Celebrity hairstylist Cliff Vmir is a bonafide badass working with some of the top talents in entertainment, including Cardi B, who months ago crafted Cardi's icy blue hair color that lit social media ablaze. Recently, the millionaire hairstylist gave his 700K+ followers an up close and personal look into his life by starring in his own BET web series Wig Out. At only 21 years old, Cliff holds the reins as a premier stylist and has gained a loyal following on social media as well as from his classes where aspiring hairstylists learn valuable techniques and expert advice for mastering the latest looks.
Luckily for us, we were able to snag Cliff for a moment to talk about what he knows best: Wigs! From advice on purchasing our wigs to caring for and maintaining them, Cliff has us covered, and we are definitely taking notes.
Courtesy of Cliff Vmir
It’s All About the Lace.
"When purchasing a wig, you should make sure that the lace is pretty thin and the color of the lace matches your skin and [that] it's a swift lace," Cliff told us. "You also want to make sure that you are getting a nice quality wig. You don't want to get a wig that's kinda cheap because you get what you pay for."
Quality over quantity is a life mantra that goes double with wigs. "There [are] so many different types of hair you can use for a wig and that (quality) is something you want to pay attention to when purchasing a wig. You don't want to get a wig that you spend a lot of money on or feel is a lot of money but it's not great quality. You just want to keep your eyes open and do your research, especially from the company you're purchasing your wig from."
Cliff also added that sometimes spending more money on hair upfront can save you money in the long run. "[With] synthetic hair, you can't curl it, you can't straighten it, you could probably color it but it just doesn't give you that flexibility or that movement that human hair does," he explained. "Synthetic hair swells up after a week or two in the end… That same money you're using to buy [and replace] those synthetic wigs, you're gonna be using the same amount of money that you could've been spending on an expensive wig that would last you about six months."
Prep Your Wig Properly.
"When you're doing a wig, you just have to make sure that you bleach the knots, you're plucking it, you're tinting the knots and lace to make sure it matches your skin color. As long as you pluck it well and apply a nude stocking cap underneath to make sure that you have the scalp-like look, then you'll be fine."
Cardi B styled by Cliff Vmir
Courtesy of Cliff Vmir
Keep It Clean and Dry.
"Make sure that you're very gentle when it comes to shampooing the wig. Make sure you use a mild shampoo and conditioner as well as putting the wig [under] the dryer. That's a lot better and makes the hair feel a lot softer, opposed to blow drying it or air drying it. Air drying it is fine too but you want to make sure that the lace is fully dry, so put it [under] a hooded hair dryer."
If you're looking to wear your wig long-term and prefer to sew it to your head, Cliff has a tip for that too: "Shampoo, condition, and rebraid [your hair], that way you're not putting any heat unto it, really giving it time to grow."
The Way You Store Your Wigs Is Important.
In order to preserve your wigs you must store them properly. "You can get a dome head, the styrofoam heads, or you can even put your wigs in a silk bag. If you are sleeping in the wig, just make sure that it's a silk bonnet or silk scarf. Make sure that the wig has some kinda silk around it, but if it's not around silk, then it needs to be propped up somewhere because cotton does dry your hair out."
Wear The Hair That Works Best For You.
"I wear my Mink Brazilian hair. That's the only hair I really wear out of my company [Hym Hair]. It's very expensive but it lasts a super long time. You can wear it for a year straight and it'll still look like you just got it. That's the only hair I wear. I've tried Indian hair, nothing really wrong with it, it's just the Mink Brazilian hair is less maintenance. If I press it out, I can sleep all on it, and then run a brush through it and it'll still be straight [for] two full weeks."
Tune into Wig Out every Sunday on BET Digital, YouTube, and BET Facebook and the BET App at 6pm. Follow Cliff Vmir on all social media @cliffvmir, and look out for his new EP in March.
Featured image courtesy of Cliff Vmir.
- Cardi B Real Natural Hair Growth Secrets - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- How To Care For Your Hair Under A Wig - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- CLIFF VMIR (@cliffvmir) | Twitter ›
- Celebrity Hairstylist Cliff VMir on Working With Cardi B and Why He ... ›
- How Cliff Vmir Made His First Million At 19 Doing Cardi B's Hair | Get ... ›
- Celebrity Hairstylist Cliff Vmir Is Quitting His Job To Become A ... ›
- Cardi B Hair Stylist Cliff Vmir on BET's "Wig Out" - PAPER ›
- Celebrity hairstylist Cliff VMir explains how he made his 1st million ... ›
- Cliff Vmir built a hair empire before drinking age. Now, he wants to ... ›
- 21-Year-Old Millionaire Hairstylist, Cliff Vmir, Brings You Into His ... ›
- NBCBLK28: Teen Hair Mogul Cliff Vmir Refines the Salon Experience ›
- CliffVmir (@cliffvmir) • Instagram photos and videos ›
London Alexaundria is the contributing editor for xoNecole. She is an alum of Clark Atlanta University, where she majored in Mass Media Arts and has worked in journalism for over ten years. You can follow her on Instagram and TikTok @theselfcarewriter
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
The Libra woman and Aries man are the divine feminine and divine masculine, coming together as one. The love compatibility between these two is one for the books. These two are opposite signs, however, their differences tend to complement each other well. This is a dynamic relationship where they know how to have a lot of fun together, but also aren’t afraid to deal with the more serious stuff that comes with a relationship.
The Libra woman is looking for her equal in love, someone who is willing to put in the same effort she is, and the Aries man sees Libra as someone he is willing to do that with.
The Love Compatibility Of A Libra Woman And An Aries Man
What attracts a Libra woman and an Aries man to each other?
There is a magnet of attraction pulling these two together, and things tend to move pretty fast in this relationship. The Libra woman is always open to love and her charming nature rarely has any challenges here. The Aries man fights for his independence and doesn’t sacrifice that unless he is completely enamored with someone.
Once the Aries man catches the eye of the Libra woman, he is typically the one to make the first move and this instantly wins the approval of Libra.
These two feel like they have known each other forever when they meet, and this spark between them doesn’t die down easily.
Hero Images Inc/Getty Images
What is the relationship like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The relationship between the Libra woman and the Aries man is one of balance and excitement. The Aries man tends to take on the more dominant role in this relationship and the Libra woman tends to be the more receptive one. Aries is ruled by masculine Mars, and Libra is ruled by feminine Venus. They understand they are coming from two completely different worlds, yet they also instinctively feel this underlying connection to each other and like they could be something each other needs in their lives.
The Libra woman can rely on the Aries man, and the Aries man never has to ask for the love that Libra already knows he needs.
This is a couple that is often reading each other’s minds and wanting to do a lot of the same things. However, not everything is rainbow in this relationship as well, and there are some major differences they have to overcome to make things work. One argument can lead to an explosion between these two, and addressing things when they come up rather than sweeping them under the rug, will be needed to make this relationship long-term.
What is the sex like between a Libra woman and an Aries man?
The sex between a Libra woman and an Aries man is adventurous. These are two cardinal signs with plenty of energy and stamina to keep things exciting in the bedroom. There tends to be a good give and take in this relationship, and their yin and yang energy benefits them when it comes to their sex life.
There is electricity felt between the two of them in this area of their life, and their power of attraction to each other is strong. These are two people who will want to do a lot of things together, including exploring sexually together.
The Aries man will have to be careful with being overly aggressive, however, as the soft Libra woman may not like this energy- it will completely depend on the two individuals at hand. The Libra woman wants to ease into things, the Aries man wants to get going right away. Learning about each other's bodies, and energy, and reading each other’s cues will help with this.
Petri Oeschger/Getty Images
What makes a relationship between a Libra woman and an Aries man work?
These two genuinely like each other, and that basis is a key factor for success in any relationship. The Aries man is straight to the point, direct, and inspired. The Libra woman admires these characteristics in others, as she is often herself finding her balance in this type of energy as well. Neither sign is overly emotional in a way that turns them off, and they both require a lot of the same things in a committed relationship. They want honesty, fun, good communication, passion, and to be moving towards a common goal together.
The Libra woman and Aries man don’t have a problem being real with each other and this is something they really value within the relationship. They are both very charming, and there is plenty of flirtation and attraction to keep this relationship going. Aries being the protector they are, Libra finds a sense of safety and ease in this energy, and like they have found their match. Overall, this is a well-balanced relationship and one where they don’t have a problem when it comes to compatibility or chemistry in the relationship.
What may cause a Libra woman and an Aries man to break up?
Libra is the lover, Aries is the fighter, and this energy may be tiring for the both of them after time. The Libra woman can be passive to a fault, and the Aries man who is not evolved, may take advantage of that. She will need to be careful with putting Aries’ needs above her own, creating resentment later down the road. The Aries man loves a challenge, and the Libra woman would be up for that game for a little bit, but if she is not being met in the middle, she will begin to look for other places. These two can have a difficult time keeping the peace in the relationship, and there could be a lot of arguments and disagreements here if they both aren’t willing to put their egos or self-pleasing attitudes to the side.
The Libra woman and Aries man are both more sensitive than they appear or come off as. They are also not necessarily the type to dive deep into their emotions and express them to others, even in their relationships. However, this energy can keep the relationship to a surface level than what is needed to progress and grow the relationship, and a sense of openness is required for this couple to work. Libra needs romance, she wants to be wowed. Aries needs to remember this and to always consider her love language.
Overall, this is a successful pairing. They will have their fair share of challenges in the relationship, but nothing they can’t overcome if they are willing to. The trouble will come in when it comes to the longevity of the relationship, keeping Aries excited and Libra in love. However, all in all, there is more power, attraction, and love to keep this relationship together rather than apart. No relationship is perfect, but this one is a little more blessed than most.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Weekend Images Inc./Getty Images