If there’s anything I love about makeup, it’s a bold lip. I am that girl that will wear red, hot pink, and even black lip colors. As a child, I was always indifferent about my full lips. I now know that my insecurities stemmed from unrealistic beauty standards that catered to white features, so wearing a bold color is my creative way of taking back my power. It’s also my way of saying my full brown lips are beautiful, good enough, and do not need anyone's approval to be part of the beauty standard. My lips are my way of being vocal, loud, and unapologetically proud.
Although I love my beautiful bold lip colors, I felt it was time I took things up a notch. While shamelessly scrolling on the #beautytiktok hashtag on TikTok, I came across Stay Golden’s Glitter Lip Kit. The now-viral glitter lip kit is an electrifying vibrant kit that will have the spotlight on anyone’s lips. I believe in my heart this glitter lip kit is my spirit animal. I was captivated by the videos showing how the glitter flawlessly glistened in the sun or a nighttime setting. I’m not ashamed to say I fell for classic social media marketing and bought the lip kit to try for myself. Keep reading to learn more about my experience with Stay Golden’s Cosmetics Glitter Lip Kit:
A Little Tea About The Brand
Stay Golden Cosmetics is proudly island girl-owned by Danielle Edmond. The Jamaica-born model started her business on her living room floor in Brooklyn, N.Y. Her love for the city's nightlife and cosmopolitans infused her idea to create a beauty line that shined brighter than the city's night lights. She is now known for her super-popping glitter lip kits sweeping the TikTok For You page.
About My Lips
My lips are sweet, supple, and brown. Since the colder months are upon us, my lips are more prone to getting dry. My self-care routine for my lips consists of sugar scrubs and lip masks to keep them moisturized and smooth. I treat my lips with kindness when removing harsh lip stains or lipsticks. My preference is to use an oil cleanser to remove any bold lipstick of choice. I believe these treatment methods have helped to keep my lips healthy, helping me avoid over-drying, cracks, or sores.
How To Apply: Easy... Too Easy
The only thing that made me nervous about this product was the application. I was worried the process would be pretty messy. Although I love glitter, the last thing I want is a sparkly mess in my bathroom. To my surprise, applying the look was easy and didn’t require any bathroom maintenance afterward. I credit this to the instructions, which listed steps that included using the lipliner, then gliding on the gloss bond, and finally adding the glitter on dry lips. All three items were included in the lip kit.
When I applied the gloss bond the texture surprised me. I would compare it to glue—which makes sense given the glitter must stick—but the feeling was a bit uncomfortable. It dried my lips more, but I guess that’s the sacrifice you make for beauty in this case.
Applying the glitter was easy and fun, and I used the applicator brush that came with the kit to gently apply it. I had full control of where and how much of the glitter I wanted to put on.
I gotta admit, I typically don’t believe everything I see on social media, especially when it comes to cosmetics. You ever bought a beauty product because the hype on social media was too real, but then you get it in the mail and realize you’ve been bamboozled? I’ve been fooled by the algorithm and convincing beauty gurus one too many times. However, I am not a victim of buyer's remorse. I chose to spend my coins, and I've paid for my choices—literally.
I'm happy to report the coins were not wasted! This product looked exactly how it did when displayed on social media, if not better. The glitter was unbelievably gorgeous on my lips! At first, I expected the glitter to fall throughout the day or to find bits of it on my face. The total opposite happened! The glitter remained on my lips the entire day as I drank water, caught up with friends, and went about my business.
Remember that drying feeling we discussed earlier? After I applied the glitter, I put clear lip gloss on for moisture and extra pop.
The Value: Worth It
The kit retails for $20 plus shipping. I have to admit I’m actually OK with the price. Why? Because it works! I personally do not mind spending a coin on Black- and Brown-owned brands especially if the product works. I love that this kit provides you with everything you need to achieve the best results. Best $20 I’ve ever spent!
The Final Verdict
I mean, do I even need to say it? I love this product! I appreciated how bold the glitter was on my lips and how well it held up throughout the day. The removal process was also painless. Using an oil cleanser or coconut oil to remove this product will work just fine. Sure, the gloss bond was uncomfortable at first, but lip gloss took great care of that problem. The price point is appropriate, the product works, and it’s Black-owned. Seriously! What’s not to love?
10 out of 10, would recommend!
Featured image by Celeste Polanco
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
2023 has become the year of celebrity breakups with headlines breaking left and right about celebs filing for divorce or ending high-profile relationships. The latest couple to announce their dissolution? British actress Jodie Turner-Smith. TMZ reported that Jodie has filed for a divorce from her husband, Dawson Creek alum Joshua Jackson.
As far as her reason for calling it quits, Jodie cited "irreconcilable differences," according to TMZ, and has requested joint custody of the couple's daughter, Juno Rose Diana Jackson. Late last year there were rumblings of there being "trouble in paradise" for the couple after the media realized they were no longer following each other on Instagram.
Those rumors were more than laid to rest when Jodie and Joshua went to the 2023 Oscars together earlier this year, and even more recently, when they celebrated her birthday together last month during the September unveiling of the Lotus Emeya.
Jodie Turner-Smith celebrates her birthday with husband Joshua Jackson at the unveiling of the new fully-electric Lotus Emeya on September 07, 2023 in New York City.
Brian Ach/Getty Images for Lotus
Despite seeming particularly happy and in love, perhaps the writing was already written on the wall even then. In the past, Jodie has been very celebratory publicly about her love for her estranged husband, even boldly recounting their love story for the books in a 2021 interview with Seth Meyers.
When Jodie and Joshua met, it was while at his birthday party in 2018. Their relationship was hot and heavy from the start, with Jodie openly noting that they began as a "one-night stand." During her 2021 interview with Seth Meyers, she jokingly referred to their love story as a "three-year one-night stand." She shared:
"First of all, I saw him before he saw me and when I saw him, I was like, 'I want that.' And then when he saw me, I just pretended like I didn't see him. He had to yell across the room to me, and I was wearing this T-shirt from a movie called Sorry to Bother You and [actress] Tessa Thompson plays a character called Detroit, and she has this T-shirt that says, 'The Future Is Female Ejaculation.'
"And so, he shouts across the room, 'Detroit!' He comes over and… does this really cute, charming thing that he does and just all night -- he just basically followed me around the party."
The couple were together from that moment forth, and even made things "Instagram official" less than two weeks later while on a dinner date. Joshua would later clarify to Insider that the night they met in 2018 was not a 'one-night stand' or a 'three-year one-night stand' like his then-wife joked but instead, it was "technically a three-night stand."
"It was sealed with a kiss that night and then we didn't leave each other's sides for, well, three years now," Joshua continued at the time.
In a July 2021 interview with Jimmy Fallon, Joshua dropped more details about the why behind getting married. He revealed that he didn't know he wanted to get married to Jodie until "the moment she asked me."
"She asked me on New Year's Eve. We were in Nicaragua. It was very beautiful, incredibly romantic, we were walking down the beach and she asked me to marry her."
He added, "I did not know [she would propose], but she was quite adamant and she was right. This is the best choice I ever made."
Joshua Jackson Reveals Jodie Turner-Smith Proposed To Him
Jodie received quite a bit of flack for proposing to Joshua because it goes against tradition and what society sees as acceptable for a woman to do to a man, and proposing isn't one of them. No matter how much time has passed, the viewpoints around who should do the proposing and who should be proposed to are still very traditional.
After being on the receiving end of such backlash, Joshua would later clarify to the media in a separate interview that it wasn't just Jodie's proposal to him that sealed the deal of them getting married, he proposed to her too. She might have initiated it, but Joshua followed through.
"I accidentally threw my wife under the bus because that story was told quickly and it didn't give the full context and holy Jesus, the internet is racist and misogynist," he explained to Refinery29 that same year. "We were in Nicaragua on a beautiful moonlit night, it could not possibly have been more romantic."
David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images
He continued, "And yes, my wife did propose to me and yes, I did say yes, but what I didn't say in that interview was there was a caveat, which is that I'm still old school enough that I said, 'This is a yes, but you have to give me the opportunity [to do it too].'"
"She has a biological father and a stepdad, who's the man who raised her. [I said], 'You have to give me the opportunity to ask both of those men for your hand in marriage.' And then, 'I would like the opportunity to re-propose to you and do it the old-fashioned way down on bended knee.' So, that's actually how the story ended up."
Joshua and Jodie would eventually marry in December 2019. Shortly thereafter, Jodie gave birth to the couple's first child, Janie, in 2020.
In a recent interview with Elle UK, Jodie shared the ways becoming a mother to Juno helped to heal her of her wounds from colorism she experienced in the past. "It's interesting because I had a lot of resistance to becoming a mother and, throughout my life, I always said if I were to have children, I wanted to have Black, Black babies so that I could affirm them as children with the love that I felt I needed to have been affirmed with by the outside world," Jodie shared with the outlet.
She continued, "Then I fell in love with my husband and we talked about having kids. I did have this mini pause, where I was like, 'She's going to be walking through the world not only having an experience that I did not have, but looking like people that, in a way, I'd always felt a little bit tormented by.' Now that I've got this little, tiny, light-skinned boss, I feel like it’s the universe teaching me lessons. I've been given a daughter who looks this way to heal my own conversations around colorism."
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Amy Sussman/Getty Images