Summer is looking a bit different this year thanks to 'Rona, and though things have been a bit rough, all is not lost. With all the stress from everyday life and world crises, adding a bit of reading to the mix is always a good look. The benefits of reading a great book are undeniable and includes increasing intelligence, reducing stress, and relieving anxiety and depression. We could all use a bit of escape and brain food right now.
So let's get into 10 books worth checking out this summer and beyond---all raved about by bookstagrammers and lit lovers around the world. And don't worry sis. These aren't all the same ole' titles you've seen on other popular lists---there's a variety of genres and authors to wake up the book geek inside of all of us. (Yes, you sis. She's in there. Trust me.)
*This list is specially curated by the xoNecole team and some links are affiliate links. If you purchase an item from an affiliate link, xoNecole might earn a small commission.
Generational curses. Family drama. Redemption and understanding. If you're into stories about love, unity, transformation, and sisterly bonds, this book might be your pick of the summer. Described as "well-written" and "stunning," it has multiple narratives surrounding three sisters in the aftermath of one of them getting prison time for white-collar crimes. It's been a favorite on 2019 book lists including that of Vogue, Essence and Refinery29. Even Insecure star Issa Rae has "devoured" it.
This Queen Sugar actress has been dropping jewels of wisdom for a while via her IG, and Auntie Tina, as I like to call her, tells it like it is. Her latest book takes that to a whole 'nother level, with personal stories and insights on how to push through the hurts, dramas, and fears of life. "We must learn to see lies for what they are---distortions that are not the truth---and say no to their limiting lies," she writes. "From this point forward, there is never a justifiable reason to think poorly of ourselves or speak harshly to ourselves, not for any reason, at any time, under any circumstances." Who doesn't need that extra real, cool Auntie perspective in their lives?
Some reviewers have said that this book is an appropriate read for the COVID-19 times we live in, and Jemison's book offers a suspenseful other-world version of New York that has intrigued critics from NPR to The New York Times. This piece deviates from the usual science fiction into a more "rich and generous" alternative reality that resonates in today's environment of tragic deaths, quarantines, and social distancing.
Any book featuring a central character that is a scholar making sense of the everyday struggles of being a human being and recommitting to faith is worth a try, and this one is set to intrigue. Ghanaian-American writer Yaa Ayasi adds a bit of her own background in the book, writing about a Ghanaian immigrant family in Alabama grappling with issues of depression, grief, faith, religion and love. If you're not going to pre-order, you might want to go ahead and at least put this on your Amazon wish list. This author's debut book, Homecoming landed spots on both The New York Times Best Seller and Oprah's 10 Favorite Books lists.
There are so many books out there with tips for investing, budgeting, and the like, but this book goes a bit off the beaten path and satisfies that sad wanderluster inside of of all of us. True, COVID-19 has put a boulder-sized dent in our travel plans, but it doesn't hurt to get a head-start this summer in planning that dream Africa tour or European adventure in time for summer 2021 or 2022. Along with advice, Desir shares her own stories of travel, how she was able to get over fears of not being able to afford trips and adventures of living abroad.
For all my Caribbean history and culture lovers, this is a story that takes one into the history of an industry that shaped Jamaica's economy and the link between the "mother country" and the island. It also infuses the sweet stickiness of a decades-long love story bound by folklore, colonialism, struggle and triumph. Epic, indeed.
We all know her signature voice and swag, from "You Don't Know My Name" to New York's classic anthem to her fab no-makeup movement, and this book is an extension of the Harlem-bred phenom's transitions through womanhood and self-actualization. The candid behind-the-scenes insights are intriguing enough, but the refreshing rawness of her storytelling in this book---about life, music, love, and self-confidence--- just shows why our love for Alicia Keys continues to grow. The words in this book are---like her songs---a breath of fresh air, and at the very least, you'll get inspired by a woman constantly on the glow up.
The title alone draws you in and the poetry is just as strikingly strong, assertive, and honest. Her work prompts the same deep sighs of understanding, empathy, and relatability as Ntozake Shange's classic For Colored Girls, and the subject matter features issues all women can relate to. If you don't see yourself and your own life in the words, you probably see your sister, mother, cousin or best friend.
'90 Days to C.E.O.: A Guide To Avoid Business Pitfalls And Unlock The Secrets Of Entrepreneurship' by Rochelle Graham-Campbell
It's no small feat to take $100 and build a haircare product line from your kitchen and expand into an international company with products on Target's shelves. Sharing the how-to tools and tips is an added bonus and truly a labor of love and service. Along with personal anecdotes about launching a business and tapping into the hustler and entrepreneur within, this book includes an action plan that would light a fire under the tail of anyone who dreams of becoming a self-made boss.
We can all relate to a time when we wanted a change---both in love and in career---and Nyela Barnes is both relatable and believable in her plight to find both. The blogger-focused, Internet nostalgia in this book is noteworthy, and if you've been fantasizing about that fine neighbor you never knew you had until you were forced to work from home for weeks on end, this book might spark the urge to shoot your shot. If not, you'll at least find a juicy escape into sticky drama and black love.
Featured image by Shutterstock
- Yara Shahidi - 'When They Call You A Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter ... ›
- 7 Black Feminist Reads To Help You Navigate Being Black and ... ›
- The Best Books By Black Female Writers You Should Read ... ›
- 8 Books For Black Women With Anxiety - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
- 10 Best Books for Black Women to Boss Up - xoNecole: Women's Interest, Love, Wellness, Beauty ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy