Honestly, there’s not just one thing that can cause your period to become irregular. It could be because you’ve gained or lost weight. It could be due to some stress that you are under. Maybe you’re taking a certain medication that’s causing it. Perhaps you’re exercising too much or eating too little. Again, the answers tend to vary. Yet if there’s one thing that a lot of these issues boil down to it’s that your hormonal levels aren’t as balanced as they need to be. That’s why, if you’ve noticed over the past few cycles that your period is all over the place, it’s important that you make an appointment to see your doctor sooner than later. It’s also a good idea to add some of the following foods into your diet; ones that are proven to help to bring some consistency back to your cycle, if you consume them on a regular basis.
Although pineapple probably has the best reputation for helping to make our bodily fluids down below taste better, it’s got a ton of other benefits too. Pineapple is good for you because it’s got a ton of Vitamin C and manganese in it, not to mention the fact that it contains properties that can help to boost your immunity, fight cancer, ease digestion, suppress inflammation and even help with arthritis-related symptoms.
The reason why it’s helpful on the irregular period front is because the enzyme in it called bromelain increases the production of red and white blood cells (which makes for an easier blood flow) as well as makes it easier for your uterus to shed its lining when it’s time for your period to start.
A couple of years ago, when I wrote about how putting some cinnamon oil on your genitalia can take oral sex to new heights (you can read more about that here), some of y’all asked if there was a burning factor. Nah, it’s more like a warming sensation (although you can add a carrier oil like sweet almond oil if that will make you feel “safer” about it). Anyway, that’s my introduction to how much of a fan of cinnamon I am. I like the way it smells, I like the way it tastes and it’s definitely good for you. Cinnamon is another food that is full of antioxidants. Not only that but it contains anti-inflammatory properties, can help to lower your blood sugar levels, is able to help fight fungal and bacterial infections and there are even studies to support that it helps to fight HIV too.
Since cinnamon is great at helping to bring balance to insulin levels in your system, this is why many medical professionals say that it can be beneficial when it comes to regulating your period; this is especially the case if you happen to be a woman who deals with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).
There aren’t too many articles that touch on the topic of foods that are good for you where salmon isn’t going to be somewhere on the list. It’s full of protein. It’s super-rich in omega-3 fatty acids (which reduce inflammation, lower your blood pressure, and help your arteries to stay healthy). They also contain a good amount of B vitamins, potassium and selenium that work together to help you to manage your weight, boost your brain health and help your skin, hair, and nails to remain strong. Also, due to the omega-3s that are in this particular kind of fish, salmon helps to balance hormones and reduce the severity of period discomfort — both are huge wins in the menstrual cycle department.
Mushrooms are good for you because they’re a great source of Vitamin B, copper, potassium, and antioxidants. Also, because it contains compounds that “mimic” prebiotics (which are basically plant fibers that help your gut to produce the good bacteria that it needs to stay healthy), mushrooms can aid in digestion and strengthen your immunity as well. So, why are they so good at regulating your period? A lot of it comes down to the Vitamin D that is in them. There are a good amount of studies that say that having Vitamin D in your system won’t only help your cycles to come on time, they can also shorten them if they happen to last longer than six days. All good reasons to cook with them more often, if you ask me.
5. Chia Seeds
There are plenty of good things to say about chia seeds. They are full of protein, fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc. They contain antioxidants to keep your immune system in good shape. The calcium in them can help to support your bone health. Some health professionals say they are good at reducing blood sugar levels. Chia seeds are a pretty good source of iron as well. These nutrients, combined with the omega-3s that are in them, all work together to ease your blood pressure, decrease your cholesterol levels, increase blood flow and reduce damage to your blood vessels including the ones in your ovaries — all of which make having a more regular period possible.
6. Raw Papaya
If you’re looking for a fruit that’s basically a multivitamin, raw papaya has totally got your back. Aside from the vitamins A, B, C, and E that’s in it (which makes it the kind of fruit that is really good for your skin), it has fiber, folate, and potassium in it. Raw papaya is also really good for you because it’s got antioxidants, anti-cancer properties and it’s able to fight bodily inflammation. Some other perks are it helps with cellular repair, relieves constipation, and can help to improve your heart health over time.
Because properties in it can also trigger muscle contractions (including when it comes to your cycle), that’s why it gets a period regulating shout-out. A word of caution on this is to eat or drink it a couple of times a week in order to help to get your period regulated but to AVOID it during your actual cycle. Again, because it can get contractions going, I’m not sure how much more intense you want your cramps to be while you are actually on your period.
When it comes to the spice turmeric, make sure that you get the kind that contains curcumin because that is the active ingredient that will give you all of the benefits that I’m about to mention. Turmeric can be super beneficial because it has powerful medicinal compounds that are able to reduce inflammation, lower your risk of heart disease, help to prevent cancer, reduce depression-related symptoms and fight free radicals. As far as your period goes, because turmeric also has anti-spasmodic properties in it, that along with its anti-inflammatory benefits can help to balance your hormones which definitely attributes to you having a more regulated cycle.
Just a word of caution, though — I used to take turmeric on a pretty consistent basis and what it did to me was significantly increase my period flow (I mean, A LOT). I think it’s because it’s also a blood thinner. If you’ve got clots during your period, that could be a good thing. Otherwise, it could end up looking like a mini crime scene in your bathroom. Just a heads up.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
It certainly isn’t the best-tasting stuff on the planet, no way around that. Still, if you want to boost your health, apple cider vinegar can certainly make that happen for you. It kills harmful bacteria. It can assist with lowering your blood sugar. It helps to balance your skin’s pH levels. It lowers cholesterol. It can help to burn belly fat. It really deserves an article, all on its own. And what does apple cider vinegar do for your cycle? There are actually a few studies that say that it’s so potent that it can help to restore ovulatory function in women who have PCOS, so long as they consume it on a regular basis. How amazing is that?
It’s kinda crazy, how much a lot of us don’t give parsley a second thought beyond it being garnish on some of our dishes because it really is an herb that’s pretty good for our overall health and well-being. For starters, it’s a fair source of protein and fiber. Parsley also contains a ton (and I do mean A TON) of vitamins K and A per serving, along with a pretty impressive amount of Vitamin C and antioxidants. If you’re looking for food that will keep your bones and teeth strong, protect your eyes and even freshen your breath, look no further than it. Period-wise, it’s good for you because it helps to increase blood flow which could result in your periods coming more on time (if you consume it semi-regularly, that is).
10. Dark Chocolate
If you’re looking to get a good dose of fiber, manganese, iron, magnesium, and copper, you don’t need to look any further than dark chocolate. It also has antioxidants and fatty acids that help with lowering your cholesterol levels and keeping your heart healthy. As if that’s not impressive enough, dark chocolate can help to ease feelings that are associated with depression, lower the risk of you having a stroke, suppress coughs that are related to the common cold, boost your brain function, and even protect your skin from damaging skin rays.
And if you eat a piece of it on a daily basis, the flavonoids in dark chocolate can “mimic” estrogen, so that your hormones are able to level out and your blood circulation will be able to improve all throughout your body. Just make sure to not get a Hershey’s bar but rather the kind of dark chocolate that has no less than 65 percent cocoa in it. It might not taste as good, but you’ll get a lot more benefits — your body, including your period, will thank you. Guaranteed.
Featured image by Getty Images
- Tips For Women Struggling With Endometriosis - xoNecole ... ›
- Are Your Periods All Over the Place? - xoNecole: Women's Interest ... ›
- Living With PCOS As A Black Woman - xoNecole: Women's Interest ... ›
- How To Balance Your Hormones - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- What Is PCOS? Symptoms, Diagnosis, Managing Diet Lifestyle - xoNecole: Lifestyle, Culture, Love, Wellness ›
Different puzzle pieces are creating bigger pictures these days. 2024 will mark a milestone on a few different levels, including the release of my third book next June (yay!).
I am also a Professional Certified Coach. My main mission for attaining that particular goal is to use my formal credentials to help people navigate through the sometimes tumultuous waters, both on and offline, when it comes to information about marriage, sex and relationships that is oftentimes misinformation (because "coach" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, oftentimes quite poorly).
I am also still super devoted to helping to bring life into this world as a doula, marriage life coaching will always be my first love (next to writing, of course), a platform that advocates for good Black men is currently in the works and my keystrokes continue to be devoted to HEALTHY over HAPPY in the areas of holistic intimacy, spiritual evolution, purpose manifestation and self-love...because maturity teaches that it's impossible to be happy all of the time when it comes to reaching goals yet healthy is a choice that can be made on a daily basis (amen?).
If you have any PERSONAL QUESTIONS (please do not contact me with any story pitches; that is an *editorial* need), feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org. A sistah will certainly do what she can. ;)
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy