Fall is harvest season. This means that if there is ever an optimum time to stop by your local farmers market, now would be it. But before you strike out, it's important that you know about some of the top foods that are in their prime right about now.
The reason why it's so beneficial to consume foods that are in season is 1) you'll be able to take the most advantage of the nutrients that they contain, and 2) you can forego all of the preservatives that foods need to remain "edible" whenever they are out of season.
Two other benefits that come from eating seasonal food is it's better for the environment and you'll be doing your partner to sustain farmers in your area. Plus, seasonal foods are cheaper in price as well. Now do you see why it's a good idea to eat as many seasonal fall foods as you possibly can?
If you're totally down, but you're not 100 percent sure which fruits and veggies make the list, I've included 10 of 'em. As a bonus, I included a recipe for you to try, just in case you want to impress some of your friends with all of your fall cuisine knowledge. Are you ready to get a healthy dose of fall-themed nutrition into your system?
One of the reasons why artichokes are so good for you is they are loaded with all sorts of nutrients. They contain vitamins B6, C and K, folate, iron, magnesium, potassium and even calcium—and that's just for starters! If you're a vegetarian or vegan, you'll be happy to know that they've got around 4.2 grams of protein (raw) as well. As far as the health benefits of artichokes go, they are able to help regulate your blood pressure, detoxify your liver, lower your blood sugar levels, relieve symptoms that are related to irritable bowel syndrome and, they contain cancer-fighting properties as well.
Fall Recipe To Try:Warm Artichoke-Olive Dip
2. Brussel Sprouts
When I was younger, I ate Brussel sprouts because I was made to. These days, I enjoy them based on how they are prepared. If you're someone who's always been a fan of this vegetable, that definitely works in your favor because they've got quite a bit of vitamins C and K in them, along with Vitamin A, folate and manganese. If you're constantly on the quest for a food with fiber, Brussel sprouts totally have your back. Another great thing about this vegetable is it's got omega-3 fatty acids as well. Thanks to the Vitamin K they contain, Brussel sprouts can help your blood to clot; thanks to the Vitamin C, you'll get a good amount of antioxidants into your system and, thanks to its sulfur compounds, it's the type of vegetable that can be a wonderful detoxifier—a real plus if you're trying to treat adult acne.
Fall Recipe To Try: Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad with Avocado & Pomegranate Seeds
3. Butternut Squash
Butternut squash is pretty bananas on the health benefits front. As far as Vitamin A goes, it's got a record 457% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) in it. Butternut squash also has a healthy dose of almost all of the vitamin Bs, as well as vitamins C, E, magnesium, potassium and manganese. If you're looking for a delicious way to stay regular, butternut squash is a good source of fiber. Also, because of the Vitamin C that it contains, it's the kind of vegetable that will support your immune system, protect your skin (UV rays can still affect it during the colder months) and reduce inflammation too. As a bonus, since it's only 100 calories per serving, butternut squash is the kind of food that can help you to lose weight too.
Fall Recipe To Try: Butternut Squash Risotto
Two things that are considered to be "nature's candy" are raisins and figs. A part of the reason is because they have a good amount of natural sugar in them. In fact, it's not uncommon for some people to turn figs into a paste and use them as a natural sweetener alternative for their dessert recipes. On the health tip, figs are another good source of fiber. Figs also are able to help control diabetes, lower cholesterol levels, strengthen bones, relieve sore throats, fight free radicals and, thanks to all of the antioxidants in them, they can keep your skin and hair looking pretty amazing too.
Fall Recipe To Try: Fig-Ruby Port Preserves
If you're not familiar with what kohlrabi is, it's basically a vegetable that's related to cabbage (another food that is in season this time of year, by the way). It is considered to be a cruciferous vegetable and has the nickname "German turnip". Kohlrabi is awesome because it has a whopping 93 percent of the daily value of Vitamin C that you need. It also contains a good amount of Vitamin B6, along with some potassium and manganese. Kohlrabi is a good veggie to eat during this time of the year because it's got the antioxidants anthocyanins, isothiocyanates and glucosinolates—all of which help to strengthen your immune system. Not only that but kohlrabi promotes a healthy gut, lowers your risk of heart disease, provides quite the energy boost, strengthens your eyes and even helps to prevent anemia.
Fall Recipe To Try: Crisp Apple & Kohlrabi Salad
Kind of as a sidebar, something that I like about pears is the fact that they represent wisdom. In Zora Neale Hurston's book Their Eyes Were Watching God, the pear tree was a symbol of inner peace as well. So, why not bite into some insight and tranquility this fall? If you do, you'll be enjoying a sweet fruit that will not cause your blood sugar to spike. Something else that's cool about pears is it's a food that has a nice source of fiber in them. Other things that make pears worthy of being on your grocery shopping list is they've got Vitamin C, potassium, electrolytes, magnesium and copper. Also, if you snack on one before you work out, the complex carbs in them will make it easier for you to complete your exercise regimen.
Fall Recipe To Try: Red Wine Poached Pears and Vanilla Bean Mascarpone Filling
If you don't know what persimmons are, they are a fruit that is in peak condition right about now that's known as being a "divine fruit". Because they are rich in catechins and polyphenolic antioxidants, persimmons can provide powerful anti-inflammatory benefits. Some other claims to fame with this particular fruit is its ability to curb your appetite without you having to worry about gaining weight (due to it being a low-calorie fruit). Persimmons also are low in sodium which makes them good for reducing hypertension, they contain copper that can support the production of healthy red blood cells, and—here's a random fun fact—a lot of Japanese people use them as a natural way to treat hiccups. (Try it and report back!)
Fall Recipe To Try:Persimmon Compote
8. Red Grapes
To tell you the truth, all grapes are in season during the early part of the fall. The reason why I specifically listed red ones is because, is it just me, or do they seem to taste better than white ones during this particular time of the year? Anyway, you'll want to store up on some of these because of all of the vitamins C and K that they have. Red grapes also have copper in them (something that your body needs if you want to naturally fight premature greying). Something else that's cool about red grapes is they've got 1,600 beneficial plant compounds in them to help keep chronic diseases at bay. One of those compounds is called resveratrol; it's got the ability to treat and help prevent cancer cells. Two other good things about red grapes is their ability to lower cholesterol levels and even boost brain health (this includes improving your memory).
Fall Recipe To Try: Sangria Grapes
Salsify is a root vegetable that has a very slightly sweet flavor to it. One of the main reasons why people eat it is to treat constipation, due to all of the fiber that it has. Salsify also contains quite a bit of the B vitamins and Vitamin C, along with iron, zinc, phosphorus and magnesium. It's a good source of protein as well. Salsify is another food that will keep your immune system in great shape. And, you'll want to eat it if you want to stay on top of regulating your blood pressure, improving your skin's appearance and, due to the calcium that's in it, reducing your PMS-related symptoms too.
Fall Recipe To Try: Splendiferous Salsify Soup
10. Sweet Potatoes
One more. I'm pretty sure you already knew that the perfect food known as sweet potatoes is in season during the autumn. If you definitely love the taste of homemade sweet potato pie (or sweet potato French fries), but you're not crystal clear on all of the ways it benefits your health, let's run through a few reasons, shall we? They are also a vegetable that's a great source of fiber. Some other wonderful benefits is they can help to keep you from developing a Vitamin A deficiency; the magnesium in them can keep your stress levels low; they've got compounds in them to guard your body against ulcers; they contain antimicrobial properties that fight against health challenges like pneumonia and, the vitamins A, C and E are wonderful for your skin. So yeah, if you don't get anything else on this list, at least pick up a few sweet potatoes. It's a signature fall food that is as healthy as it is delicious. Enjoy!
Fall Recipe To Try: Sweet Potato Pancakes
Want more stories like this? Sign up for our newsletter here and check out the related reads below:
Featured image by Shutterstock
- The 38 Essential Restaurants in Austin, Fall 2019 ›
- 60 Fall Recipes We're Looking Forward to Making | Bon Appétit ›
- Mid-Autumn Festival Food (7 Most Popular Chinese Dishes) ›
- Fall Must Eats NYC Restaurants - Thrillist ›
- Your Fall Apple Must-Eat List - Dorothy Lane Market ›
- 31 Healthy Fall Foods, According to a Nutritionist ›
- Fall for Greenville food guide: What to eat on a budget ›
- 10 Things You MUST Eat (& 'Gram) In NYC This Fall ›
- 60+ Fall-Flavored Things In Stores Now - Fall Foods, Fall Dishes ›
- A Ranking Of The 22 Foods You MUST Eat This Fall | HuffPost Life ›
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at email@example.com. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy