Earlier this year, R&B singer and reality TV star, Monica, filed for divorce from her husband, Shannon Brown and had the internet shook. Their whirlwind romance began in June of 2010 when the NBA star played the romantic interest in her music video for "Love All Over Me", and only five months later, the two were married in a secret ceremony in Los Angeles.
After nearly a decade, the couple have now decided to call it quits, and according to Monica, their split has been fairly amicable. Despite the 38-year-old entertainer's recent history of being fairly private about her personal life, she's taken a much different approach when it came to this season of The Family Hustle. The "So Gone" singer stopped by The Wendy Williams Show and got real about navigating life after loss and how she manages living in the same house as the man she's divorcing.
Anyone who's ever experienced grieving a relationship knows that the process is never easy, and unfortunately, Monica has had to do it publicly. Along with being a world-renowned songstress and mother-of-three, she also had to deal with criticism from people who really didn't even know her situation:
"The reality show started taking place before the divorce did, let's be clear, or I would not have gone on. Flat out. This is not something I could have predicted, and I'm highly offended when people ask me, 'is that storyline for the show'? I've never in 24 years have done anything for a show. I've never sold anything that wasn't true. I don't play like that."
She went on to say that she continued to film the show even after things got rocky in her life to stay true to herself and avoid compromising her integrity. She told Wendy:
"Had that been going on, I would not have been on the show, but since I was already there and I had made a commitment not only to myself but to two of my very close friends. You don't walk away just because something's happening with you. I'm not on the show alone."
Although this may have been one of the most confusing points in her life, Monica says that her divorce has also given her clarity. She explained that she and her husband still share a home while working out legal proceedings and their communication has been ever:
"It sometimes takes difficult things to lead you to where you need to be. And it was some conversations that needed to be had and some communication that needed to be had. That's what brought us together, so it really opened up the dialogue in the house. We're not feuding or beefing or anything, at all."
Contrary to popular belief, not all breakups have to be bitter, and according to Monica, her relationship with her ex is far from it. While in relationships, we have a tendency to bite our tongues to preserve the feelings of our partners, but when we are separated, we have the freedom to let it all hang out. She explained:
"It's really been peaceful because both of us are comfortable with speaking, you understand? Sometimes it gets too quiet, and it had gotten too quiet. You get to nine years, we made it through some of the trenches. So, now we're communicating."
This soul-singing songstress also noted that due to the responsibility of being a full-time mom, CEO with an international audience, she'll be putting her hot girl summer on hold until next year, but until then, she's adapting to life after love by trying new recipes, and we are here for it.
When's the potluck, sis?
Watch the full clip below!
Monica's New Beginningwww.youtube.com
Featured image via The Wendy Williams Show
Taylor "Pretty" Honore is a spiritually centered and equally provocative rapper from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with a love for people and storytelling. You can probably find me planting herbs in your local community garden, blasting "Back That Thang Up" from my mini speaker. Let's get to know each other: @prettyhonore.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Watching Angela “Blac Chyna” White’s transformation in real-time has truly been a sight to see. It wasn’t that long ago that she announced that she was reversing her cosmetic surgeries in an effort to go back to who she was before the world came to know her as Blac Chyna. In previous interviews, she stated that she was dissolving her facial and lip fillers, removing her breast implants, and getting a butt reduction, as well as removing the dimple piercings that enhanced her fame and controversial tattoos.
In a recent Tamron Hall interview, the mother of two said that she has “fully recovered” from the procedures. She is also celebrating one year of sobriety and opened up about being worried about how her new journey would be received by others.
“I’ve been in the entertainment industry for so long, right, and of course, like, you know, coming out, I’m like young, I’m gonna do wild things as we all have,” she said.
“...I feel like by me being vocal and showing everybody you can change your life and things can get better, like through myself, that right there is an accomplishment, and that’s a part of freedom, too.”
But as she started on her journey, many people have shown her grace, which is something she’s grateful for. “And then the fact that people have been showing me grace, it’s like amazing,” she said. “And I feel like when I did it, I just did it. It was more so like spiritual thing and I feel like people see that, and I’ve always been like my authentic self, so what you see is kinda what you get with me, and that’s just kinda what it is.”
Chyna, who recently received an honorary doctorate from Sacramento Theology Seminary and Bible College, has also repaired her relationship with her mom, Tokyo Toni. The social media celebrity surprised her daughter on the Tamron Hall Show. Prior to the sentimental surprise, Chyna dished on the reconciliation and having a better understanding of her mom.
“I must say, some of the things I have to take accountability for because, like my actions. As a mother, you don’t want to see your daughter doing certain things ‘cause it’s like it doesn’t matter what my past was or what we’re going through, I didn’t raise you that way,” she admitted. “So, it’s like, okay, maybe I was a little bit wrong. Maybe I was acting out a little bit. But I feel like as we grow older, I kinda see more, and I understand more.”
Chyna will be starring in season two of Fox's reality competition show Special Forces: World's Toughest Test.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images