Any woman with natural hair will tell you that caring for it doesn't come easy.
There's an overabundance of natural hair products across the market, and selecting the right one for your curls can be tedious. Myriam Taylor Orceo, owner of the Portugal-based, bio-luxury natural hair brand, Muxima (pronounced MOO-SHE-MAH), especially knows this to be true.
After she got pregnant, Myriam had a hard time finding products with ingredients that wouldn't harm her curls. So, she started her own brand and infused her products with 24 karat gold and caviar.
You read that right. The Muxima hair system contains gold and caviar, and according to her website, Myriam has the receipts from science to prove that it works.
Muxima's research team found that for naturalistas, caviar promotes and increases nourishment and moisture throughout the hair fiber. Myriam says that the added combination of Argan oil, amino acids, and collagen has helped to make this hydrating hair system a winner for kinky curly girls. Her products have been rigorously tested (two years in development, and two years in safety and efficacy testing); was tested by dermatologists in Europe; it's antibacterial; and contains zero sulphates, parabens, or synthetic colors.
The Angolan beauty said that she selected the best ingredients to help curl-friends regenerate their hair from scalp to end. The system's complete line is infused with caviar, and comes with a hydrating hair wash, a reconstructing conditioning masque, curl defining conditioner, curl-activating fluid, and oil infused with 24 karat gold.
As for the results? They're stunning.
Beauty blogger UK Curly Girl said that she loved how the wash detangled her hair, and that the curl-defining fluid made her curls pop. She gave it a 10 out of 10.
HoneyBlondeGigi, another YouTube beauty blogger, used it on her color-treated hair, and her final curly look is astonishing.
Beauty blogger Afro Is Massive, who appears to have a coarser hair texture, also loved her results with the product.
Myriam told Rolling Out that the reason why she carved her own lane in the natural hair industry was because she was disappointed to find so many products for natural hair that falsely claims to have organic ingredients. She wanted to create a luxury brand that does exactly what it says on the bottle.
I just found out that the market is full of products, and many of the products are marketed for our [ kinky] type of hair. But they have pretty bad ingredients. So I was looking for products that were more on the premium side. Still I couldn't find them, and that's how we spotted the opportunity to start Muxima.
What's even better about Muxima is that Myriam uses her website to help continue conversations on how users can accept the beauty of their textured strands. She told MOJO:
You have to wear [your natural hair] proudly, and make people accept us the way we are, other than allowing them to dictate our appearance.
You can purchase the Muxima hair system directly from their website, muxima.net, or on Amazon. If you're cautious about giving the system a try, you can buy a sample pack for about $66 US dollars directly from the website.
Get to know the Muxima team in the video below, where Myriam requires her models to be photographed with their imperfections, and refuses to allow the photos to be retouched of blemishes.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Watching Angela “Blac Chyna” White’s transformation in real-time has truly been a sight to see. It wasn’t that long ago that she announced that she was reversing her cosmetic surgeries in an effort to go back to who she was before the world came to know her as Blac Chyna. In previous interviews, she stated that she was dissolving her facial and lip fillers, removing her breast implants, and getting a butt reduction, as well as removing the dimple piercings that enhanced her fame and controversial tattoos.
In a recent Tamron Hall interview, the mother of two said that she has “fully recovered” from the procedures. She is also celebrating one year of sobriety and opened up about being worried about how her new journey would be received by others.
“I’ve been in the entertainment industry for so long, right, and of course, like, you know, coming out, I’m like young, I’m gonna do wild things as we all have,” she said.
“...I feel like by me being vocal and showing everybody you can change your life and things can get better, like through myself, that right there is an accomplishment, and that’s a part of freedom, too.”
But as she started on her journey, many people have shown her grace, which is something she’s grateful for. “And then the fact that people have been showing me grace, it’s like amazing,” she said. “And I feel like when I did it, I just did it. It was more so like spiritual thing and I feel like people see that, and I’ve always been like my authentic self, so what you see is kinda what you get with me, and that’s just kinda what it is.”
Chyna, who recently received an honorary doctorate from Sacramento Theology Seminary and Bible College, has also repaired her relationship with her mom, Tokyo Toni. The social media celebrity surprised her daughter on the Tamron Hall Show. Prior to the sentimental surprise, Chyna dished on the reconciliation and having a better understanding of her mom.
“I must say, some of the things I have to take accountability for because, like my actions. As a mother, you don’t want to see your daughter doing certain things ‘cause it’s like it doesn’t matter what my past was or what we’re going through, I didn’t raise you that way,” she admitted. “So, it’s like, okay, maybe I was a little bit wrong. Maybe I was acting out a little bit. But I feel like as we grow older, I kinda see more, and I understand more.”
Chyna will be starring in season two of Fox's reality competition show Special Forces: World's Toughest Test.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images