Black women and their relationship with hair is a true expression of our beauty. We take it seriously because our roots are tied to our roots. No matter the woman, her hair is a huge part of her identity. Over time, we have found a way to recreate ourselves through the styling of our crowns. This means that we love having a bevy of styles to choose from, especially as seasons change. This reality got us to thinking about the hair trends that are trending this winter.
We checked in with our favorite stylist, Tywia Holmes who said, "The blunt Bob will always be classic go-to. Curtain bangs, with tousled waves, give that 'I woke up like this' look. Split dyes (half and half color) are also on the rise."
These are just a few styles you can add to the rotation this winter. Ahead, find a few we have added to the hairstyle queue!
There have been so many takes on the "butterfly" hair trend that some may say that it's overdone. Not us; we love to see it. The girls love a refined yet messy look. This protective style offers longevity and style all in one. Shoutout to Bethany for giving us tips on how to execute!
Curtain bangs are for everyone and they are specially made for Halle Berry. She's giving an effortless look and it suits her so well. Consider this winter the curtain bang renaissance as we rock them curly, straight, and wavy. For reference, the curtain bang got its name for the way they perfectly shape and drape your face like a window.
I C Y Braids
Now, being a blonde may be fun but you gotta be careful getting to this platinum level. Last spring, in the thick of the pandemic, master cosmetologist, Destiny Kelly told us some tips on how to maintain color at home. So if you're going to commit to this bold style, make sure you're willing to do the work. Christian has me thinking about stepping to the other side because she looks so damn good.
Elevated Bubble Pony
It's more than a TikTok trend. It's a staple. For years, this trend has been a mainstay with its fun and flirty flair. When creating the elevated bubble ponytail style, unique extensions and volumizing sprays are essential.
Are you a daredevil? Trying the split dye trend may just be for you. When one-half of your hair is one color and the other is a totally different one, that's called split-dye. It's perfect for that moment when you can't choose one color so you have to choose two. Stars like Kehlani and Nicki Minaj have mastered the coiffure with ease.
We are sure that you have seen all the heart-shaped braids as you scroll through your feed. Ironically, we are in love with this particular shape. It takes us back to the 90s when things were simpler and we wore velour suits every day. The creativity of it all is also mind-blowing.
Bob box braids are so poetic. Even as separate styles, they are surefire classics. Together, they are pure magic. This style is ideal for the girls who want a short, protective style. Again, the 90s gave us so much to be thankful for and the braided bob is at the top of the list.
Any hairstyle that Molly dons is one that we adore. It's no surprise that it's the season's hottest trend because it works with all hair types. Did you know it was first created by Polish-born hairdresser Antoine de Paris in 1909? It doesn't really matter though because Black women made it better.
Crisscross Rubberband Designs
The crisscross rubber band design paired with the Bantu knots is how you make a statement in the coming months. You may have rocked braids all summer but this new take on the style gives us all the feels. Who knew rubber bands could be so fly?
Tiffany Battle is known for her eclectic hairstyles and the thing that sets them apart is the accessories. It's in our blood to add jewels and gems to our crowns so it's only right that we make our ancestors proud. The next time you switch up your style, try adding a few accessories to elevate the look.
To get your beauty fix and to stay up to date with the latest trends, check out the xoNecole Beauty section here.
Featured image by Getty Images
Joce Blake is a womanist who loves fashion, Beyonce and Hot Cheetos. The sophistiratchet enthusiast is based in Brooklyn, NY but has southern belle roots as she was born and raised in Memphis, TN. Keep up with her on Instagram @joce_blake and on Twitter @SaraJessicaBee.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Jackie Aina is the embodiment of Black girl luxury, and her crib is no exception. Located in a ritzy area in Los Angeles, CA, Jackie’s home is equipped with all the things every fancy girl needs: an upscale kitchen, elevator, and fabulous pool. Luckily for us, the YouTuber opened up her home with the ultimate house tour. In a video on Tayo Aina’s (no relation) YouTube channel, Jackie goes from room to room, showing us her interior design style while also dishing on her life and career.
Jackie began making beauty content on YouTube in 2009, and from there, she’s grown her empire through collaborations with makeup brands like Too Faced. Now, she is the co-founder of the candle company FORVR Mood. The former Army reservist is known for her colorful personality, but her home is the opposite, which is on purpose. “Personally, because I have such a big, bold, colorful personality, I like to dress big and bold, I want to be the color in my home,” she said. “I don’t want my home to be the color. I want you to see me.”
She continued, “I want the house to be calming, and I want the house to blend in. I don’t want it to attract too much attention.” Her home may not be screaming look at me, but it’s definitely giving quiet luxury. Check it out below:
Tayo Aina/ YouTube
Jackie revealed that she and her fiancé, Denis Asamoah, eat their meals at their breakfast nook daily.
Tayo Aina/ YouTube
“When my fiancé and I bought this house, I really wanted a double island kitchen, and the irony is like I don’t cook at all,” she said. Jackie explained that because she’s Black, African, and a woman, she’s expected to cook, and she doesn’t like doing what’s expected. “Why can’t I be good at other things? Like that doesn’t make me a woman if I don’t cook in the [kitchen].
Tayo Aina/ YouTube
The star of the family room is the big, L-shaped white couch, and according to the YouTube star, her couch is so comfy you can melt into it.
Tayo Aina/ YouTube
Jackie’s office houses the trophies and plagues that she received from YouTube and Shopify.
Tayo Aina/ YouTube
The entrepreneur’s backyard has the same feel as the inside of the house. It has a gigantic pool and comfortable seating. “I’m very big on enjoy it while you have it,” she said.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Tayo Aina/ YouTube