What's the first thing you did when you woke up this morning?
Did you roll over and check your smartphone? I knew it! Is this what the world has come to? Being a slave to Apple and Android? Come on, we have to do better…
Maintaining balance and growth in my life has always been very high on my list, so capturing ways to contribute to such lifestyle is of high importance to me.
When I open my eyes I'm sure to open a window for some fresh air, do some light reading, make my bed, drink a glass warm water or tea and jot down a few of my thoughts. Sounds peaceful doesn't it?!?!?
Rituals and routines are wonderful, but I still make it point to switch things up a bit every now and then. Some mornings, I just don't want to write or have a cup of tea. When I need to pull in some new inspiration this is the list I choose a replacement ritual from:
- Take a few deep breathes and take life in.
- Stretch for at least one minute
- Give thanks/pray/gratitude
- Make up the Bed [every single day]
- Eat breakfast [not too big though]
- Drink tea
- Read a chapter
- Write down your thoughts [on paper and not on your phone] or last nights dreams
- Take a teaspoon of coconut oil and apple cider vinegar
- Open your blinds or curtains
- Listen to music that speaks to your temperament
- Verbalize a handful of personal affirmations
- Work out
- Do a steam treatment
- Paint your nails
- Take a swim
- Brisk walk around the block
- Write down your goals for the day, week, month and year
- Do a goal check up
- Practice mindfulness – meditate
- Drink lemon water
- Romp around [hubba hubba– I'm such a creep lol]
- Make your lunch
- Get some fresh air on your patio or porch
- Listen to your favorite podcast or audiobook
- Make a smoothie
- Smile in the mirror for 20 seconds
- Look at bright colors
- Straighten up around the house.
- Tell yourself in the mirror how smart, beautiful and deserving you are!
Yes, this is a real list that I've doodled in my journal over the last few months.
I understand rituals are meant to be done in a prescribed order, but I'm always been one to shake things up. Let your routine always allow for two to three constants (for me that's eating a hearty breakfast and making the bed) as well as two to three variable rituals that you can switch up depending on your mood. I'm still learning to make number 25, 30 and 33 more permanent.
Hopefully it will serve you well as you journey towards a better you!
What would you add to the list?
Originally posted on GoodLooknout.com