Are you the one who's considered to be the "trendy one" in your family or tribe? If so and you're planning on doing a little bit of hosting this holiday season, I thought it would be cool to share with you some of the foods that are going to be super popular, come — what in the world is going on with time?! — 2022. That way, as you're serving up drinks and/or dishes and folks are asking you where the inspiration came from, you can tell them that you already know what's gonna be big next year and you wanted to put them up on game. Ready?
It actually doesn't surprise me that turmeric tops the list of food trends for next year. I mean, it's already a spice that's really popular (especially in traditional Indian dishes) and it's got a great reputation for being super beneficial, health-wise, thanks to the active ingredient curcumin that's in it. As far as benefits go, turmeric is good for you because it contains non-inflammatory properties, it's loaded with antioxidants, and it even has the reputation for reducing depression-related symptoms.
From personal experience, I'll just say that because turmeric also tends to be a natural blood thinner, be careful about constantly taking it as a supplement. I used to until I connected it to why the amount of blood that I was losing during my period had increased, significantly so. Still, if you want to use it to prepare some dishes, it's definitely a spice that you want to have in your medicine cabinet.
Turmeric Recipe: Turmeric Chicken and Rice
What many vegan alternatives are to meat, that's basically what mocktails are to cocktails because I'm pretty sure you know that they are cocktail-style drinks that are "zero-proof" (which means they have no alcohol in them). While some of you may be reading this and thinking, "Hell, what fun is in that?" because there are so many varieties when it comes to mocktails, they can be highly enjoyable if you want something cocktail-ish in the middle of the day or you want to start off happy hour with a couple of them, so that you won't go overboard on the "real" stuff.
Mocktail Recipe: Mango Mule Mocktail
3. Potato Milk
It seems like every day, there is some sort of new milk alternative. While I'm personally an oat milk gal myself (I used to be all about almond milk until I found out that the preparation process isn't the best for the environment), I am intrigued enough about potato milk that I just might give it a shot.
One of the main reasons why it's caught my attention is because potato milk is high in two vitamins that a lot of us Black women are sometimes low in — vitamins B12 and D. Since it's also a good source of vitamins A, C, and E, along with calcium and iron, plus it's sustainable and environmentally friendly, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot, right?
By the way, word on the street is it's not available in stores in the United States but it is fairly easy to make at home.
DIY Potato Milk Recipe: Here
OK, so this point is interesting. If you didn't know, there are five basic tastes — sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and savory. Well, umami is another word (a Japanese one) for tastes that fall into the savory category. Some foods that come to mind are broths, cooked meats, aged cheeses, seafood, and mushrooms. So, if aromatic-spicy stuff is naturally your thing, 2022 is definitely gonna be your year.
Savory Recipe: Chicken Potpie Galette with Cheddar-Thyme Crust
Moringa is a plant that grows in India and also in tropical and subtropical places. Its nicknames are "miracle tree" and "drumstick tree" and it comes with an impressive amount of health benefits including the fact that it's a good source of vitamins A, B, C, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, and zinc. When it comes to protecting your liver, strengthening your hair and skin, speeding up the healing process of wounds, lowering your blood sugar levels, and even treating asthma-related symptoms, moringa has you covered. Oh, and if you're wondering what in the world it tastes like, matcha is probably the best comparison.
Moringa Recipe: Vegan Moringa Oatmeal
6. Sunflower Seeds
Ice cream that has sunflower seed oil in it. Sunflower seed butter. Chocolate-covered sunflower seeds. Chile, as far as trendy seeds next year go, sunflower seeds will definitely be topping the list. It's good to know since they contain Vitamin E, plant compounds, protein, and fatty acids. Plus, sunflower seeds can help to fight inflammation and lower blood sugar levels. All solid reasons to add sunflower seeds to your healthy snacks list (if you haven't already).
Sunflower Seeds Recipe: Collard Greens Salad with Ginger and Spicy Seed Brittle
7. CBD-Infused Peanut Butter
With all of the buzz surrounding cannabis, in general, I'm thinking you probably know that there is THC (the main psychoactive cannabinoid in weed that makes you feel "high") and there is CBD (another chemical compound in weed although it isn't psychoactive). The reason why CBD continues to grow in popularity is that it's able to do everything from relieving pain and reducing anxiety to decreasing many cancer-related symptoms and strengthening your circulatory system.
