February is the first fashion month of the year chock-full of fashion weeks hosted all around he world. It's the month that holds all the trends that will prevail in the fall. We had the amazing opportunity to attend some amazing shows all over the concrete jungle. Trends like capes, leather and puff pieces are on the horizon for the later months. Romeo Hunte, Fe Noel, JUST IN XX and Rene Tyler are just a few of the collections we can't stop thinking about as they have us ecstatic for fall.
Ahead, find our trend report based on what we spotted on the runways during NYFW.
Trend: Ponchos & Capes
Gabriella Hearst, Brandon Maxwell
Gabriella Hearst: TeenVogue -- Brandon Maxwell:
Consider the cape and poncho your new coats for fall. You heard it right – the 2000s trend is back and ready to warm your fashionable hearts. Best of all, there are options for everyone in every style group. If you're more Sporty Spice, you can opt for a cozy knitted poncho. If you're more Posh Spice, you would be more comfortable in a sleek cape paired with an equally chic bottom.
Trend: Glitz & Glamour
Romeo Hunte, Tom Ford, Area
Romeo Hunte: Courtesy of Purple PR -- Tom Ford: Refinery29 -- Area: FootwearNews
The runways were dripping with diamonds, metallics and so many more shiny pieces. It seems like the goals was to light up any room you step in with extravagant jewels. Romeo Hunte reimagined the biker chick with elevated fringe while Tom Ford went straight Hollywood glam with bows and a high slit. Then there's Area's take on a funky but fun romper.
The Arlo Studio, Self-Portrait, Coach, Son Jung Wan
The Arlo Studio: Courtesy of Global Fashion Collective -- Self-Portrait: Vogue -- Coach: Marie Claire -- Son Jung Wan: Courtesy of Deborah Hughes Inc
There's nothing more classic than leather and much like this season the buttery texture will be heading into fall with us. Try to find more opulent staples like jumpsuits, dresses and skirts. While we all love a good moto jacket, we want to amp it up come fall. We especially fell in love The Arlo Studio's olive green jumpsuit because it's simple and uncomplicated. If you want to baby step your way into the texture, cop a leather trench coat as you can easily couple it with so many looks.
Baja East, Sukeina, JUST IN XX
Baja East: Vogue -- Sukeina: Haute Fashion Africa -- JUST IN XX: Courtesy of Agentry PR
White is a controversial hue during the fall months with old ancient myths saying you shouldn't wear white after Labor Day. In actuality, white is even more hot and trendy after September. Whether you dress in head-to-toe white or choose one standout piece, you will stun everyone. White remains an effervescent color that is a perfect image of modern minimalism. Baja East, Sukeina and JUST IN XX's collections are the proof.
Trend: Puff Pieces
Christian Cowan, LaQuan Smith
Christian Cowan: Flaunt -- LaQuan Smith: Essence
Christian Cowan and LaQuan Smith weren't the only designers showing off some major puff pieces but these two looks were definitely our faves. We believe it's because both designers aim to help women feel sexy and comfortable in their own skin and that includes staying warm stylishly. We can look forward to pieces in all shapes, sizes and staples. For example, do you see these puffer boots!? *insert fire emoji*
Loved to See It: Fe Noel's NYFW Debut
Fe Noel made her New York Fashion Week debut this February and it left us speechless. The energy leading up to the Grenadan artist's show was nothing short of magical as her family, friends and sea of supporters filed into Spring Studios. The show started with a heart-wrenching, bass jumping film featuring the Caribbean designer's roots.
The premiere of the collection, "Daughter of the Soil", showcased models mostly of the melanin persuasion in romantic and feminine garments. From flowing silk dresses to printed robes to coordinate sets that made you want to jet set to the islands immediately, we were left in awe of Fe Noel's artisanship, intentionality and grace behind this collection.
Loved to See It: Body Positivity!
Rene Tyler, Chromat
Rene Tyler: Courtesy of Oxford Fashion Studio -- Chromat: Flaunt
Rene Tyler and Chromat gave us so much life with their inclusive collections. Seeing women that reflect the world we live in is so important in fashion. The average woman is a size 14 so to see collections that embrace women of all sizes speaks volumes. We have more progress to make but it was enlightening to see two collections dedicated to the diversity and inclusion. Rene Tyler served up classy sex appeal while Chromat gave us our next athleisure vibes.
Want more stories like this? Sign up for our weekly newsletter here to receive our latest articles and news straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Getty Images
- 20 Black Girl Street Style Looks That Turned Our Heads During ... ›
- Style Guide: How To Rock The Athleisure Trend - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- The best NYFW trends of 2020 - New York Post ›
- Fashion Color Trend Report New York Spring/Summer 2020 | Pantone ›
- The Best Trends From New York Fashion Week Fall 2020 | InStyle ... ›
- 5 Standout Fall 2020 Beauty Trends From New York Fashion Week ... ›
- The Best Beauty Looks From New York Fashion Week F/W 2020 ... ›
- 8 Top Trends From the New York Fashion Week Fall 2020 Runways ... ›
- The 7 Biggest Fall 2020 Fashion Trends From New York Fashion ... ›
- The Biggest Fall 2020 Trends From New York Fashion Week ›
- Best Fashion Trends from New York Fashion Week Fall 2020 ›
- New York Fashion Week 2020: Trends you'll see this fall - Los ... ›
Joce Blake is a womanist who loves fashion, Beyonce and Hot Cheetos. The sophistiratchet enthusiast is based in Brooklyn, NY but has southern belle roots as she was born and raised in Memphis, TN. Keep up with her on Instagram @joce_blake and on Twitter @SaraJessicaBee.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
We all have a dream life that we spend our free time daydreaming about. You know, the one with a loving partner, high-rise apartment, thriving career, and endless abundance. But as much as we can dream about it, there has to be a little extra sprinkle of “magic” to make it become a reality, and that’s when manifestation comes in.
The uptick in manifestation techniques is nothing new to the internet. Since The Secret and the Law of Attraction became available on YouTube in the early 2010s and fast forward to today, where #manifestationtok and #spiritualtok surging in popularity, it’s clear that there are a number of different ways to get what you want out of life with the right action, affirmation, and visualization.
Still, with so many ways to manifest, from scripting to the 3-6-9 Method, it can be hard to know which one to lean into. But there’s one new technique that’s promising to yield “instant results,” and we’re curious about it.
The "I Am Sure" Manifestation
Replying to @A I M E E 🖤 lG: hothighpriestess 🤍 this is the “I am sure” method #iamsuremethod
The “I Am Sure” manifestation gained traction this summer by TikTok creator Sara Perl of @hothighpriestess, who initially introduced the method.
In her original video breaking down the concept, she detailed the steps to use the technique for those looking to “manifest overnight.” To do so, start by stating “I am sure,” followed by “your desired manifestation in the present tense.” If there’s a job, promotion, or text from a crush that you want, then you’d say, “I am sure that I got X job,” or “I am sure that I make a $100K salary.” Repeat this out loud 10 times, or for faster results, write them down on a piece of paper and say it back to yourself whenever the desire comes up.
Using your words and speaking in the present tense, affirmatively, “puts you in the frequency that has that desire,” as Perl states. “We know our thoughts create our reality, but our words create our reality even faster.”
No matter how you choose to manifest your dream life, there’s nothing like channeling a powerful affirmation and some faith to get what you desire. In every instance, though, allow yourself to dismiss any doubt that may try to cloud your hopes in good things coming into your life, and don’t hold too tightly onto the “how” or “when.” Trust the process and know that the “thing” that you desire is just waiting for the perfect time to enter your life.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Tassii/Getty Images