Between being a full-time mom, songwriter, actress, and doula, Erykah Badu definitely wears a number of different hats but luckily, she has more than enough space in her closet(s) for every single one of them.
The now 48-year-old artist has been known for her eclectic style since the 90s and recently spilled all the details on the secret to her style in an interview with InStyle. Erykah shared that all of the dope pieces we've seen her wear over the years are locked in, not one, but several closets in both her and her grandmother's homes. She explained:
"My closets look like full rooms. I am a collector, after all."
Erykah is the queen of the switch-up and has never hesitated to rock what others may consider as eccentric. From her towering headwraps down to her exaggerated platform heels, the "On and On" singer is the epitome of creative expression and her style knows no bounds. This effortlessly fly fashionista may be the queen or pulling a look all the way together, but says she takes a long ass time in the mirror getting ready just like the rest of us:
"There's the girl-who's-cooking-pancakes look," she says. What would she wear? "Oh, she might wear a kimono. A T-shirt. Black socks. There's a look for everybody." Sometimes, she says, it takes, "like, 20 redos" before she gets it right. "Some people have this gift where they can see their outfit before it's on the body, and that makes a very good stylist. I don't have that gift. I'm an artist, so I'm sculpting as I go, eliminating along the way."
Although we Stan for this creatively covered queen's outlandish looks, the singer says that her daughter doesn't always share our appreciation. Erykah says that she's even got a few critiques about her carpool attire:
"[My daughter] says, 'Mama, please don't come up here looking crazy.' "
Erykah's eclectic style may seem extra to some, but according to her, maybe you're just not doing enough. The singer says that by remembering that she is "her own audience" when it comes to her personal style, she knows that the only one she has to impress is herself.
"I have a good understanding of my own personal style. [I know] what looks good on my body, what colors look good on my skin. I'm not afraid to take risks. I mean, it's all creativity. Whether it's writing a song or doing a dance or making a film. I feel like I'm witnessing myself. I'm my own audience."
Erykah's iconic persona has inspired a culture of American women who burn incense, sage, cannabis, and anything else that rids bad vibes to wear whatever TF they want, and we would like to personally thank you for your service, sis.
Read the full interview here!
Featured image by Gregg DeGuire/Getty Images
- Erykah Badu Brings Her Beautiful Daughters To SoulTrain Awards ... ›
- Mane Crush: Erykah Badu's Hottest Hairstyles | Erykah Badu ... ›
- ERYKAH BADU, WYCLEF JEAN, AND ZAP MAMA in SPECIAL ... ›
- Erykah Badu joins DSO for concert (during Pride Month, no less ... ›
- Celebrity Photos Of The Week: August 26 - September 1st - Essence ›
- Erykah Badu's Daughter Wows Instagram With Her Voice • EBONY ›
- Erykah Badu's Many Closets - Styling Her Own Photo Shoot | InStyle ... ›
- Erykah Badu Style Evolution: From Towering Head Wraps To Crazy ... ›
- Erykah Badu and Her Daughter Wear Matching Oversize Hats - Vogue ›
- Erykah Badu Style Evolution: From Towering Head Wraps To Crazy ... ›
Taylor "Pretty" Honore is a spiritually centered and equally provocative rapper from Baton Rouge, Louisiana with a love for people and storytelling. You can probably find me planting herbs in your local community garden, blasting "Back That Thang Up" from my mini speaker. Let's get to know each other: @prettyhonore.
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images