When an interviewer hits you with, "Do you have any questions for me?" at the end of your job interview, you have two options. You can nervously blurt out the first random question that pops in your head, or you can confidently pull out a list of carefully curated questions that you prepared in advance. Because, girl, nobody has time to waste.
Remember that a job interview is a two-way street. While the interviewer may be the final decision-maker for employment, you have equal power to curve an offer if it doesn't meet your desires. Factors like salary, responsibilities, and benefits should naturally be part of your conversation, however, it is essential to dig beyond the surface level, sis.
Getting to the bottom of a company's culture and expectations during the interview process will help you hit the ground running with information that will make you feel like you made the right decision.
So, what questions do you ask to make sure a company is a winner? Keep these 10 in mind the next time you're in the interview hot seat:
1.What kind of duties can I anticipate that are not listed in the job description?
"Other duties as assigned." What does that really mean? Ask this question to avoid taking on annoying additional responsibilities. A study from Paychex shows four out of 10 workers take on more responsibilities outside of their work scope. Having this info upfront can help you figure out if the pay and benefits are worth taking on fifty 'leven extra tasks.
2.How did the company adjust during the pandemic?
The COVID-19 pandemic drastically changed the way that people work. It is important to understand how a potential employer reacted to the changes, how they made the transition process smooth for employees, and what to expect if another future crisis occurs.
3.Why is there a need for this role to be filled right now?
A role may need to be filled for multiple reasons. It can be brand new, past employees may not have been a good fit, and so on. Learning why the role is open can tell you if a company is growing or having a hard time keeping employees.
4.Who would I be reporting to directly?
An employee-supervisor relationship can make or break the office vibes and affect the flow of getting ish done. Learn who you are reporting to regularly to decide if the working relationship will be good for you.
5.Based on my background, how do you think I can add value to this role?
This question puts pressure on the interviewer, but it can be a sign that they believe you are a good fit for the role based on their response.
6.What key performance indicators (KPIs) are most important for this role?
KPIs are your best friend. It is important to know how your performance will be measured. Knowing upfront KPIs can help you see if the company is realistic about what can be accomplished based on your previous experience.
7.How is the company committed to diversity?
As a woman of color, it is essential to know if your presence will be valued in the company. Knowing if a company is truly down for diversity may be a deciding factor of whether you want to be there.
8.What initiatives are in place to promote employee wellness?
Forty-eight percent of Americans consider themselves workaholics, and this stat is bad for business. Understanding a company's position on work-life balance can give you peace of mind that they value their employees' well-being.
9.What milestones will the company achieve in the next three years, and how does my role support them?
Where a company is going in the short-term can help you see a future with them. Their plan can give you an idea of how you will be a part of their evolution and opportunities to grow within.
10.What would NOT make a person a good fit here?
This question can expose your incompatible traits with the role or the company. Understanding what a company doesn't want can help you determine if you are the best fit.
Are you a member of our insiders squad? Join us in the xoTribe Members Community today!
Featured image by Shutterstock
- Treat Your Next Job Interview Like A First Date - xoNecole: Women's ... ›
- Questions Every Job Seeker Should Be Asking NOW - xoNecole ... ›
- Follow These Key Preparation Tips To Rock Your Next Job Interview ... ›
- Don't Leave Your Next Job Interview Without Doing This. - xoNecole ... ›
- 21 Great Questions To Ask During A Job Interview - xoNecole ... ›
- How To Answer Job Interview Questions Confidently - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images