Since the dawn of time, animal prints have been a reigning force all over the world. Once worn as a means of survival, these looks were eventually adapted by the masses thanks to the fashion industry both on and off the runway. From clothing to accessories, prints such as leopard spots, zebra and tiger stripes have been dominant choices when going for a fierce addition to any look. Today, clothing trends continue to evolve as those once-beloved materials are quickly being replaced by a new generation of artistic self-expression.
Becoming the latest patterns of choice, abstract art in the form of geometric shapes, swirls, and optical effects has become the new reign of impressive prints trending in 2022. After two years of solid neutrals, designers are having fun once again and I can’t get enough of these fresh whimsical feels. Broadening my range of wardrobe this year, I decided to get in on the fun and brighten up my looks with colorful statement pieces boldly going where I’ve never gone before. Check out the patterns and prints I’m currently obsessed with below.
As one who doesn't wear many skirts in my day-to-day looks, I absolutely couldn’t pass on this multi-colored geometric print midi. With its 3D pattern giving its best impression of an optical illusion while gracefully forming every curve, I was immediately impressed with the contrasting hues when initially laying eyes on this piece.
Going for a casual approach, I decided to wear an asymmetrical one-shoulder ribbed knit along with an oversized blazer and patent leather boots. Perfect for a winter weekend look, this skirt is extremely versatile with the ability to transition from season to season.
In the Abstract
These days when it comes to prints, I love plenty of drama. This knitted swirl patterned slip dress is the perfect day-to-night look when paired with a white boot and matching blue blazer. Not to be too conservative, the cut-out back gives this design an unexpected pop to this cozy maxi.
Not to be fully replaced, zebra print hasn't fully gone away just yet. With an updated approach, this classic look has gotten a bit of a 2022 makeover. Wearing this black and blue zebra swirl top along with wide-leg denim jeans, I couldn't help but give this look a pop of pink courtesy of Brandon Blackwood and strappy heeled sandals to complete this look.
Featured image by Shahirah Ahmed/xoNecole
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
What's a classic manicure look getting a fall 2023 aesthetic update? Look no further than the micro-French nails that are trending this fall. Minimal nail art ideas are in, and the super thin lines within the micro-French nail trend scream minimal chic when it comes to nail design choice.
If you're wondering exactly what to request from your nail tech, according to Cosmopolitan, there's been "a rise in micro-French manis on square nail shapes." And if you are in need of a little nail inspo to bookmark for your next appointment, we have you covered on that front, too.
Keep scrolling for design ideas for your future set of micro-French nails.
Micro-French Nail Art Ideas
Micro-French Fall Nails
Minimal Nail Art Designs for Fall
Fall Micro-French Nails
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Tatsiana Volkava/Getty Images