Crystals are one of nature's magical ways of releasing different energies that can help keep us grounded. Each one has varying healing properties that can be used to reinforce whatever holistic energy healing you might be interested in working with.
Before you use any crystals in affirmation meditation, set your intentions on what it is exactly you would like to meditate about. Are you sending affirmations for self-love, abundance, happiness, or spiritual protection? There are crystals that evoke these energies. The following guide wiill not only show you where to begin in your meditative crystal journey, but it will also provide you with the techniques to transform your daily affirmations.
A Beginner's Guide To Crystals
As stated above, every crystal has a different energetic healing property. Depending on the area of your spirit or chakra that you wish to acknowledge, will dictate which crystal you begin your affirmation practices with. See below for a comprehensive list of what crystals contain which properties.
Crystals For Self-Love & Healing
Crystals that work with self-love connect to the heart chakra. These include Rose Quartz, Sunstone, Citrine, or Clear Crystal quartz. The most commonly used is the rose quartz. Per Energy Muse, "The way it facilitates love entering your life is through its ability to bring your consciousness to a higher level. Helping you to forgive, understand and see fights or situations from a different perspective, rose quartz healing properties will imbue you with the wisdom to deepen your connection with your partner. In that same way, rose quartz properties provide gentle energy that assists you in recognizing your own need for compassion. It allows you to see that you deserve forgiveness and understanding from yourself."
Mantra:"Dear universe, I wish to use this crystal to help me integrate its healing properties of self love into my body, spirit, and heart chakra."
Crystals For Grounding Energy
When using crystals for grounding, clarity, focus, and direction, these energies are associated with and connected to your Root and Solar Plexus Chakra. Crystals you can use include Malachite, Hematite, Amazonite, or Smoky Quartz. Hematite specifically is known for its ability to help clear negative energy by absorbing it. In its place, a sense of calm emanates in times of worry, anxiety, or stress. This crystal and the others mentioned are known for their abilities to transform negativity into positive vibrations.
Mantra: "Dear universe, I wish to use this crystal to help me integrate its healing properties of grounding and clarity into my body, spirit, and root and solar plexus chakra."
Crystals For Connecting To Your Upper Chakras
When wanting to tap into your intuition, higher self, and psychic abilities during meditation, use specific crystals to connect with your Third Eye and Crown chakras. These crystals include Lapis Lazuli, Labradorite, Azurite, Charoite, and Dumortierite. With Labradorite crystals, your inner consciousness is awakened. Your deeper mind opens, so does your creativity.
Mantra: "Dear universe, I wish to use this crystal to help me integrate its healing properties of intuition and connectivity into my body, spirit, and third eye and crown chakras."
Crystals For Manifestation
Sometimes we wish to use crystals to manifest abundance and prosperity. In those instances, use Amethyst, Citrine, Pyrite, Aventurine, and Tiger Eye. In addition to bringing clarity, citrine's warmth is also responsible for success, power, and happiness. Like attracts like and it is believed that through this crystal's vibrations, you will attract a world of abundance to yourself through its use. If you get small enough crystals, you can place them in things like your wallet, or your desk at your place of business. The energies will certainly draw in abundance.
Mantra: "Dear universe, I wish to use this crystal to help me integrate its healing properties of abundance and prosperity into my body, mind, and spirit."
How To Clean Your Crystals
When you first buy a crystal, it is likely that other hands have been on it. To assure that you are accessing the best energetic connection, the first thing you would want to do is to clean your crystal. You can do this by:
- Soaking your crystals in salted water. You can also hold your crystals under running water.
- Smudging or waving smoke around your crystals with Lavender or Basil Incense, Palo Santo, or Sage smoke.
- Placing your crystals around a charged Selenite or Clear Crystal Quartz tower or wand.
How To Charge Your Crystals
Just like we have to charge our phones to give it juice, we have to also charge our crystals to make sure that we are utilizing its full energetic power. You can charge your crystals by:
- Soaking your crystals in sunlight for a day.
- Sitting your crystals under a full moon overnight.
- Bury your crystals under earth for a day.
How To Use Your Crystals
Charge Your Water:
Water is an essential part of sustaining human life, and even though we are mostly made of water, we still need it to survive. Why not take one of those crucial parts of human life and amplify it with the power and energy of crystals?
When you drink your first glass of water in the morning, use this time to meditate and send affirmations. Drop a charged and cleaned crystal of your choice into your water. Consider using a Hematite or a Clear Crystal Quartz to start your day off with clarity, focus, and cleansing.
Sleep With A Crystal Under Your Pillow:
- Right before you do your nightly meditations and affirmations, place a crystal of your choice under your pillow.
- Focus your attention on the energy you wish to experience in your sleep. Say you want to work with your third eye and lucid dreaming, place a Labradorite, or Lapis Lazuli crystal under your pillow.
- Perhaps you need to work on self-love, set your intentions on loving yourself, and clearing any negative energy in your body overnight. You will most definitely wake up feeling renewed and invigorated.
Wear Crystals and Carry Them With You:
Simply wear crystals on your body! You can buy or make beautiful crystal, stone, and copper or silver wire necklaces, rings, and other embellishments, to not only adorn your body, but to receive its energy throughout the day. This is also a great way to support small-, women-, and POC-owned businesses. Also carry single crystals with you in your bags.
Connect Through Your Yoni:
What's better than using Crystal Yoni eggs to work with divine feminine energies? Use Yoni eggs in conjunction with Yoni steaming for the full effect of your crystal's energetic properties! Also, if you're looking to take your self-pleasure up a notch while engaging in healing acts of self-care, crystal dildos are a perfect option for that too.
- Magnifying Self Affirmations with Healing CrystalsEnergy Muse Blog ›
- The Power Of Positive Affirmations To Manifest Your Dreams ›
- Affirmations Reference Chart - Healing Crystals ›
- 5 Life-Transforming Crystal Affirmations (and Crystals to Live by ... ›
- Lavish Earth Crystal Affirmation Cards | Everyday Magic ›
- 8 Lesser-Known Ways To Use Crystals In Your Everyday Routine ›
- Crystal Crash Course: A Beginner's Guide to Healing ... ›
- Healing Crystals: How To Use Them To Manifest Health ... ›
- How to Use Crystals - Gabby Bernstein ›
- A Beginner's Guide To Using Crystals And Stones ›
- The 10 Best Ways to Use Crystals in Your Magical and Spiritual Work ›
- The Ultimate Crystal Guide: How To Use Over 50 Healing Crystals ... ›
Fontaine Felisha Foxworth is a writer and creative entrepreneur from Brooklyn New York. She is currently on the West Coast working on creating a TV Pilot called "Finding Fontaine", that details the nomadic journey of her life so far. Keep up with her shenanigans @famoustaine on IG.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
We waved farewell to summer last week, along with all its highlights. Now we warmly embrace music that encourages us to feel, calm down, and think back on the last enjoyable months and their aftermath. Some of the aftereffects of our summertime delights, like "Lil Boo Thang" and "Guarantee," will make us feel content and that our time was well spent. Other repercussions, like "I Just Wanna Feel Your Love Again" and "No SZNs," are more severe and will leave us contemplating some ill-placed steps while we spiral into deep despair.
Whichever side you find yourself on during this change of seasons, or if you're between, consider adding some of these new singles to your playlist to help mourn what's left of this summertime weather. While also welcoming the possibilities that only autumn's beautiful breeze can create.
1.Doechii - "Pacer"
Oh, Doechii, how we have waited for you at every door and corner for what seems like an eternity; yet we are so grateful that you have finally arrived. Doechii has released another single to further demonstrate her versatility after releasing one of the summer's most popular songs. With "Pacer," Doechii, who stunned us with her vocal range on "What It Is," goes back to her rapping roots. The TDE phenomenon starts the song out completely unhinged. With a blood-curdling scream, similar to fellow TDE artist Jay Rock, Doechii gathers her clique to prepare for battle, as though she had just returned from a fierce altercation.
However, instead of amassing casualties upon those who doubted her, Doechii plans to render them inept under the weight of her accomplishments and accolades. She acknowledges that she has arrived at her success later than she had hoped, but says she is on "God's time," and that while reaching her level of achievement later than others, she has done it regardless and with enough assurance to intend to remain for a while.
2."No Statements" - ScarLip
No matter what rap music you play these days, there is always a critic waiting to proclaim that rap and hip-hop are dying. Although part of what they say is true, they haven't yet detected the faint pulse that keeps the business alive. If the naysayers would quiet down long enough to hear that fading pulse, it would be the sound of female rappers smashing through locked doors in an attempt to reclaim its strong and steady beat. One of those rappers, besides Doechii, is ScarLip.
ScarLip, who is 22 years old, fresh off the success of her 2022 "Glizzy Gobbler," has dropped her newest single "No Statements." The rapper says in "No Statements" that she is not in the business of snitching, making statements, or leaving a paper trail of her wrongdoings, but rather needs to be fully aware of the circumstances so she may proceed with her decisions. It would be difficult to not hear people humming this song for weeks to come, because of the catchy chorus and straightforward lyricism. Maybe after this, critics can follow her lead and refrain from making detrimental statements.
3."How Were We To Know" - Emeli Sandé
How were we to know? We ponder this question after a relationship has ended and everything has been put out on the floor to be either picked up and rebuilt or swept away and abandoned. How were we to tell if the connection would burn to the ground or vanish into thin air? How could we have known that the person we intended to spend forever with would be gone the next day? How were we to recognize all the signs when they were arranged randomly and incomprehensibly? In this query, we pardon ourselves for not being omniscient. We accept responsibility for failing to recognize the apparent facts that were put in front of us.
Emelie Sandé asks the same questions in her most recent song, "How Were We To Know." She ponders how she might have known that the relationship was doomed. But as the song goes on, it becomes obvious that she, just like the rest of us, could have easily figured it out if we had communicated better, assigned blame less frequently, and set aside our egos.
4."Angel" - Halle (Acoustic Performance)
At the beginning of August, Halle Bailey released "Angel," her debut single as a solo performer. In less than a few hours, the piano-driven ballad that explored what it is like to be a Black woman growing up in this tiresome, neglectful environment captured millions of listeners and became an anthem for all sun-kissed girls. With beautiful lyricism that acknowledges the weight unfairly burdened upon Black women, Halle reminds audiences that they are in fact angelic, despite the demons that appear out of the woodwork to tell us otherwise.
When one falls, they fall "onto clouds" and find a way to make their way through the limitless struggles bestowed by simply existing. After all, as I said before, black women are the only things to ever grow without nourishment. As if the song couldn't be lovelier than the original rendition, Halle debuted an acoustic version of the smash a couple of weeks ago to demonstrate just how genuinely heavenly she is.
5."No SZNS" - Jean Dawson and SZA
Every day is like the day before. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west, and everything beautiful and dismal that can happen occurs in between. The seasons bring a certain ambiance that allows for differentiation between the past and the present, but only if you're in a place where it matters, and the changing of seasons can be felt. If not, then every day is every day. In "NO SZNS," by Jean Dawson and SZA, this simple fact is mentioned repeatedly in the chorus; but the reality of every day being the same creates an unshakeable melancholy that can only be felt through their lilting vocals and sometimes abrupt instrumentals.
They appear to be pleading for some other truth, because they find it difficult to accept that each day will be the same as the last, and that, despite the passing of time and the changing of the seasons, we are doomed to repeat the at times idyllic, terrifying cycle.
6."Black Dress" - 070 Shake
It's unfortunate that not as many people tune in to 070 Shake as frequently as they ought to. Despite becoming popular with her song "SCAR" on Beyoncé's The Lion King: The Gift, many people are still unaware of how good she is as an artist. The unclassifiable New Jersey musician, whose music is tough to define, has released "Black Dress," in preparation for her second album, You Can't Kill Me. The brand-new 070 Shake track "Black Dress" is a sensation with a haunting feel.
The song has strong, churning guitars, hazy synthesizers, and trap 808s that help to create an eerie and encapsulating, daunting melody. Shake plays the sole survivor of an aircraft accident in the popular song's music video, which was shot by Noah Lee. She is originally stranded in a tree with her parachute before descending to the burning wreckage below. When she finally touches the ground, she performs a song deserving of the fame she will one day enjoy.
7."You" - Lola Brooke ft. Bryson Tiller
What's that I hear around the way? Oh, another female rapper here to save the day? With the help of Bryson Tiller, Lola Brooke's newest song, "You," aims to kick off this cuffing season in the 90s. The rapper, who is relatively new to the hip-hop scene and who recently released the single "Don't Play With It," samples Foxxy Brown's popular song "Get Me Home" on this nearly three-minute tune.
In time for the fall, Brooke and Tiller's powerful voices and sensuous vocals have created the ideal song to dance to while searching for love. In her lyrics, the 29-year-old displays both her Brooklyn heritage and the characteristics ideal in a potential suitor. By the end of the song, it is clear that Brooke plans to move through this cuffing season with intention and refuses to settle for anything less than what she deserves.
8."Guarantee" - Black Eyed Peas
No matter how far into the future we are, you can always depend on the Black Eyed Peas to come from a more vibrant, lively, and distant time period than our own. The trio speaks about having what other people need in their newest song, "Guarantee," off of their 2022 album ELEVATION. In this single, they assert that they can elevate all that is freely provided to them, leading to greater love, knowledge, and total pleasure.
Promising endless satisfaction, they show what is guaranteed if only given the opportunity. With a fun summer mix and poppy, futuristic beat, "Guarantee" is one of the dance songs the endless heat has to give.
9."Lil Boo Thang" - Paul Russell
It is almost ridiculous how often this song has been played throughout the summer, to not have made it in time to be a summer hit. But with only the first 30 seconds available to audiences via TikTok, it had no other choice but to be a glimmer of what it could have been. Nevertheless, now that Paul Russell's "Lil Boo Thang" has been made available, it includes a much lengthier version of the endearing summer song about liking someone enough to be open and honest about one's intentions.
In this short song, he sings of all the potential and affection he can bring to the relationship if only given the chance. Concluding with a nice homage to The Emotions' "Best of My Love," "Lil Boo Thang" might be able to reclaim the love it was unable to receive in the summer this fall.
10."I Just Wanna Feel Your Love Again." - Montell Fish
If Kevin Abstract, Leon Bridges, and Moses Sumney had a baby, I'd imagine it'd be this Montell Fish single. In "I Just Wanna Feel Your Love Again." Fish laments the end of his relationship and the unrestricted love that came with its demise in this song. Without her affection, the need and want to be with her consumes his weekends and moments, but he is always left pleading and alone.
To make matters worse, he is compelled to navigate the world knowing how wonderful it is to experience everlasting love and realizing that he is unlikely to come close to doing so again. As he sings over a guitar and echoing backing vocals, the song has a loneliness that cannot be placed into words. Ultimately, his longing to once again experience his love's devotion feels almost unearthly and forever out of reach.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by