While I would've never thought to pair it with peanut butter, since peanut butter is a good source of Vitamin E, iron, protein, fiber, copper, magnesium, and niacin, I can see why someone would have experimented with it and liked the end results. Anyway, this will be something else to look out for in 2022. From what I've read, it's also a really big thing for dogs; a company that carries it for them is Honest Paws.
DIY CBD-Infused Peanut Butter Recipe: Here
Basically, hibiscus is a flowering plant with a tart taste that is most popular in tea form. And yes, it will be a huge food trend next year as well. Health benefits-wise, hibiscus contains antioxidants that help to fight off free radicals, it's able to lower your blood pressure, it can help to increase your liver's level of health, it assists with removing harmful bacteria from your system and it contains cancer-fighting compounds. And again, while hibiscus is best-known for how it is used in beverages, 2022 is probably going to be the year when you see it prepared in all sorts of different ways.
Hibiscus Recipe: Hibiscus Flower Quesadillas
This one isn't exactly a food — it's more like a cooking style. Omakase is a Japanese phrase that can be said in restaurants when what you mean to convey to the chef is "I'll leave it up to you." And while you might wonder why in the heck you would do that if you're at a favorite restaurant or you're going to one that is highly recommended, you want to specialize in a dish, yet you're not exactly sure what you want to go in it "omakase" can be the way to go. For obvious reasons (I'm thinking), this goes over best at sushi restaurants; however, if you apply this method elsewhere, you could be in for a pleasant surprise.
Check Out MasterClass's "Omakase Guide: 5 Things to Know Before Trying Omakase"
10. Childhood Favorites
Finally, nostalgia is also going to be big in 2022. Basically, any food that takes you back to your childhood days is something that you will probably have an easier time finding whether it's a certain kind of candy, cereal, drink, or anything else. So, if you want to take your taste buds down a memory lane stroll, next year would be the time to do it. Enjoy!
Where to Buy Vintage Candy: Old Time Candy
Featured image by Getty Images
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at email@example.com. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Watching Angela “Blac Chyna” White’s transformation in real-time has truly been a sight to see. It wasn’t that long ago that she announced that she was reversing her cosmetic surgeries in an effort to go back to who she was before the world came to know her as Blac Chyna. In previous interviews, she stated that she was dissolving her facial and lip fillers, removing her breast implants, and getting a butt reduction, as well as removing the dimple piercings that enhanced her fame and controversial tattoos.
In a recent Tamron Hall interview, the mother of two said that she has “fully recovered” from the procedures. She is also celebrating one year of sobriety and opened up about being worried about how her new journey would be received by others.
“I’ve been in the entertainment industry for so long, right, and of course, like, you know, coming out, I’m like young, I’m gonna do wild things as we all have,” she said.
“...I feel like by me being vocal and showing everybody you can change your life and things can get better, like through myself, that right there is an accomplishment, and that’s a part of freedom, too.”
But as she started on her journey, many people have shown her grace, which is something she’s grateful for. “And then the fact that people have been showing me grace, it’s like amazing,” she said. “And I feel like when I did it, I just did it. It was more so like spiritual thing and I feel like people see that, and I’ve always been like my authentic self, so what you see is kinda what you get with me, and that’s just kinda what it is.”
Chyna, who recently received an honorary doctorate from Sacramento Theology Seminary and Bible College, has also repaired her relationship with her mom, Tokyo Toni. The social media celebrity surprised her daughter on the Tamron Hall Show. Prior to the sentimental surprise, Chyna dished on the reconciliation and having a better understanding of her mom.
“I must say, some of the things I have to take accountability for because, like my actions. As a mother, you don’t want to see your daughter doing certain things ‘cause it’s like it doesn’t matter what my past was or what we’re going through, I didn’t raise you that way,” she admitted. “So, it’s like, okay, maybe I was a little bit wrong. Maybe I was acting out a little bit. But I feel like as we grow older, I kinda see more, and I understand more.”
Chyna will be starring in season two of Fox's reality competition show Special Forces: World's Toughest Test.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images