A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to add some upgrades to my bedroom. There was a particular comforter that I was eyeing that y'all, when it arrived, it's like I never want to get out of my bed again! Then I added some shams and new drapes and it's like…everything changed.
That's kind of what inspired me to write this. Every year, there are décor trends that pop up. So, I figured that since we're only a few weeks away from it officially becoming spring (March 20), you might want to make some additions at your own place. Ones that won't cost you an arm and half a leg to get. Are you ready to check out 12 home décor trends that are currently all the rage?
1. Yellow and Grey Color Palette
As far as color trends go, a combo that is pretty big this year is yellow and grey which I actually think is pretty dope.
The reason why I decided to put it on this list of décor trends is because, when a color trend is happening, it's pretty easy to find it, just about anywhere. You can put a yellow blanket over a grey bed or couch. You can find grey coffee mugs to go over yellow placemats in your kitchen. The possibilities really are endless.
And personally, what I find to be cool about yellow and grey, is it's just the right blend of masculine and feminine energy if you happen to be someone who doesn't like anything that is "too girly" or you share your space with your boo thang.
2. Plush Accessories
I've got some plush pillows that I'm looking at right now in my living room, that I absolutely adore. They literally look like clouds and sometimes, when I lay on them, I feel like I am on one. Plush accessories are everywhere in 2021, so if you're looking for something that's super comfy and not that expensive, this trend totally has you covered, from Walmart to the more high-end spots.
3. Wooden Furniture
Whether it's a nightstand, a bedframe or even a footstool, wood always adds a really nice touch. Not only is it aesthetically appealing but it's durable, versatile, easy to maintain, eco-friendly and is pretty timeless too (meaning, if you get it now and take care of it, you can probably hold onto it forever). The key is to not get the cheap imitation stuff. Nah, the best woods for furniture include mahogany, walnut, maple, cherry and ash. Real lasts. Remember that.
4. Vintage Pieces
It wasn't uncommon that my mom would stop by antique malls or estate sales when I was a kid. As a direct result, I now have a flare for picking out vintage pieces. What I like about this particular décor trend is 1) you can find one-of-a-kind items that no one else will ever have in their own home and 2) oftentimes, they aren't expensive at all. If you make a day of it to go thrift store shopping, you might be surprised by the mirrors, picture frames and trinkets that are super vintage and come at a really low cost.
5. Plenty of Plants
Did you know that there are actual scientific reasons why it's a good idea to have houseplants? They reduce stress. They increase empathy. They help you to recover from illnesses faster. They increase productivity. They also can help to strengthen your immune system, thanks to the phytoncides and other airborne chemicals that they contain. While having plants in your home is something that never really goes out of style, what makes this trend stand out this year is the more you've got, the better off you'll be. I mean, plants in the kitchen, plants in your home office, plants even in your bathroom if you want. If you're down and you're wondering which ones you should add to your collection, Aralia Fabian, Burgundy Rubber Tree, Jade, Ficus Alii, Spider Plant, Ficus Bonsai Tree, Devil's Ivy, Areca Palm, Heartleaf Philodendron and Air Plants are some that can make you feel like you're in your own little oasis.
Although I've never had one in my bedroom before, I've always liked canopies. To me, they look really romantic and can also give you an extra bit of privacy. The thing that I like about this particular picture is it shows that you could create a canopy with fabric or even with faux greenery. Anyway, if a canopy bed is something that you're open to and money is tight, this is something that you can take out a day on the weekend to do yourself. BuzzFeed published a DIY article on how to make several different kinds a few years back. You can check it out by clicking here.
7. Darker Hues
If you're someone who leans towards darker colors, you're in luck because that is something else that's a hot trend right now. Navy, brown, aubergine (which is kinda sorta like an eggplant), sunset (which is a really dark orange) and hunter greens are all popular and would look great as an accent wall, a sofa cover or the accent for the bathroom accessories that you've got in mind. Since they are all trending, they are currently in abundance. Have a ball.
8. Indoor Gardens
Have you been saying to yourself for years that you should start a garden, but either you live in a space where there isn't a backyard or the mere thought of doing all of the work to start and maintain one totally wears you out? In either case, an alternative is to cultivate a garden inside of your home. All you need are some seeds, some jars, some water, and a little bit of TLC.
Indoor gardens are actually really big this year, especially when it comes to growing your own herbs. So, if this is something that you're down for at least considering, Home Hacks pushed an article that features 40 different herbs, houseplants and veggies that you can grow inside. Click here for some inspiration.
9. A Taste of Africa
Whether you've been to Africa before or it's currently on your bucket list, you can feel like you've got a little bit of it with you year-round if you add some African-inspired elements throughout your home. Afro-chic art, animal print throw rugs, wooden utensils, African-printed pillows and cushions can make your space feel more cultural and yet super modern at the same time. Etsy is one space that has many options to choose from. Just go to the site and put "African" along with whatever you're specifically looking for in the search field for some affordable items that you'll absolutely adore.
10. Ocean Blue
Let's touch on one more color that is a big décor trend this year. I don't know about you, but to me, blue is a very soothing hue. And ocean blue it definitely brings a calming effect like no other. It actually makes sense when you think about the fact that blue represents things like relaxation, tranquility and even dependability. Ocean blue bedding. Ocean blue dinner plates. Ocean blue towels in your bathroom. Ocean blue chairs for your deck. Ocean blue picture frames for your office. I can't think of anywhere this color wouldn't fit in beautifully. I really can't.
11. Upgrades to Your Backyard
If you're blessed to have a backyard, devote some time this year to sprucing it up a bit. An outdoor rug. Stringing some lights. Making your own stone path. Planting some flowers. Adding a comfy seat. Painting a mural on your wooden fence. Creating a space for outdoor dining. These are just a few things that you can do that will make it so much easier to spend hours out in your backyard this coming spring, summer and even autumn without you looking at your watch one time.
12. Drink Trolleys
Drink trolleys. Bar carts. Whatever you wanna call them, they're going to round out this installment of 2021 décor trends. I like them because they offer up a classy way to store your alcohol, plus they're convenient if you're hosting a dinner party (you know, whenever we get out of this pandemic) because all you've gotta do is roll 'em out.
As far as where to find one, home improvement stores have them. So do Target and Etsy. Just go to your favorite search engine, put "drink trolley" (or "bar cart") in the search field and you're all set to have one of the best décor trends this year has to offer. Enjoy!
Join our xoTribe, an exclusive community dedicated to YOU and your stories and all things xoNecole. Be a part of a growing community of women from all over the world who come together to uplift, inspire, and inform each other on all things related to the glow up.
Featured image by Shutterstock
- Tour Multifaceted Creative McKenzie Renae's Dope ATL Abode ... ›
- 12 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Bedroom - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- 15 Best Home Decor Ideas For Fall - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Here Are The Interior Design Trends Going Away In 2021 ›
- Top Home Decor Trends for 2021 - Best 2021 Living Room Ideas ›
- Top Home Decor Trends for 2021, According to the Experts | Real ... ›
- 2021 interior-design trends: What's going out and what will be popular ›
- 15+ Home Decor Trends for 2021 - What Are the Decorating Trends ... ›
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at email@example.com. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy