When it comes to building a personal brand on top of your 9-5, it's hard AF. How do I find time? How do I spend my money on resources? Will people support my vision? Well, the truth is that all of these questions, plus probably about 10 million more, will pop up in your head at least once every day. That's just the life of being an entrepreneur.
"When I first started my blog, I was working on it after hours," said Jamé Jackson, a style and beauty influencer based in NYC. "It takes time to build your side hustle, and oftentimes you'll feel like you can't do it because of whatever. It doesn't matter if you don't have the resources, that's when you have to keep pressing. It all started with just one hour a day, and then you really start to see significant differences as long as you stay dedicated."
I wanted to see if I could do the same thing — if I could dedicate one hour a day to my side hustle, and more importantly, if I noticed a difference afterward. For one month, I spent time actually working on journaling and building as a blogger. Here are some life lessons I learned in that month:
You Make Time For What You Want To Make Time For.
The first thing you'll notice when starting out with your side hustle is just how important every hour is in a day. Whether you're accounting for sleep, transportation, or even the time we just spend on social media, every hour counts while trying to plan.
One of the first things I had to learn was how to budget my time for the things that are actually important to me. I started off giving myself an hour a day to focus on my side hustle and would set up any and all parameters to ensure that I didn't get distracted or thrown off focus during the hour. I had to ask myself, Is seeing what everyone else is doing on Instagram more important than the one hour I've promised to give myself? Am I not worth the one hour?
While it's hard, you make time for what you want to make time for, and you can get a LOT done in under an hour. So cut back the distractions and get focused!
Originally published on January 10, 2019
Featured image by Shutterstock
- 4 Life Changes That Happened After I Started Working Out During ... ›
- Melissa Carnegie Is Proof That You Don't Have To Quit Your 9-To-5 To Build An Empire - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- Taxes, Investing, Hours: How To Plan For Your Side-Hustle Income ... ›
- 10 Steps to Start a Business While Working a Full-Time Job ›
- Side Hustle Success in 5 Hours a Week While Working Full-Time ›
- Millennial paying student loans, side hustling shares week of spending ›
- Why The "Toxic" Side Hustle May Be The Best Thing For Your Budget ›
- The most lucrative side hustles ›
- How to Find Time for Your Side Hustle: 3 Fundamental Productivity ... ›
- The Ultimate Side-Hustle How-to Guide: 10 Rules for Side-Hustle ... ›
- Everything you need to earn extra dough with these four side hustles ›
- Need spending money? 12 side hustles where you can make $1000 ... ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
Watching Angela “Blac Chyna” White’s transformation in real-time has truly been a sight to see. It wasn’t that long ago that she announced that she was reversing her cosmetic surgeries in an effort to go back to who she was before the world came to know her as Blac Chyna. In previous interviews, she stated that she was dissolving her facial and lip fillers, removing her breast implants, and getting a butt reduction, as well as removing the dimple piercings that enhanced her fame and controversial tattoos.
In a recent Tamron Hall interview, the mother of two said that she has “fully recovered” from the procedures. She is also celebrating one year of sobriety and opened up about being worried about how her new journey would be received by others.
“I’ve been in the entertainment industry for so long, right, and of course, like, you know, coming out, I’m like young, I’m gonna do wild things as we all have,” she said.
“...I feel like by me being vocal and showing everybody you can change your life and things can get better, like through myself, that right there is an accomplishment, and that’s a part of freedom, too.”
But as she started on her journey, many people have shown her grace, which is something she’s grateful for. “And then the fact that people have been showing me grace, it’s like amazing,” she said. “And I feel like when I did it, I just did it. It was more so like spiritual thing and I feel like people see that, and I’ve always been like my authentic self, so what you see is kinda what you get with me, and that’s just kinda what it is.”
Chyna, who recently received an honorary doctorate from Sacramento Theology Seminary and Bible College, has also repaired her relationship with her mom, Tokyo Toni. The social media celebrity surprised her daughter on the Tamron Hall Show. Prior to the sentimental surprise, Chyna dished on the reconciliation and having a better understanding of her mom.
“I must say, some of the things I have to take accountability for because, like my actions. As a mother, you don’t want to see your daughter doing certain things ‘cause it’s like it doesn’t matter what my past was or what we’re going through, I didn’t raise you that way,” she admitted. “So, it’s like, okay, maybe I was a little bit wrong. Maybe I was acting out a little bit. But I feel like as we grow older, I kinda see more, and I understand more.”
Chyna will be starring in season two of Fox's reality competition show Special Forces: World's Toughest Test.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Feature image by Kevin Winter/Getty Images