A few days ago, while hanging out with one of my favorite people, she said to me, "Ooo, I love your eyeshadow." Here's what's cool about what she said—I didn't have any on. I can't even remember the last time I've worn eyeshadow. When I told her that and she said, "Your eyelids have a natural golden glow to them", I know I was grinning from ear to ear because that means all of the water, witch hazel (which I'll get into in just a sec), and sweet almond oil is truly paying off. How cool. How very cool.
That got me to thinking about a few all-natural beauty trends that I will be incorporating throughout 2019 and beyond. Whether you like a bare face like I do, you prefer to switch up between a naked face and a full face of make-up, or you want to know some ways to care for your skin underneath your glam face, there are gonna be at least 3-4 things on here that you will totally fall in love with. I'm willing to bet my annual lipstick and lip gloss budget on it (and that's really saying something)!
I already know that some of you read that word and was like, "What the heck is that?!" It's kind of a long story, but the short of it is bakuchiol is a meroterpene (chemical compound) that mimics retinol (a Vitamin A based drug that treats fine lines and slows down the appearance of aging). Thanks to it being plant-based, it's a whole lot gentler with fewer side effects than retinol has.
Although it's not guaranteed that bakuchiol will work super-effectively for everyone, if you have super-sensitive skin (especially), it's worth giving a shot. As far as where to buy it, Sephora carries products with bakuchiol in them. However, it's not the cheapest stuff on the planet, so you might want to opt to cop some Whish cosmetics with bakuchiol in it on eBay.
A few years back, teenagers were dyeing their hair grey and silver on purpose. This year, natural grey is totally what's in. So, if you've been noticing a couple of grey hairs popping up and you're tempted to color them, consider letting them shine through instead. You can do this by purchasing shampoos and conditioners that are specifically-designed for grey tresses, wearing neutral-colored clothing more often and rockin' a really dope haircut. Something that is modern and super striking.
By the way, there's an actual scripture that celebrates grey hair—"The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, if it is found in the way of righteousness." (Proverbs 16:31—NKJV) See, you've even got the good book's stamp of approval to let your natural glory shine through. Let it.
3.Oil as Mascara
Although I personally don't wear a ton of make-up, something that I don't go without is mascara. I try and stay on top of the fact that if I don't get a fresh tube every 2-3 months, not only does it become a breeding ground for bacteria, it also can inhibit the growth of my eyelashes over time.
An alternative? Using oil on my lashes instead. Castor and olive oil work really well. So does petroleum jelly, Vitamin E and Shea Butter. They all have less chemicals in them and can help all of our lashes to grow as they also help to make them appear longer and fuller every time we use them. (FYI—with all of these options, less is more. Otherwise, you could get oil in your eyes.)
Jaiz Anuar / Shutterstock.com
Something else that is a current beauty trend liquid exfoliants. Something that's a natural form of one is witch hazel. When it comes to achieving beautiful skin, there aren't too many things that are more effective and affordable than witch hazel.
It's an awesome toner, helps to speed the healing process of breakouts, contains tannins that slow down the aging process, and even aids in treating the inflammation and flare-ups associate with psoriasis and eczema. It's also great for getting rid of any cold sores that you might have along your lip line too.
There's nothing like a bit of color to make your skin look youthful and glowing. Something that can give your cheeks, lips, and even eyelids (if you want) a pop of pink or bronze is DIY stain. It's not as hard to make as you might think either.
If you want a pink color, mix two teaspoons of rose mica powder with kaolin clay and a half-teaspoon of shea butter. If you'd prefer a sun-kissed look, go with some 2 ½ teaspoons of cocoa powder, three-fourths of a teaspoon of rose mica powder and 2 ½ teaspoons of shea butter. Mix everything together and apply. You'll achieve beautiful results sans any of the chemicals that are in commercialized stains.
(Plus, if you store your DIY stains in ounce tins, their shelf-life will be 12-14 months!)
I'm totally digging the fact that the kind of eyebrows that look like they are on their last leg are a thing of the past (at least for now). These days, the thicker and more natural your brows appear to be, the better! If you need to grow your eyebrows out, one way to do that is to apply some Jamaican Black Castor Oil on them at night. And, if you want to keep them tame during the day, some clear eyebrow gel will do that for you.
There are some eyebrow gels that you can purchase at cosmetic counters, but how about you save yourself some money and gas by putting a pea-size amount of Aloe Vera gel on an eyebrow brush and gently brushing your brows in the direction that they naturally grow? The gel will keep them in place while nourishing them all day long.
I'm pretty sure you don't feel like a science class right now, so I'll be brief in the breakdown of what CBD oil is. It stands for Cannabidiol and its one of the 104 chemical compounds that's found in cannabis. While Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is responsible for marijuana making us feel high, CBD is not. It still has some great benefits thought and is usually added to a carrier oil like coconut, avocado, grapeseed or hemp seed oil.
Why is CBD oil currently all the rage? Aside from reducing pain, relieving anxiety, and even combating certain symptoms that are cancer-related, it's also the kind of oil that slows down the over-production of sebum in skin while healing a lot of the inflammation that's associated with pimples.
Now here's the bad news. You can only use this oil in the states where medical marijuana is legal. But since that's currently 32 states (with more on the way, I'm sure), chances are, you're living someplace where you can get your fill.
8.Fades with Designs
When I read about this particular all-natural trend, I couldn't help but reminisce back to the days when I rocked a fade. There really is nothing like getting a fresh cut, going to bed, waking up and needing to do nothing to your hair but run a brush through it. It cuts down the morning routine by at least 15 minutes!
So, if you've been thinking about undergoing the Big Chop in a very major way, there's no time like 2019 to do it. Take it to the next level by getting some bold artistic designs into it too. You won't just by fly as all get out—you'll be super on-trend too!
Featured image by Getty Images.
Black-Owned Beauty Brands That Were So Good We're Taking Them Into 2019 - Read More
11 Of Our Favorite Black-Owned Holy Grail Beauty Finds - Read More
The 10 Best Over-The-Counter & Natural Makeup Removers - Read More
- How The Cut Life's Tahira Wright Turned Her Online Presence Into A ... ›
- Check Out These Natural Ways To Get Thicker Eyelashes & Eyebrows - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Natural Beauty Trends That Will Be Big In 2020 - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- 7 beauty trends that have us excited for 2018 | TreeHugger ›
- Spring Summer 2018 hair and makeup trends ›
- “Natural” beauty products are huge now because of a fear of ... ›
- J-Beauty: All the Japanese Beauty Trends I Saw in Tokyo - Allure ›
- What's Driving The Billion-Dollar Natural Beauty Movement? ›
- Biggest Beauty Trends 2018 | British Vogue ›
- 13 Trends Shaping the Face of Beauty in 2018 ›
- 10 big beauty trends for 2018 - New beauty industry trends ›
- News Flash: These Are The Natural Beauty Trends You Need To ... ›
- The Biggest Trends In The Beauty Industry ›
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at email@example.com. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy