As a new mom, choosing a baby name was something that I had so much fun doing, but took pretty seriously. Sure, there are dozens of names that sound cute and adorable when practiced with the phrase, "Come here *fill in the blank!*" But when I researched the definition of some, I wasn't necessarily a fan of labeling my then-unborn child with certain definitions. While many traditional names are making a comeback, celestial baby names serve as a subtle and notable reminder that your little one is a gift from above. They're angelic, simply beautiful, yet exude strength and dominion. But the best part is that their definition will salute your little one every time you call their name.
Luna is an Italian and Spanish name meaning "moon". It might sound familiar as it's also the name of John Legend and Chrissy Teigen's adorable daughter they welcomed in 2016.
The name Atlas is going places. It has Greek origins and its meaning is "to carry."
Meaning "love and beauty", the name Skye is simple yet makes a statement. It is also frequently spelled Sky and although she was born Justine Indira Skyers, singerJustine Skyeis notable for rocking this namesake professionally.
Stemming from German and Latin origins, the name Leo means "lion", and can't help but manifest bravery and strength. Reality star Evelyn Lozadaalso chose the name for her son Carl Leo, who she and ex-MLB star Carl Crawford, welcomed in 2014.
The name Venus is defined as the "goddess of love". Many were first introduced to the name thanks to tennis star Venus Williams.
It's a pretty common last name, but Armstrong can also be a solid first name too.
Other Variations: Halley
The Halley comet is what makes this name a special one. It's the only one that the naked eye can see from Earth (and even then, it only shows its face every 74-79 years). Another common spelling is Halle, also the name of Oscar-winning actress Halle Berry and Chloe X Halle singer Halle Bailey.
Orion is a name from Greek mythology and is a rising star. Who wouldn't want to be associated with this one?
Every day gives you a fresh start with the name Dawn, which means the "first appearance of light or daybreak". Dawn Richardof Danity Kane wears this name ever so well.
Named after a bird that is known for rising from the ashes, the baby name Phoenix isn't to be underestimated.
While the name Nova means "new", it's also a star that has a sudden burst of energy and exudes extraordinary brightness for a moment in time. Any baby girl with this name is bound to be a star.
Sirius is the name of the brightest star in the sky, which eloquently explains itself.
Meaning "moon goddess", Aisha is also the name of actress Aisha Tyler.
It's the name of a constellation and serves as the root name for Drake (not to be confused with rapper Drake, whose birth name is Aubrey Graham).
Diana is a Latin name meaning "divine", which we know embodies iconic singer Diana Ross.
The name itself means "defender", and the film Remember the Titans could have played a factor in its popularity. R&B singer Kelly Rowland also notably named her first child Titan, a name we're sure he'll live up to.
The name Chandra is derived from the word Chan, which means "to shine". It's also the name of beloved Grey's Anatomy star Chandra Wilson.
Greek mythology calls Apollo the god of the sun. NASA's Apollo initiative was also the first to place men on the moon. Talk about a history-maker.
Other variations: Serena
Meaning "star", the name Seren comes from Turkish origin and possibly served as the inspiration for tennis icon Serena Williams.
The Hebrew name means "like the sun", and is the name of Biblical character Samson, known for his supernatural strength.
It's a traditional name in its own right and means "star". British singer Estelle also represents the name with class.
Persian for "the sun", Cyrus was a leader in the B.C. days who overthrew Babylon to create his own kingdom. We can get with that.
Are you a member of our insiders squad? Join us in the xoTribe Members Community today!
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Charmaine Patterson is a journalist, lifestyle blogger, and a lover of all things pop culture. While she has much experience in covering top entertainment news stories, she aims to share her everyday life experiences, old and new, with other women who can relate, laugh, and love along with her. Follow Char on Twitter @charjpatterson, Instagram @charpatterson, and keep up with her journey at CharJPatterson.com .
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
If there’s one part of the face that seems to be the most vexing to correct, it’s the under eyes.
This delicate area has a way of being tipped off by our irregular sleep patterns, stress, and the straining that comes from our computers and phone screens. From puffiness to dark circles, it can be irksome to find the right products to soothe our under-eye concerns. Thankfully, there’s one solution that delivers a brighter and more awakened look over time, and that’s under-eye masks and eye patches.
Eye patches are giving our under-eye bags an eviction notice because they can’t hang our glowing faces rent-free. The beauty of these patches is that they are designed to bring your eyes targeted results through concentrated doses of active ingredients directly to the skin under the eyes. Typically made of thin, gel-like material and infused with ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, caffeine, and even green teas, these small but mighty patches depuff your puffiness, brighten your dark circles, or tighten fine lines.
While every under-eye differs in its needs, every eye can benefit from an under-eye mask or patch that suits its concerns. And to help, we’ve put together the best under-eye patches to hydrate, soothe, and brighten your eyes.
The KNC Beauty All Natural Retinol Infused Eye Mask, 5-Pack, is a retinol-infused, all-natural product designed to rejuvenate your eyes. It promises to provide hydration, smoothness, reduced puffiness, and brightness without the use of chemicals. With ingredients like retinol to refine skin texture and stimulate blood flow and aloe to soothe and reduce redness, it's like getting 8 hours of beauty sleep for your eyes.
These cooling hydrogel under-eye masks from Topicals promise to fade the appearance of dark circles and discoloration in just 15 minutes. The set includes six masks and offers benefits that brighten, hydrate, depuff, and cool your under-eye area.
Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Brightening Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
Grab these eye contour gel patches to brighten the eye area and combat signs of aging using a powerful form of vitamin C called THD Ascorbate, which is 50 times more potent than traditional vitamin C.
BeautyBio's Bright Eyes consists of 15 colloidal silver-infused eye gel patches designed to provide instant depuffing, brightening, and revitalization to the delicate eye area within 10 minutes. They also contain natural collagen to help diminish the appearance of fine lines, which we love.
These viral hydrogel masks offer moisture and nourishment to rejuvenate tired-looking skin. Their Snail Secretion Filtrate contains "Mucin," an effective moisturizing ingredient that soothes damaged skin and delivers deep hydration, making it suitable for dehydrated and damaged skin types. Your under-eyes will thank you.
Try these caffeine-infused patches to reduce puffiness in the under-eye area. The product features clean, vegan ingredients such as caffeine, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid for deep hydration and moisture delivery.
The Forever Eye Mask is designed to be the “last eye mask you'll ever need.” This thin, lightweight, and reusable eye patch can hold gels, serums, and creams close to the skin for better absorption, helping your skincare products work more effectively.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by blackCAT/Getty Images