Aside from being a barrier-breaking hijabi model and activist, Halima Aden also has a BOMB makeup and skincare routine.
For Vogue's latest "Beauty Secrets" video, the young runway star showed us her skincare routine paired with a go-to party look — and honestly, her creativity knows no bounds. Here are a few things we learned from watching this video that we've now got to try ourselves:
Vogue Beauty Secrets/YouTube
How many of us have used sheet masks? Now, how many of us use the mask to wipe product directly on their face? Exactly! In the video, Halima folds up her brightening sheet mask and glides it onto her skin for added product. If you're on the quest for glowing skin, hydration will be key and utilizing a face mask before going in with products will ensure that your skin is moisturized, despite the frigid weather.
Vogue Beauty Secrets/YouTube
Halima used the Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick in a deep wine shade for not just her lips, but also on her eyes and her cheeks. She swept the product on her lids as a primer before going in with the Huda Beauty Rose Gold Remastered Eyeshadow Palette, and also dabbed it on her cheeks to bring a bit of color back to her face after foundation. I have to say, I've never thought about using lipstick for ALL three, but now I'm curious.
Give Your Skin A Great Base:
Vogue Beauty Secrets/YouTube
Before moving into makeup, lock in your pores by splashing cold water on your face like Halima, and then go in with a deep cleanser to really get in there. Add a thicker cream and a nourishing face oil to keep your face super hydrated and to help "make the foundation glide," according to Halima. Next, you must prime! Priming is always a step in makeup that people question whether it's necessary or not, but priming is so important for giving your skin a smooth base before going in with makeup.
Start with a buildable foundation that has a bit of glowiness — the NARS Sheer Glow foundation is perfect for coverage AND for brown girls. To make sure it's super blended, go in with a beauty blender so you can get into every nook and cranny.
Add In Layers:
Vogue Beauty Secrets/YouTube
Throughout the video, Halima goes back and forth between her brows, her cheeks, her contour, and adding lipstick everywhere. When in doubt, add more product to create a pretty, buildable effect. Stick with some colors that are close to your skin tone, but then go in with a blinding highlight and touch the places where the sun hits — brow bone, cupid's bow, top of cheeks, and even the inner corner of your eyes.
And when in doubt, keep your brows done! "You know how they say eyebrows should be like sisters, not twins? Well, mine aren't even talking. It's a family feud," said Halima while filling in her arches with a brow pencil and gel.
Even if you haven't gotten to your threading lady in a while, clean up under the brow with a pencil or shadow that's a few shades lighter than your skin tone. Bam, you're ready for a night out.
Vogue Beauty Secrets/YouTube
Watch the full video below.
Halima Aden's Epic Guide to Glowing Skin & Golden Eyes | Beauty Secrets | Voguewww.youtube.com
The $21 Product You Need In Your Beauty Arsenal - Read More
We've Unlocked The Secret To Mastering The Eyebrow Game With These Easy Tips - Read More
Teyana Taylor Is The Face Of The New Wu-Tang Clan-Inspired Lipstick Collection - Read More
Brown Girls Finally Have Some Brown Lipsticks To Wear For Fall - Read More
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
There are moments on our health journey when our bodies are bugging us to hit the reset button.
With life, we can start to see slips in our diet, irregular exercising, and inconsistent sleep schedules, and our mental health can suffer because of it. But what many people come to find is that with just a few adjustments — as opposed to restrictions — being made to their food intake, we can see a focus more on eating “the right” calories and less on being on a restrictive diet.
"Raw Till 4" is a dietary concept and lifestyle associated with the raw vegan and high-carb, low-fat vegan (HCLF) movements. Created by Australian blogger and YouTube star known as 'Freelee the Banana Girl', the method suggests eating raw, uncooked plant-based foods until 4 p.m. each day and then having a cooked, vegan meal in the evening.
The Raw Till 4 lifestyle follows the guidelines of vegan and rawist eating and involves consuming fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and sprouted grains in an uncooked, natural state until the designated time of 4 p.m. or around one’s typical dinner time. After 4 p.m., a cooked vegan meal is consumed, which may include foods like steamed vegetables, grains, legumes, and plant-based sources of protein like tofu or tempeh.
On TikTok, creator Adina Yaffa is repopularizing the trend, sharing how it’s helped to improve digestion, boost energy levels, and support weight loss.
Replying to @🌜kat🌛 here is what I eat in a day on a raw till 4 lifestyle. I eat with the sun and according to the circadian rhythm that out bodies follow on a typical day. Where i drink liquids during the first 8 hours, then juicy fruits, then smoothies, more dense building fats, proteins and veggies! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass #rawtill4
“During the hours of 4 a.m. and 8 a.m., your body is in an elimination phase and needs all the help it can get,” Yaffa says in the clip. “So what you’re going to do is drink coconut water, citrus juices, and green juices during this time, and around 8 a.m., you can break your fast with some fruit. I suggest juicing fruits, and then after that, I suggest having a smoothie or a bowl with berries and granola so you can get your fats and healthy proteins in.”
Raw till 4 has so many benefits including better digestion, nutrients, belly fat and bloat elimination, snatched waist, more energy and so much more! #snatchedwaist #bellyfat #bellybloat #smallwaist #hourglass
On the official Raw Till 4 website, Freelee the Banana Girl shares tips on how to get the best outcomes of this lifestyle change, which include:
- “Stay hydrated! You should pee about 8-12 times per day, and your urine should be clear. Drink 1 liter of water when you wake up in the morning, and 1 liter of water about 30 minutes before each meal for optimal results.”
- “Fragmented sodium (salt) should be kept to a minimum. Use herbs, lemon juice, etc. wherever possible in place of salt.”
- “Eat unlimited calories at every meal, no restriction. The majority of your calories each day should come from fruit. Don’t under-eat on fruit during the day or 'save up' your calories for dinner time. RT4 is about abundance at every meal.”
- “Move your body daily. Find an activity you love and make it your playful exercise.”
- “Make sure to get lots of rest, relaxation, and good sleep. Learning to incorporate good rest, early nights, and regular sleeping patterns into your life will greatly improve your overall health.”
- “Practice gratitude and peaceful emotions at mealtime, and get a vision book started! Be sure to enjoy this journey. Focus on long-term health instead of short-term results.”
Critics argue that it can be challenging to get all the necessary nutrients from a raw vegan diet and that it may not be suitable for everyone, especially over the long term.
As with any diet, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making significant dietary changes to ensure that it meets your individual nutritional needs and health goals.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by FreshSplash/Getty Images