Let's be clear. I accept and love Issa Rae for who she is and who she has been from the 99' to the 2000. But her recent feature in Women's Health has all of us like damnnn sis!
Our favorite awkward black girl may be behind the scenes more these days, but in her recent interview, she revealed that she's still working just as hard as she was in her YouTube era. As always, Issa is the best friend in our head who's always dropping gems, and this time she stopped by to remind us to hold ourselves accountable.
I think many of us have encountered the freshman 15 at some point or another, and as a newbie in the entertainment industry, Issa experienced this firsthand. When the 34-year-old Insecure creator first caught fire in the industry, her unlimited access to cash caused her to gain a few pounds. She explained to Women's Health:
"When the Web series started, I was very, very broke. Then more opportunities began to come. I was gaining New Money Weight. When you get a new job, you're like, 'I can afford to eat at restaurants all the time!' That adds up in weight."
Although impromptu dinner dates are never a bad idea, they can also come with a few impromptu pounds. It's true that we make time for what we want, but let's be real, who ever really wants to work out? Although being a breakout megastar came with a busy schedule, Issa said there came a time when she realized that she had to stop making excuses. Seeing herself on television took a blow to her self-esteem and she knew that it was time for a change, one that started with managing her physical fitness.
"I was a big excuse person when it came to exercising and eating right. I'd have spurts of trying to work out and being good. Then once I fell off, I'd be like, 'Well, there's always next year. Let me make it my New Year's resolution.' But even then, I would still be eating wrong while exercising vigorously."
Issa's chaotic work life didn't make the process any easier but developing a scheduled routine ultimately became the key to her success. Unlike many celebrities, Issa's routine isn't intense or complicated and is relatable AF. As a part of her daily fitness regimen, Issa wakes up at 4:55 a.m. to jog through her neighborhood for an hour.
"Let me not put extras on it. I exercise for, like, an hour each day. My neighborhood has a bunch of hills, so it's walking up hills. Then I alternate between walking and jogging. I hate jogging—you're going in circles, but I recognize that it helps."
Issa also had this unlikely recommendation for fellow joggers who want to boost creativity during workouts:
"You know those earbuds that you put in your ears? I was running, and one fell. It was dark outside and I couldn't find it. So I was forced to just be alone with my thoughts, and I was like, 'Oh, I need to do this more often.' Those moments are the most creative. I think finding those moments while also nurturing your body is important."
Speaking of nurturing your body, "the paleo-leaning" actress revealed that after being vegetarian for 15 years, she is now living a (basically) paleolithic lifestyle. Issa told Women's Health that after rediscovering bacon after more than a decade, she has now decided to explore her meal planning options and is experimenting with cooking Senegalese food. So when's the dinner party, sis?
Read the full article on Women's Healthhere.
Issa Rae Shares Why You Shouldn't Settle For Complacency - Read More
The Trendy Diets That Celebs Like Beyonce & Halle Berry Are Co-Signing - Read More
The Truth About Medical Weight Loss Clinics: Do Diet Pills Actually Work? - Read More
Featured image by Jamie Lamor Thompson / Shutterstock.com
- The Trendy Diets That Celebs Like Beyonce & Halle Berry Are Co ... ›
- Issa Rae Dishes On Her Self-Care Secrets - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Beyonce 22-Day Vegan Diet 2019 - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- The Cheapskate's Guide to Weight Loss - MEL Magazine ›
- Issa Rae is so skinny now | Lipstick Alley ›
- How Insecure Star Jay Ellis Lost 15 Lbs. To Play a Character ... ›
- "Insecure" Star Issa Rae on How Fashion Helped Her Find Confidence ›
- After Gaining “New Money Weight,” Issa Rae Said Seeing Herself ... ›
- Issa Rae Interview at 2015 L.A. Times Festival of Books - YouTube ›
- Insecure: Issa and Lawrence's Style Transformations ›
- 'Insecure' Star Issa Rae Shares Her Weight Loss Secret | Pretty Girls ... ›
- Issa Rae gained 'new money weight' after success ›
- 'Insecure' Star Issa Rae Credits Weight Loss To Paleo Diet, Jogging ›
Taylor "Pretty" Honore is a spiritually centered and equally provocative rapper from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with a love for people and storytelling. You can probably find me planting herbs in your local community garden, blasting "Back That Thang Up" from my mini speaker. Let's get to know each other: @prettyhonore.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Watching Angela “Blac Chyna” White’s transformation in real-time has truly been a sight to see. It wasn’t that long ago that she announced that she was reversing her cosmetic surgeries in an effort to go back to who she was before the world came to know her as Blac Chyna. In previous interviews, she stated that she was dissolving her facial and lip fillers, removing her breast implants, and getting a butt reduction, as well as removing the dimple piercings that enhanced her fame and controversial tattoos.
In a recent Tamron Hall interview, the mother of two said that she has “fully recovered” from the procedures. She is also celebrating one year of sobriety and opened up about being worried about how her new journey would be received by others.
“I’ve been in the entertainment industry for so long, right, and of course, like, you know, coming out, I’m like young, I’m gonna do wild things as we all have,” she said.
“...I feel like by me being vocal and showing everybody you can change your life and things can get better, like through myself, that right there is an accomplishment, and that’s a part of freedom, too.”
But as she started on her journey, many people have shown her grace, which is something she’s grateful for. “And then the fact that people have been showing me grace, it’s like amazing,” she said. “And I feel like when I did it, I just did it. It was more so like spiritual thing and I feel like people see that, and I’ve always been like my authentic self, so what you see is kinda what you get with me, and that’s just kinda what it is.”
Chyna, who recently received an honorary doctorate from Sacramento Theology Seminary and Bible College, has also repaired her relationship with her mom, Tokyo Toni. The social media celebrity surprised her daughter on the Tamron Hall Show. Prior to the sentimental surprise, Chyna dished on the reconciliation and having a better understanding of her mom.
“I must say, some of the things I have to take accountability for because, like my actions. As a mother, you don’t want to see your daughter doing certain things ‘cause it’s like it doesn’t matter what my past was or what we’re going through, I didn’t raise you that way,” she admitted. “So, it’s like, okay, maybe I was a little bit wrong. Maybe I was acting out a little bit. But I feel like as we grow older, I kinda see more, and I understand more.”
Chyna will be starring in season two of Fox's reality competition show Special Forces: World's Toughest Test.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images