You kept your New Year’s promise to hit the gym.
Water bottle in hand, wearing your old sneakers with the worn-out color, the freebie T-shirt you got from your favorite radio station’s promo tour, and black $5 tights. Your confidence is high and the thought ‘I did it, I’m in the gym’ enters your mind as you walk out of the locker room onto the main floor that greets you with the scent of bleach and the feeling of determination.
As you make your way to the treadmill, you observe the floor. The men are all in their mirrored corners lifting weights, the Yogi’s are heading toward their next yoga class, and the mature adults are riding the seated recumbent bikes. As you get closer to the treadmills, you begin to second-guess your workout attire. Your confidence begins to waver step by step.
On the treadmill boulevard, there is nothing but a barrage of colors and patterns. From bright neons to sexy leopards, those who grace the treadmills look more like models on an urban catwalk rather than a gym. Already sporting a coke-bottle shape with full-figured hips, high butts, and miniature waists, one begins to wonder if they are there to work out or to style on you. If you don’t believe us, just take a look at all their Instagrams.
The world of fitness is far from the days of old gym sneakers. On any given day, you can scroll the explorer section of IG, and see a hoard of images of women at the gym in fashionable leggings, bra tops, booty shorts and even in some cases, posted up with some weights in a thong.
So we at xoNecole want to know if women feel pressured to look sexy at the gym.
We asked 9 women who regularly get their workout on if looking sexy was important to them and here are their responses:
“I don't feel pressured to ‘dress’ sexy. To me, 'sexy' is being confident in whatever you are wearing. Sexy is seeing the results of working hard. When it comes to working out, it's about comfortability over anything else. I am not a workout guru that goes to the gym religiously. I dance A LOT. So that is mostly my workout and in rehearsals, I wear Ivy Park because it is stylish and very comfortable.”
Saidah N., @Saidahnairobi, International Dancer for Beyonce's I Am... and Formation World Tours
“In the beginning of my transformation, I didn't want to feel sexy. I didn't want to look sexy and I didn't want to attract any attention at all because I was at the gym to work out and go hard, for me. I wanted to see if this time I was actually going to accomplish the goals that I have set for myself. It's already a mental battle, I just needed my physical to follow the mental when I said ‘GO’! Yet, I did notice the more fit I got, the more I wanted my outfits to match and I cared about what I was wearing. But it wasn't to look sexy, but to feel good. It wasn't for anybody else, it was for me. So, it depends upon your definition of ‘sexy’. Showing too much skin - that's not sexy, that's being revealing.”
Toshamakia A., @ToshaMakia, Radio Personality at 102 Jamz in Greensboro, NC
“Not only do I NOT feel pressured to look sexy at the gym, I don't feel pressured to do anything. Now that I am 40, I realize that I've wasted too much time caring about things that just ain't going to make a difference in anything, anyway. Bottom line is if I'm feeling myself and decide to get sexy and go to the gym, then I'll be sexy at the gym that day. But if I don't and I just throw on some old rags and get my workout on, then I'll be in the gym that day looking raggedy. To me, ‘sexy’ is more of an attitude than a look, and feeling confident about who you are regardless of whether others like or approve of it is the sexiest thing EVER!”
Samiyyah S., @experienceanasa, Business Owner
“Honestly, when I go to the gym I am a good in-between. Definitely not sexy, but definitely not a mess. I wear a slicked-back ponytail and a tank with workout pants. I feel as though if I get too sexy, I will be more worried about keeping up with my appearance than working out. It makes me feel good to get a good workout because I know my end goal. I usually go to the gym late because I find that it is less distracting.”
Raven R., @robinsonandco, Publicist
“After losing 100 pounds, I have completely changed the way that I dress at the gym. Initially, I wore loose fitting, oversized t-shirts and shorts or pants. I did not care about the brand or how it looked and sometimes I didn’t even care if it matched. I vividly remember a point during my weightloss journey where I told my best friend that I didn’t want to go to a particular gym because it was just a ‘fashion show’ and everyone was just ‘trying to be seen’. Looking back, I think I was just so insecure in myself that I didn’t want to be around these super-fit women in spandex. Nowadays, you can catch me brand-whoring in the gym, covering only my private parts, because everyone’s going to see this body I worked for!”
Cookie M., @CookieMiller, Certified Personal Trainer
“I have been on a fitness journey for about 6 years and, in the beginning, my gym clothes were super boring, but once I changed my lifestyle completely and started rewarding myself with workout clothes instead of food, I saw a big change in my gear and desire to want to workout! I don't feel pressured to dress sexy at the gym but I feel motivated because once upon a time I never wore my sports bra without a top over it, and now that's the only way I workout! I think dressing nice at the gym gives you that extra PUSH you need to start and remain healthy! I lost 100 pounds naturally and want people to see that the struggle is real and worth it!”
Donesha B., @Training4MyLife, Educator in the ATL
“I always wear form-fitting clothes to work out at the gym, tight-fitting tanks and leggings or shorts. This is not to be sexy, but to be able to check that my form is on point with each exercise. You can't do that in a baggy shirt and loose sweats. I feel empowered seeing myself lifting with perfect form in the gym mirrors. If people think I'm sexy, that is just a happy byproduct.”
Danielle F., @thedanifaust, Lifestyle Blogger
“I've always been shy of a lot of unwarranted body attention because I got these curves at a pretty young age, so I do intentionally play it down at the gym. I do like to shower right before the gym and add a light layer of mascara so I'm not the walking dead. That's pretty much the best it gets. I live in a very ‘young community’ and everyone in my neighborhood looks good. I purposely chose a family gym to alleviate myself of all responsibilities of having to look like ‘anything’ while working out. I like to look messy - I feel like I go harder. I wear leggings, although I do have a strict stretch/firm requirement. All my workout shirts were once "real" shirts that are just past their prime. I cut off the sleeves and I'm headed to the gym. My sports bras aren't that cute because I have big boobs so there's only a certain amount of cuteness available past a D cup. Also, I'm pretty curvy, so anytime you add spandex to that it instantly turns into a music video look.”
Janelle C., @icurenudity, Costume Designer
"When I go to the gym, I dress as if I'm going to put in work. I'm comfortable and covered, not dressy but surely not messy! My brows are filled to perfection just so I can feel some sense of pride when I see the look of exhaustion come across my face. At least I can say, ‘You cute, tho!’ I have to make sure all of my rolls and waves are covered up nicely because sweating already isn't a pretty sight! I wear an old pair of Nikes, sweats, and a tee. Just when I get in my groove, a skinny chick comes in wearing a matching Nike ensemble and turns the treadmill up to a 20 incline, and I immediately want to eat a Snickers. Other than that, I feel quite alright. The gym is my place to better me, not for others to get a better view of me."
Maleeka H., @officialmaleeka, Author
Do you feel pressured to look sexy in the gym? Share your thoughts below. No matter your style, we wish you good health and wealth in the New Year!
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy