Listen. Those of us who are self-professed connoisseurs of fine have been checkin' for Idris Elba for a super-hot minute now.
Whether he was melting our hearts as a single father in Daddy's Little Girls, lookin' good as a hot fudge sundae (heavy on the chocolate) in his wardrobe in Obsessed, starring as the semi-complex detective on Luther, or we've simply gotten to witness his ooo-baby British accent whenever he's being interviewed—this 46-year-old's (yep, he's good and grown) Godiva skin, unapologetic salt 'n pepper beard and love for the DJ culture (did you know he can also play hockey and rugby too?!) makes him, at the very least, fantasy-worthy. In virtually every room of the house.
That man. Ooo-whee! THAT. MAN.
Hmph. We're glad that FI-N-ALLY, PEOPLE magazine got the memo (i.e., the constant side-eye emails and tweets that were along the lines of "What are you waiting for—eh hem—people?!") because although he's been an honorable mention in their Sexiest Man Alive issue more than once, this year, he officially earned the coveted cover.
Who'd have thought it! Thank you @people & all the fans for naming me #SexiestManAlive. Don't forget to grab your i… https://t.co/87L7wf7k2T— Idris Elba (@Idris Elba) 1541480593.0
When we hopped onto PEOPLE's site to see why they selected this award-winning actor for such a time as this, we really dug that they said every year, they look for someone who is respectful of women. They also shared that they wanted an individual who has a kindness and generosity of spirit.
We also learned his response to hearing the news of being PEOPLE's 33rd Sexiest Man Alive:
"I was like, 'Come on, no way. Really?' Looked in the mirror, I checked myself out. I was like, 'Yeah, you are kind of sexy today.' But to be honest, it was just a nice feeling. It was a nice surprise — an ego boost for sure."
Something else that caught our attention is Idris himself saying that out of all of his accomplishments thus far, being present for the birth of his children (his daughter Isan is 16; his son Winston is 4) easily tops them all. Oh, and it certainly didn't hurt that he also went on record as saying that he has a bit of a "naughty" and "what if?" side to him.
Idris Elba is People’s 2018 ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ 1. This is the type of news I needed to hear 2. I completely agree… https://t.co/4AIn1Jq2gZ— b (@b) 1541485482.0
***Church fan, anyone?***
Sure, we know that he's spoken for (le sigh). But honestly, that makes him even sexier. It sends the message that he's not a commitment-phobe. Plus, his fiancee is a sistah (29-year-old model Sabrina Dhowre), and we don't know what's more beautiful than Black Love.
In fact, the only thing that makes all of this news better is the timing. Oh, the timing. Although the announcement was technically made last night on Jimmy Fallon's The Tonight Show, those of us who try and get eight hours of shut eye woke up to news. And what day is today, y'all? ELECTION DAY.
We must give credit to where credit's due and again, the timing is impeccable. Well played, PEOPLE magazine. Well freakin' played. And Idris, many, many, MANY congrats! You already know that we've been givin' you your props for-e-ver but it's always cool when our personal taste goes, umm, mainstream (wink).
Check out some of our favorite reactions to the news below. For more of PEOPLE on Idris, click here. And be sure to pick up your copy available on newstands this Friday.
Idris Elba rightfully winning sexiest man alive after Blake Shelton stole it last time gives me a lot of hope for this Election Day— The Volatile Mermaid (@The Volatile Mermaid) 1541507863.0
I don't usually approve of "People's" Sexiest Man Alive choices, but Idris Elba definitely gets my vote! 👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿 https://t.co/cAedsYZQkQ— journey to the past©️™️ (@journey to the past©️™️) 1541485310.0
And, in being named #SexiestManAlive, Idris Elba used his new platform to encourage everyone to get out and #vote.… https://t.co/N46cfBzIbz— WriterIowa 🇺🇲 (@WriterIowa 🇺🇲) 1541483262.0
Idris Elba was named #SexiestManAlive and now all I can think of is this gif https://t.co/W2FSGd6yBI— eddie’s second mom (@eddie’s second mom) 1541483571.0
Congratulations!!! #Idris you deserve the recognition and accolade. At least it has to be somebody and it isn't me… https://t.co/TWzGgSrbAO— ceejay (@ceejay) 1541514766.0
BRB mass-producing pillowcases with this photo of @people's #SexiestManAlive @idriselba printed on them so we can a… https://t.co/ksG6HiDZkQ— Dave Quinn (@Dave Quinn) 1541481206.0
People Magazine: “our 2018 #SexiestManAlive is Idris Elba” Internet: https://t.co/RdsCEY8RBe— Fancy C. Poitras (@Fancy C. Poitras) 1541485797.0
In the words of Dr. Miranda Bailey, "It's Idris Elba" 😍 #SexiestManAlive #GreysAnatomy https://t.co/Vv8eNTCHYC— Shondaland Digital (@Shondaland Digital) 1541482021.0
😂🤣😂🤣 Tweet of the Day #sexiestmanalive https://t.co/gpmPGWdIPt— 🎶🎶🎶 (@🎶🎶🎶) 1541470198.0
Featured image by Denis Makarenko / Shutterstock.com
- Idris Elba named sexiest man alive by People magazine | The ... ›
- Idris Elba Named People's Sexiest Man Alive | Pret-a-Reporter ›
- Idris Elba named People Magazine's 'Sexiest Man Alive' for 2018 ›
- Idris Elba named this year's Sexiest Man Alive by People magazine ... ›
- Idris Elba named People's 'Sexiest Man Alive' - CNN Video ›
- Idris Elba Is People's Sexiest Man Alive 2018 | E! News ›
- Idris Elba Is PEOPLE's Sexiest Man Alive 2018 | PEOPLE.com ›
- Idris Elba is People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive ›
- Idris Elba named People's 'Sexiest Man Alive' for 2018 ›
- Idris Elba named People's Sexiest Man Alive for 2018 - The ... ›
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at email@example.com. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
There are moments on our health journey when our bodies are bugging us to hit the reset button.
With life, we can start to see slips in our diet, irregular exercising, and inconsistent sleep schedules, and our mental health can suffer because of it. But what many people come to find is that with just a few adjustments — as opposed to restrictions — being made to their food intake, we can see a focus more on eating “the right” calories and less on being on a restrictive diet.
"Raw Till 4" is a dietary concept and lifestyle associated with the raw vegan and high-carb, low-fat vegan (HCLF) movements. Created by Australian blogger and YouTube star known as 'Freelee the Banana Girl', the method suggests eating raw, uncooked plant-based foods until 4 p.m. each day and then having a cooked, vegan meal in the evening.
The Raw Till 4 lifestyle follows the guidelines of vegan and rawist eating and involves consuming fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and sprouted grains in an uncooked, natural state until the designated time of 4 p.m. or around one’s typical dinner time. After 4 p.m., a cooked vegan meal is consumed, which may include foods like steamed vegetables, grains, legumes, and plant-based sources of protein like tofu or tempeh.
On TikTok, creator Adina Yaffa is repopularizing the trend, sharing how it’s helped to improve digestion, boost energy levels, and support weight loss.
Replying to @🌜kat🌛 here is what I eat in a day on a raw till 4 lifestyle. I eat with the sun and according to the circadian rhythm that out bodies follow on a typical day. Where i drink liquids during the first 8 hours, then juicy fruits, then smoothies, more dense building fats, proteins and veggies! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass #rawtill4
“During the hours of 4 a.m. and 8 a.m., your body is in an elimination phase and needs all the help it can get,” Yaffa says in the clip. “So what you’re going to do is drink coconut water, citrus juices, and green juices during this time, and around 8 a.m., you can break your fast with some fruit. I suggest juicing fruits, and then after that, I suggest having a smoothie or a bowl with berries and granola so you can get your fats and healthy proteins in.”
Raw till 4 has so many benefits including better digestion, nutrients, belly fat and bloat elimination, snatched waist, more energy and so much more! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass
On the official Raw Till 4 website, Freelee the Banana Girl shares tips on how to get the best outcomes of this lifestyle change, which include:
- “Stay hydrated! You should pee about 8-12 times per day, and your urine should be clear. Drink 1 liter of water when you wake up in the morning, and 1 liter of water about 30 minutes before each meal for optimal results.”
- “Fragmented sodium (salt) should be kept to a minimum. Use herbs, lemon juice, etc. wherever possible in place of salt.”
- “Eat unlimited calories at every meal, no restriction. The majority of your calories each day should come from fruit. Don’t under-eat on fruit during the day or 'save up' your calories for dinner time. RT4 is about abundance at every meal.”
- “Move your body daily. Find an activity you love and make it your playful exercise.”
- “Make sure to get lots of rest, relaxation, and good sleep. Learning to incorporate good rest, early nights, and regular sleeping patterns into your life will greatly improve your overall health.”
- “Practice gratitude and peaceful emotions at mealtime, and get a vision book started! Be sure to enjoy this journey. Focus on long-term health instead of short-term results.”
Critics argue that it can be challenging to get all the necessary nutrients from a raw vegan diet and that it may not be suitable for everyone, especially over the long term.
As with any diet, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making significant dietary changes to ensure that it meets your individual nutritional needs and health goals.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by FreshSplash/Getty Images