. Find an activity you love and make it your playful exercise.”
- “Make sure to get lots of rest, relaxation, and good sleep. Learning to incorporate good rest, early nights, and regular sleeping patterns into your life will greatly improve your overall health.”
- “Practice gratitude and peaceful emotions at mealtime, and get a vision book started! Be sure to enjoy this journey. Focus on long-term health instead of short-term results.”
Critics argue that it can be challenging to get all the necessary nutrients from a raw vegan diet and that it may not be suitable for everyone, especially over the long term.
As with any diet, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making significant dietary changes to ensure that it meets your individual nutritional needs and health goals.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by FreshSplash/Getty Images