There's nothing wrong with having 21 inches of glory flowing in the wind, but, as Coco Chanel is infamously quoted as saying, "A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life."
Stars from Halle Berry to Toni Braxton to Kelis, have changed their lives---and the beauty game---with short manes that made them stand out from the crowd of long diva-weaves of their day. And we all know what a big chop signifies for some women seeking to embrace their natural curls and tap into their own versions of transitions into self-love.
The need for change and expression through a unique creative outlet was no different for Tahira Wright, who founded The Cut Life, celebrating short hair when long weaves and lace fronts seemed to dominate the social media beauty scene. She was then able to turn an online visual playground of buzz cuts, tapered bobs, curly pixies and mohawks into a fab tribe of its own and a full-fledged business.
"The idea for The Cut Life was birthed in 2013 based on my personal love of having short hair and seeing little to no sources of inspiration online," Tahira told xoNecole in an exclusive interview. "At the time, I was a publicist in the music and entertainment industry in search of my next entrepreneurial endeavor. The Cut Life was honestly [something] that quickly turned into a business, and here we are five years later!"
Since launching on social, amassing 1.3 million followers on IG alone, Tahira and The Cut Life have expanded into a multimedia powerhouse, partnering with Creme of Nature, Dark & Lovely, Carol's Daughter, Design Essentials, Procter & Gamble's My Black Is Beautiful, and more for lucrative campaigns. There's also a podcast where they talk to experts and professionals on industry trends, hair care, career advancement, and style inspiration. They've hosted curated events for tribes of women who love a good short cut, and they continue to expand their video content and following via YouTube, featuring candid chats with celebrities including Nicole Murphy and how-tos with seasoned stylists.
"We're continuing to create quality content and increase opportunities for new revenue streams through our podcast, events, and webinars," Tahira said. "Short hair is trending a lot lately with celebrities that I almost can't keep count. A few of my recent favorites are Teyana Taylor's pixie, Sanaa Lathan's big chop, Niki Murphy is one of the baddest, Lupita's natural tresses, and I still stan for Kelis, Monica, and Jada Pinkett Smith! There's so many!"
Wright has had her own personal hair journey with styles that have been partners in the transitions of her own life. "One of my most memorable experiences was getting blonde highlights in college that completely destroyed my hair. I was used to wearing my hair long but there was no doubt I would have to cut it," she recalled. "My first short haircut was the Halle Berry flip gone wrong, and I hated it. I grew my hair back long and wore it that way for a while until the emergence of Rihanna's 'Good Girl Gone Bad' era. Ursula Stephen, who I adore and who has been featured on our podcast, transformed Rihanna's image with a cut, and it inspired me to cut my hair again. I found a haircut that I absolutely loved and never looked back."
For Wright, short hair represents making a powerful statement with a style that is both versatile and diverse. "The right cut gave me this boost of confidence and sexiness I hadn't experienced before," she added. "To this day, my hair is often a head-turner and a topic of conversation because short hair is still considered going against the norm."
Tahira has a point. Many of us still face a huge level of scrutiny and awe when it comes to making any sorts of changes to our hair, whether it's wearing your natural curls a la Michelle Obama on vacay, shaving it all off in a chic baldie a la Tamar Braxton, or even cutting the style of which many have defined you, like Nia the Light. Some even shun hair transitions---particularly cuts---citing the usual "crowning glory" adages.
Tahira says there's confidence, individuality, and freedom that comes with rocking a short 'do. "Women, especially black women, love changing their hair often and our site offers a variety of quality content to serve many lifestyles. Many women are on the fence about cutting their hair but we're here to serve as a positive inspiration for people to try something new."
With The Cut Life, Tahira and her team are also showing themselves to be major disruptors, showcasing a community of master cutters and hairstylists and offering a new outlet for up-and-comers and experts alike. She urges other young women who seek to shake up the beauty industry and those who want to monetize their digital platforms to do their research and continue honing their crafts.
"Being of service is the best way to learn the ins and outs of any industry to determine which area is the best fit," Tahira recommended. "Research the current trends in the market and identify a void that needs to be filled. There's no overnight success. Entrepreneurship isn't for the weak and takes a daily commitment to the grind, lessons learned from failures, financial downfalls, and setbacks before you reach a level of success. Lastly, find the joy in the journey. We're always so consumed about the next level that we don't celebrate the daily wins. Taking one step towards your goals each day is still a move forward."
"Entrepreneurship isn't for the weak and takes a daily commitment to the grind, lessons learned from failures, financial downfalls, and setbacks before you reach a level of success."
With so many opportunities coming her way, Tahira says taking the time to determine a good fit, having a great team, and being smart with the coin goes a long way to helping sustain success.
"I've learned that the best collaborations come from working with people who are experts in areas where you fall short. Maya Table is our creative director and is completely skilled in her lane, which helps us to not bump heads and effectively grow the business," Tahira said. "[Also, you have to] be financially responsible. Learn how to make money, save money, and spend money wisely. This is an ongoing process for me, but I've become much more intentional about being financially sound and having attainable financial goals."
Also, focusing on passion and embracing your unique style doesn't hurt either. Tahira has been able to fill a void and cater to a niche audience simply by tapping into her true self and promoting something dear to her heart. "I love the fact that my short hair makes me stand out in a crowd. I'm constantly switching it up and it makes me less worried about what's considered the 'beauty standard' and more focused on what I like and what makes me feel like my best self. Confidence starts from within and how you love and take care of yourself first."
"Confidence starts from within and how you love and take care of yourself first."
"Eating healthy, working out, getting my hair and nails done, wearing what looks good on me, and not focusing too much on trends is what's best for me and my overall self-esteem. We all have our insecurities, but I stay prayed up and confident in knowing what God has for me is for me. I'm divinely and uniquely made. There's only one Tahira, no carbon copies."
- 8 Current All-Natural Beauty Trends You Can Give The DIY Treatment To ›
- All Natural Beauty Trends DIY - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- How To Stand Out In Business With A Saturated Market - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Questions To Ask Before Getting The Big Chop - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Tahira Wright on Turning #TheCutLife Digital Community Into a ... ›
- Beauty Myths Debunked: Slay, Nay or UmKay?! Presented by My ... ›
- The Cut Life's Tahira Joy Wright shares the keys to success in a ... ›
- The Cut Life (@thecutlife) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Co-Founder of The Cut Life, Tahira Joy Says It Only Took A Week Of ... ›
- Publicist-Turned-Beautypreneur Tahira Wright On Living & Loving ... ›
- ABOUT – The Cut Life ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
The Libra woman and Aries man are the divine feminine and divine masculine, coming together as one. The love compatibility between these two is one for the books. These two are opposite signs, however, their differences tend to complement each other well. This is a dynamic relationship where they know how to have a lot of fun together, but also aren’t afraid to deal with the more serious stuff that comes with a relationship.
The Libra woman is looking for her equal in love, someone who is willing to put in the same effort she is, and the Aries man sees Libra as someone he is willing to do that with.
The Love Compatibility Of A Libra Woman And An Aries Man
What attracts a Libra woman and an Aries man to each other?
There is a magnet of attraction pulling these two together, and things tend to move pretty fast in this relationship. The Libra woman is always open to love and her charming nature rarely has any challenges here. The Aries man fights for his independence and doesn’t sacrifice that unless he is completely enamored with someone.
Once the Aries man catches the eye of the Libra woman, he is typically the one to make the first move and this instantly wins the approval of Libra.
These two feel like they have known each other forever when they meet, and this spark between them doesn’t die down easily.
Hero Images Inc/Getty Images
What is the relationship like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The relationship between the Libra woman and the Aries man is one of balance and excitement. The Aries man tends to take on the more dominant role in this relationship and the Libra woman tends to be the more receptive one. Aries is ruled by masculine Mars, and Libra is ruled by feminine Venus. They understand they are coming from two completely different worlds, yet they also instinctively feel this underlying connection to each other and like they could be something each other needs in their lives.
The Libra woman can rely on the Aries man, and the Aries man never has to ask for the love that Libra already knows he needs.
This is a couple that is often reading each other’s minds and wanting to do a lot of the same things. However, not everything is rainbow in this relationship as well, and there are some major differences they have to overcome to make things work. One argument can lead to an explosion between these two, and addressing things when they come up rather than sweeping them under the rug, will be needed to make this relationship long-term.
What is the sex like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The sex between a Libra woman and an Aries man is adventurous. These are two cardinal signs with plenty of energy and stamina to keep things exciting in the bedroom. There tends to be a good give and take in this relationship, and their yin and yang energy benefits them when it comes to their sex life.
There is electricity felt between the two of them in this area of their life, and their power of attraction to each other is strong. These are two people who will want to do a lot of things together, including exploring sexually together.
The Aries man will have to be careful with being overly aggressive, however, as the soft Libra woman may not like this energy- it will completely depend on the two individuals at hand. The Libra woman wants to ease into things, the Aries man wants to get going right away. Learning about each other's bodies, and energy, and reading each other’s cues will help with this.
Petri Oeschger/Getty Images
What makes a relationship between a Libra woman and an Aries man work?
These two genuinely like each other, and that basis is a key factor for success in any relationship. The Aries man is straight to the point, direct, and inspired. The Libra woman admires these characteristics in others, as she is often herself finding her balance in this type of energy as well. Neither sign is overly emotional in a way that turns them off, and they both require a lot of the same things in a committed relationship. They want honesty, fun, good communication, passion, and to be moving towards a common goal together.
The Libra woman and Aries man don’t have a problem being real with each other and this is something they really value within the relationship. They are both very charming, and there is plenty of flirtation and attraction to keep this relationship going. Aries being the protector they are, Libra finds a sense of safety and ease in this energy, and like they have found their match. Overall, this is a well-balanced relationship and one where they don’t have a problem when it comes to compatibility or chemistry in the relationship.
What may cause a Libra woman and an Aries man to break up?
Libra is the lover, Aries is the fighter, and this energy may be tiring for the both of them after time. The Libra woman can be passive to a fault, and the Aries man who is not evolved, may take advantage of that. She will need to be careful with putting Aries’ needs above her own, creating resentment later down the road. The Aries man loves a challenge, and the Libra woman would be up for that game for a little bit, but if she is not being met in the middle, she will begin to look for other places. These two can have a difficult time keeping the peace in the relationship, and there could be a lot of arguments and disagreements here if they both aren’t willing to put their egos or self-pleasing attitudes to the side.
The Libra woman and Aries man are both more sensitive than they appear or come off as. They are also not necessarily the type to dive deep into their emotions and express them to others, even in their relationships. However, this energy can keep the relationship to a surface level than what is needed to progress and grow the relationship, and a sense of openness is required for this couple to work. Libra needs romance, she wants to be wowed. Aries needs to remember this and to always consider her love language.
Overall, this is a successful pairing. They will have their fair share of challenges in the relationship, but nothing they can’t overcome if they are willing to. The trouble will come in when it comes to the longevity of the relationship, keeping Aries excited and Libra in love. However, all in all, there is more power, attraction, and love to keep this relationship together rather than apart. No relationship is perfect, but this one is a little more blessed than most.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Weekend Images Inc./Getty Images