Whether sparking one up is a guilty pleasure of yours or you are loud and proud with it, the cannabis industry is skyrocketing!
As multiple states legalize weed and the industry experiences a boom of CBD Hemp healing, sales, and usage, it's safe to say that this industry is a shoo-in for profit where WOC can cash in. And they can do so all while making a difference in reversing the effects of the "War on Drugs," eradicating the stigma of cannabis use, and incorporating marijuana into spirituality, creativity, and alternative or holistic healing.
I had a sit down with ganja veteran Khadijah Adams in the cannabis industry who is the vice president and COO of C.E. Hutton, a business development company seeking to help minority-led cannabis businesses. Underneath C.E. Hutton, Khadijah also offers a line of exclusive cannabis products through CBD Well 101. She has been a pioneer for black and brown women looking to tap into the industry, sitting on the board of the National Cannabis Chamber of Commerce, the Executive Committee of the Minority Business Council (MBC) of the National Cannabis Industry Association. (NCIA)
Read on for details about Khadijah's journey, the cannabis business basics, as well as a few other millennial WOC who are legally jumping on the bandwagon and turning marijuana into money. You never know, this may spark up a few cannabis entrepreneurial ideas of your own!
How She Overcame Fear and Took A Leap of Faith Into The Legal Cannabis Industry:
"When Colorado announced they were legalizing cannabis for recreational consumption, I sent a blast text message to over 200+ people informing them that 'everything must go.' The message was well received by some and refused by others and honestly, I didn't care one bit. My only concern was that I had the support of my four sons, two of whom are Christian Ministers in Texas. They didn't like the idea of me leaving Sugar Land, Texas to enter an illegal industry, and especially moving to a state that is only 8% African American. Surprisingly, they were very supportive! So, I proceeded to sell everything in my house at a garage sale; except for my car, clothes, cell, and computer. And on March 14, 2014, I drove to Colorado, and positioned in the industry almost immediately through collaborations and making the right connections."
Why Women of Color Should Cash Into The Cannabis Game:
"This is a newly statewide legal industry and 29 states out of 50 have legalized for recreational or medicinal consumption. That in itself reeks of 'opportunity' and many women of color are transitioning from corporate America, or are transitioning their current companies into the cannabis space because the opportunity is much bigger here than in traditional industries. Also, we are natural nurturers, and our first instinct is to help people. Whole plant medicine and CBDs are helping people."
How The Legal Cannabis Industry Can Be As A Tool To In Black and Brown Communities:
"As people of color, we have been systematically plagued with the stigma of marijuana; we have been beaten, killed, and imprisoned for over 80+ years because of lies, greed, and blatant discrimination. This industry was built on our backs and is now being legalized across America and dominated by many who have not suffered one bit from the 'War on Drugs,' and by some who laugh about their one-time overnight jail time and small slap on the wrist. While most people of color are still scared to enter this industry, the ones who are in the industry are still fighting for inclusion.
"As people of color, we should want to learn more about this industry, re-educate ourselves with the truth about cannabis and help to dispel the lies and hatred surrounding our community, as it relates to the stigma that's been created. Most importantly, we should want to position ourselves in this industry, aim for creating generational wealth for our families, with hopes of one day restoring our communities."
Obstacles To Overcome as WOC in The Legal Cannabis Industry:
"Access and capital are two of the main difficulties for WOC looking to gain entry into this industry. Many people of color are looking to connect to the right people to help them position, and in most cases, people who look like us. Truth is, many of us don't have the necessary capital to support our dreams or ideas. For most who have positioned in this industry, find it hard to obtain the capital needed to expand."
Her Greatest Accomplishment:
"My biggest accomplishments in the industry was selling my previous company, MIPR Holdings, LLC. My ultimate goal is to help a lot of people look and feel better with whole plant medicine and CBDS while also creating generational wealth and helping others do the same."
What She Smokes:
"I'm a Sativa lover with a very high tolerance. I combine Trainwreck, Lavender Jones, and Lemon Skunk. I call it a 'fruit bowl of love.'"
Her Advice To Newbies:
- Learn the medical and/or adult use laws in your home state.
- Get involved with your local cannabis advocates and activists in your community, such as Marijuana Policy Project, NORML, and the NCIA, etc.
- Connect to leaders with proven track records in this industry to help mentor you, then listen to them when they give advice. Let your final decision be the one that you make.
- Connect with positive people who will encourage you and hold you accountable.
- Learn as much as possible about the field you intend on entering, and volunteer at as many events surrounding your field, as much as you can, because on the job training is the actual education!
For more inspiration for getting involved in the cannabis industry, follow these 5 millennial WOC killing it in the weed game!
1.Mary Pryor, @Cannaclusive
Women's Freedom Conference
Mary Pryor is an alternative healer, and a co-founder of Cannaclusive, which was established to facilitate fair representation of minority cannabis consumers. Her company celebrates the cultures of the thriving cannabis community, by curating experiences, groundbreaking insights, thoughtful content and dynamic visuals; making it easier for brands to communicate with diverse audiences and rally in the fight for legalization and de-stigmatization of marijuana.
Featured photo by Joy Victoria Clarke/Mahogany Mary
Fontaine Felisha Foxworth is a writer and creative entrepreneur from Brooklyn New York. She is currently on the West Coast working on creating a TV Pilot called "Finding Fontaine", that details the nomadic journey of her life so far. Keep up with her shenanigans @famoustaine on IG.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
The Libra woman and Aries man are the divine feminine and divine masculine, coming together as one. The love compatibility between these two is one for the books. These two are opposite signs, however, their differences tend to complement each other well. This is a dynamic relationship where they know how to have a lot of fun together, but also aren’t afraid to deal with the more serious stuff that comes with a relationship.
The Libra woman is looking for her equal in love, someone who is willing to put in the same effort she is, and the Aries man sees Libra as someone he is willing to do that with.
The Love Compatibility Of A Libra Woman And An Aries Man
What attracts a Libra woman and an Aries man to each other?
There is a magnet of attraction pulling these two together, and things tend to move pretty fast in this relationship. The Libra woman is always open to love and her charming nature rarely has any challenges here. The Aries man fights for his independence and doesn’t sacrifice that unless he is completely enamored with someone.
Once the Aries man catches the eye of the Libra woman, he is typically the one to make the first move and this instantly wins the approval of Libra.
These two feel like they have known each other forever when they meet, and this spark between them doesn’t die down easily.
Hero Images Inc/Getty Images
What is the relationship like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The relationship between the Libra woman and the Aries man is one of balance and excitement. The Aries man tends to take on the more dominant role in this relationship and the Libra woman tends to be the more receptive one. Aries is ruled by masculine Mars, and Libra is ruled by feminine Venus. They understand they are coming from two completely different worlds, yet they also instinctively feel this underlying connection to each other and like they could be something each other needs in their lives.
The Libra woman can rely on the Aries man, and the Aries man never has to ask for the love that Libra already knows he needs.
This is a couple that is often reading each other’s minds and wanting to do a lot of the same things. However, not everything is rainbow in this relationship as well, and there are some major differences they have to overcome to make things work. One argument can lead to an explosion between these two, and addressing things when they come up rather than sweeping them under the rug, will be needed to make this relationship long-term.
What is the sex like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The sex between a Libra woman and an Aries man is adventurous. These are two cardinal signs with plenty of energy and stamina to keep things exciting in the bedroom. There tends to be a good give and take in this relationship, and their yin and yang energy benefits them when it comes to their sex life.
There is electricity felt between the two of them in this area of their life, and their power of attraction to each other is strong. These are two people who will want to do a lot of things together, including exploring sexually together.
The Aries man will have to be careful with being overly aggressive, however, as the soft Libra woman may not like this energy- it will completely depend on the two individuals at hand. The Libra woman wants to ease into things, the Aries man wants to get going right away. Learning about each other's bodies, and energy, and reading each other’s cues will help with this.
Petri Oeschger/Getty Images
What makes a relationship between a Libra woman and an Aries man work?
These two genuinely like each other, and that basis is a key factor for success in any relationship. The Aries man is straight to the point, direct, and inspired. The Libra woman admires these characteristics in others, as she is often herself finding her balance in this type of energy as well. Neither sign is overly emotional in a way that turns them off, and they both require a lot of the same things in a committed relationship. They want honesty, fun, good communication, passion, and to be moving towards a common goal together.
The Libra woman and Aries man don’t have a problem being real with each other and this is something they really value within the relationship. They are both very charming, and there is plenty of flirtation and attraction to keep this relationship going. Aries being the protector they are, Libra finds a sense of safety and ease in this energy, and like they have found their match. Overall, this is a well-balanced relationship and one where they don’t have a problem when it comes to compatibility or chemistry in the relationship.
What may cause a Libra woman and an Aries man to break up?
Libra is the lover, Aries is the fighter, and this energy may be tiring for the both of them after time. The Libra woman can be passive to a fault, and the Aries man who is not evolved, may take advantage of that. She will need to be careful with putting Aries’ needs above her own, creating resentment later down the road. The Aries man loves a challenge, and the Libra woman would be up for that game for a little bit, but if she is not being met in the middle, she will begin to look for other places. These two can have a difficult time keeping the peace in the relationship, and there could be a lot of arguments and disagreements here if they both aren’t willing to put their egos or self-pleasing attitudes to the side.
The Libra woman and Aries man are both more sensitive than they appear or come off as. They are also not necessarily the type to dive deep into their emotions and express them to others, even in their relationships. However, this energy can keep the relationship to a surface level than what is needed to progress and grow the relationship, and a sense of openness is required for this couple to work. Libra needs romance, she wants to be wowed. Aries needs to remember this and to always consider her love language.
Overall, this is a successful pairing. They will have their fair share of challenges in the relationship, but nothing they can’t overcome if they are willing to. The trouble will come in when it comes to the longevity of the relationship, keeping Aries excited and Libra in love. However, all in all, there is more power, attraction, and love to keep this relationship together rather than apart. No relationship is perfect, but this one is a little more blessed than most.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Weekend Images Inc./Getty Images