Celebrity hairstylist Cliff Vmir is a bonafide badass working with some of the top talents in entertainment, including Cardi B, who months ago crafted Cardi's icy blue hair color that lit social media ablaze. Recently, the millionaire hairstylist gave his 700K+ followers an up close and personal look into his life by starring in his own BET web series Wig Out. At only 21 years old, Cliff holds the reins as a premier stylist and has gained a loyal following on social media as well as from his classes where aspiring hairstylists learn valuable techniques and expert advice for mastering the latest looks.
Luckily for us, we were able to snag Cliff for a moment to talk about what he knows best: Wigs! From advice on purchasing our wigs to caring for and maintaining them, Cliff has us covered, and we are definitely taking notes.
Courtesy of Cliff Vmir
It’s All About the Lace.
"When purchasing a wig, you should make sure that the lace is pretty thin and the color of the lace matches your skin and [that] it's a swift lace," Cliff told us. "You also want to make sure that you are getting a nice quality wig. You don't want to get a wig that's kinda cheap because you get what you pay for."
Quality over quantity is a life mantra that goes double with wigs. "There [are] so many different types of hair you can use for a wig and that (quality) is something you want to pay attention to when purchasing a wig. You don't want to get a wig that you spend a lot of money on or feel is a lot of money but it's not great quality. You just want to keep your eyes open and do your research, especially from the company you're purchasing your wig from."
Cliff also added that sometimes spending more money on hair upfront can save you money in the long run. "[With] synthetic hair, you can't curl it, you can't straighten it, you could probably color it but it just doesn't give you that flexibility or that movement that human hair does," he explained. "Synthetic hair swells up after a week or two in the end… That same money you're using to buy [and replace] those synthetic wigs, you're gonna be using the same amount of money that you could've been spending on an expensive wig that would last you about six months."
Prep Your Wig Properly.
"When you're doing a wig, you just have to make sure that you bleach the knots, you're plucking it, you're tinting the knots and lace to make sure it matches your skin color. As long as you pluck it well and apply a nude stocking cap underneath to make sure that you have the scalp-like look, then you'll be fine."
Cardi B styled by Cliff Vmir
Courtesy of Cliff Vmir
Keep It Clean and Dry.
"Make sure that you're very gentle when it comes to shampooing the wig. Make sure you use a mild shampoo and conditioner as well as putting the wig [under] the dryer. That's a lot better and makes the hair feel a lot softer, opposed to blow drying it or air drying it. Air drying it is fine too but you want to make sure that the lace is fully dry, so put it [under] a hooded hair dryer."
If you're looking to wear your wig long-term and prefer to sew it to your head, Cliff has a tip for that too: "Shampoo, condition, and rebraid [your hair], that way you're not putting any heat unto it, really giving it time to grow."
The Way You Store Your Wigs Is Important.
In order to preserve your wigs you must store them properly. "You can get a dome head, the styrofoam heads, or you can even put your wigs in a silk bag. If you are sleeping in the wig, just make sure that it's a silk bonnet or silk scarf. Make sure that the wig has some kinda silk around it, but if it's not around silk, then it needs to be propped up somewhere because cotton does dry your hair out."
Wear The Hair That Works Best For You.
"I wear my Mink Brazilian hair. That's the only hair I really wear out of my company [Hym Hair]. It's very expensive but it lasts a super long time. You can wear it for a year straight and it'll still look like you just got it. That's the only hair I wear. I've tried Indian hair, nothing really wrong with it, it's just the Mink Brazilian hair is less maintenance. If I press it out, I can sleep all on it, and then run a brush through it and it'll still be straight [for] two full weeks."
Tune into Wig Out every Sunday on BET Digital, YouTube, and BET Facebook and the BET App at 6pm. Follow Cliff Vmir on all social media @cliffvmir, and look out for his new EP in March.
Featured image courtesy of Cliff Vmir.
- Cardi B Real Natural Hair Growth Secrets - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- How To Care For Your Hair Under A Wig - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- CLIFF VMIR (@cliffvmir) | Twitter ›
- Celebrity Hairstylist Cliff VMir on Working With Cardi B and Why He ... ›
- How Cliff Vmir Made His First Million At 19 Doing Cardi B's Hair | Get ... ›
- Celebrity Hairstylist Cliff Vmir Is Quitting His Job To Become A ... ›
- Cardi B Hair Stylist Cliff Vmir on BET's "Wig Out" - PAPER ›
- Celebrity hairstylist Cliff VMir explains how he made his 1st million ... ›
- Cliff Vmir built a hair empire before drinking age. Now, he wants to ... ›
- 21-Year-Old Millionaire Hairstylist, Cliff Vmir, Brings You Into His ... ›
- NBCBLK28: Teen Hair Mogul Cliff Vmir Refines the Salon Experience ›
- CliffVmir (@cliffvmir) • Instagram photos and videos ›
London Alexaundria is the contributing editor for xoNecole. She is an alum of Clark Atlanta University, where she majored in Mass Media Arts and has worked in journalism for over ten years. You can follow her on Instagram and TikTok @theselfcarewriter
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
There are moments on our health journey when our bodies are bugging us to hit the reset button.
With life, we can start to see slips in our diet, irregular exercising, and inconsistent sleep schedules, and our mental health can suffer because of it. But what many people come to find is that with just a few adjustments — as opposed to restrictions — being made to their food intake, we can see a focus more on eating “the right” calories and less on being on a restrictive diet.
"Raw Till 4" is a dietary concept and lifestyle associated with the raw vegan and high-carb, low-fat vegan (HCLF) movements. Created by Australian blogger and YouTube star known as 'Freelee the Banana Girl', the method suggests eating raw, uncooked plant-based foods until 4 p.m. each day and then having a cooked, vegan meal in the evening.
The Raw Till 4 lifestyle follows the guidelines of vegan and rawist eating and involves consuming fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and sprouted grains in an uncooked, natural state until the designated time of 4 p.m. or around one’s typical dinner time. After 4 p.m., a cooked vegan meal is consumed, which may include foods like steamed vegetables, grains, legumes, and plant-based sources of protein like tofu or tempeh.
On TikTok, creator Adina Yaffa is repopularizing the trend, sharing how it’s helped to improve digestion, boost energy levels, and support weight loss.
Replying to @🌜kat🌛 here is what I eat in a day on a raw till 4 lifestyle. I eat with the sun and according to the circadian rhythm that out bodies follow on a typical day. Where i drink liquids during the first 8 hours, then juicy fruits, then smoothies, more dense building fats, proteins and veggies! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass #rawtill4
“During the hours of 4 a.m. and 8 a.m., your body is in an elimination phase and needs all the help it can get,” Yaffa says in the clip. “So what you’re going to do is drink coconut water, citrus juices, and green juices during this time, and around 8 a.m., you can break your fast with some fruit. I suggest juicing fruits, and then after that, I suggest having a smoothie or a bowl with berries and granola so you can get your fats and healthy proteins in.”
Raw till 4 has so many benefits including better digestion, nutrients, belly fat and bloat elimination, snatched waist, more energy and so much more! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass
On the official Raw Till 4 website, Freelee the Banana Girl shares tips on how to get the best outcomes of this lifestyle change, which include:
- “Stay hydrated! You should pee about 8-12 times per day, and your urine should be clear. Drink 1 liter of water when you wake up in the morning, and 1 liter of water about 30 minutes before each meal for optimal results.”
- “Fragmented sodium (salt) should be kept to a minimum. Use herbs, lemon juice, etc. wherever possible in place of salt.”
- “Eat unlimited calories at every meal, no restriction. The majority of your calories each day should come from fruit. Don’t under-eat on fruit during the day or 'save up' your calories for dinner time. RT4 is about abundance at every meal.”
- “Move your body daily. Find an activity you love and make it your playful exercise.”
- “Make sure to get lots of rest, relaxation, and good sleep. Learning to incorporate good rest, early nights, and regular sleeping patterns into your life will greatly improve your overall health.”
- “Practice gratitude and peaceful emotions at mealtime, and get a vision book started! Be sure to enjoy this journey. Focus on long-term health instead of short-term results.”
Critics argue that it can be challenging to get all the necessary nutrients from a raw vegan diet and that it may not be suitable for everyone, especially over the long term.
As with any diet, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making significant dietary changes to ensure that it meets your individual nutritional needs and health goals.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by FreshSplash/Getty Images