In just a few weeks, society as we knew it has been thrown into complete turmoil. While the images that we see on social media these days may be unsettling, sometimes good things fall apart so that better things can come together and I believe I speak for everyone reading this when I say we outside and it's time that people in powerful positions pull TF up.
During this time of social unrest, it's become clear that silence is mad loud and it's important that we remember who was a member of the movement when all of this is over. The black dollar is valuable as f*ck and after the dust settles, we won't forget the support (and lack thereof) of the celebrities that fought for our right to exist.
Along with Keke Palmer, Kehlani, and Miguel, who stood in solidarity with protestors to storm the streets of LA, was Insecure's Kendrick Sampson, a longtime activist who was brutally attacked and shot with rubber bullets by LAPD officers during a peaceful protest further proving that even celebrities are not immune to the disease that is systemic racism.
Keke, Kehlani, Kendrick, and Miguel aren't the only celebrities who are on the frontlines fighting the good fight, and their dedication makes us love our faves even more. From J. Cole to Tessa Thompson, here are 13 celebrities who are doing their part when it comes to combatting racial injustice:
Meagan Good & Devon Franklin
Michael B. Jordan
Michael B. Jordan out here protesting! https://t.co/mSGEPwB1Pb— BILLBOARD BULLY 😈 (@BILLBOARD BULLY 😈) 1590881669.0
"This country was built on the backs of our ancestors––backs that had a target the entire time and this month is no different with more black lives caught in the crosshairs. Too many look at us as public enemies, only some see us as humans, and yet we need to be superhuman just to survive. We must strategize, organize, and train ourselves as we demand more. One arrest isn't enough. This is just the beginning."
J. Cole out here protesting with the people. He’s living his raps 🙏🏾 https://t.co/LseTbMUszy— BlackySpeakz (@BlackySpeakz) 1590890744.0
“Look I don’t know if I’m going to have a career after this but, f**k that.” John Boyega. https://t.co/KPFDUUFGlM— The Nikki Diaries (@The Nikki Diaries) 1591193409.0
"I'm speaking to you from my heart. Look, I don't know if I'm going to have a career after this, but fuck that. Today is about innocent people who were halfway through their process. We don't know what George Floyd could have achieved, we don't know what Sandra Bland could have achieved, but today we're going to make sure that won't be an alien thought to our young ones."
I love @KekePalmer. She’s out in the streets of LA talking with the National Guard. https://t.co/7iZ2tvubXn— Anthony Dominic (@Anthony Dominic) 1591137553.0
"A very peaceful group of us protesters had pepper spray bombs thrown at us! In the post right before this one you can hear the music and peaceful chanting right before we were had bombed! SMH -What a shame to try to silence the people once again."
Chance The Rapper
"Peaceful to violent. The violence comes entirely from LAPD. You can hear the commander yell 'MOVE!'––cop talk for 'F**K EM UP!'––At the end watch THREE COPS coming at me as I defend someone on the ground they were beating!!!"
"Ultimately if we want the kind of change that addresses the root of the problem, we cannot lead with our anger or rage. Human history across cultures and civilizations prove this. Now is the time to educate ourselves and each other and organize and strategize."
https://t.co/mw4lb1A6LM— Tessa Thompson (@Tessa Thompson) 1590883501.0
hours and miles of peaceful protesting yesterday that got little to no coverage. all throughout beverly hills and w… https://t.co/8SJQ4vSyRJ— Ariana Grande (@Ariana Grande) 1590949706.0
"Hours and miles of peaceful protesting yesterday that got little to no coverage. All throughout beverly hills and west Hollywood we chanted, people beeped and cheered along. we were passionate, we were loud, we were loving. cover this too please."
fired rubber bullets at us. we did not breach the line. hands were up. unmoving. and they gassed and fired. https://t.co/K8YauF0APn— h (@h) 1590890694.0
Featured image by Instagram/@tinashenow.
Taylor "Pretty" Honore is a spiritually centered and equally provocative rapper from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with a love for people and storytelling. You can probably find me planting herbs in your local community garden, blasting "Back That Thang Up" from my mini speaker. Let's get to know each other: @prettyhonore.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Watching Angela “Blac Chyna” White’s transformation in real-time has truly been a sight to see. It wasn’t that long ago that she announced that she was reversing her cosmetic surgeries in an effort to go back to who she was before the world came to know her as Blac Chyna. In previous interviews, she stated that she was dissolving her facial and lip fillers, removing her breast implants, and getting a butt reduction, as well as removing the dimple piercings that enhanced her fame and controversial tattoos.
In a recent Tamron Hall interview, the mother of two said that she has “fully recovered” from the procedures. She is also celebrating one year of sobriety and opened up about being worried about how her new journey would be received by others.
“I’ve been in the entertainment industry for so long, right, and of course, like, you know, coming out, I’m like young, I’m gonna do wild things as we all have,” she said.
“...I feel like by me being vocal and showing everybody you can change your life and things can get better, like through myself, that right there is an accomplishment, and that’s a part of freedom, too.”
But as she started on her journey, many people have shown her grace, which is something she’s grateful for. “And then the fact that people have been showing me grace, it’s like amazing,” she said. “And I feel like when I did it, I just did it. It was more so like spiritual thing and I feel like people see that, and I’ve always been like my authentic self, so what you see is kinda what you get with me, and that’s just kinda what it is.”
Chyna, who recently received an honorary doctorate from Sacramento Theology Seminary and Bible College, has also repaired her relationship with her mom, Tokyo Toni. The social media celebrity surprised her daughter on the Tamron Hall Show. Prior to the sentimental surprise, Chyna dished on the reconciliation and having a better understanding of her mom.
“I must say, some of the things I have to take accountability for because, like my actions. As a mother, you don’t want to see your daughter doing certain things ‘cause it’s like it doesn’t matter what my past was or what we’re going through, I didn’t raise you that way,” she admitted. “So, it’s like, okay, maybe I was a little bit wrong. Maybe I was acting out a little bit. But I feel like as we grow older, I kinda see more, and I understand more.”
Chyna will be starring in season two of Fox's reality competition show Special Forces: World's Toughest Test.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images