Founder of a nearly decade-old wellness practice and a radical self-care ritualista, Latham Thomas is the epitome of her namesake Glow Maven.
Her doula and lifestyle expertise have allowed her to be the go-to guru to celebrity clients like Rebecca Minkoff, Tamera Mowry, and Venus and Serena Williams. She and her services acted as a vessel of empowerment for Grammy-award-winning recording artist Alicia Keys who cited her as the woman who helped her remind her of her power and glory as a woman cultivating and bringing life into the world. She breathes life into women in an effort to help them rise from the ashes of their former selves and into the divinity of their best selves. If you haven't heard her name before, you better get familiar.
Latham Thomas is the name behind the brand Mama Glow, a lifestyle brand and website that acts as a resource for new and expectant mamas looking to lead a healthy and holistic life. MamaGlow.com is a source that mamas can use in order to be inspired, educated, and partake in holistic services.
The Columbia University graduate is the best-selling author of Mama Glow: A Hip Guide to Your Fabulous Abundant Pregnancy, a wellness guide for expecting mothers that teaches women the ins and outs of self-care principles – the biggest of which is the act of mamas taking the time to “mother themselves first". Admittedly, I'm not in the market for a doula, but Thomas in all of her doula dopeness glory appeared on my radar this past summer as she and Angela Simmons gave #glowtips throughout her pregnancy.
What resonated with me the most about Thomas, her mission, and her aura is that she can speak to all women and give us guidance in our lives on our spiritual, wellness, and physical journeys. She is devoted to appreciating the magic of the mundane things in life and practicing mindfulness. Thomas is a powerhouse of positivity that every woman deserves to be put on to. And now she is a best-selling author of a new book: Own Your Glow: A Soulful Guide to Luminous Living and Crowning the Queen Within.
We all deserve to grow and glow.
Read on and get inspired by her journey as an entrepreneur, becoming a soulful doula, becoming a mama herself, and birthing her Mama Glow brand to help keep all mothers out there glo'd up.
What sparked your interest in becoming a doula and yoga teacher?
I was led to doula care. It chose me. I was already working with many expectant mothers in my last practice, we offered nutrition, culinary support, yoga privates, and classes. Clients started asking me to attend their births because they wanted my nurturing touch to extend beyond the yoga mat into the delivery room. I had a Vedic astrology reading where the guru told me “You're supposed to mother the mother." I knew exactly what he meant—I needed to take the practice to the next level and become a doula.
I started practicing yoga in college and shortly thereafter completed my 200-hour teacher training.
When I was pregnant with my son I would attend regular yoga classes and found them to be too restorative. I wanted to develop a prenatal practice that would challenge women as they prepared their bodies and minds for the demands of labor and motherhood. So Mama Glow Yoga was born.
How does yoga play an integral part of the pregnancy journey?
A dynamic prenatal yoga practice will support your health and well-being throughout pregnancy—as well as prepare you mentally, emotionally, and physically for childbirth by building strength and flexibility in the body, a sense of well-being, and relaxing the mind. And perhaps most importantly, it helps keep you comfortable. It helps to increase blood flow and alleviates some of the discomforts associated with pregnancy.
When I was pregnant with my son, my yoga practice was my saving grace. I developed my own prenatal practice that made me feel strong and capable. I learned how to tune in to what was happening in my body and ease my mind through meditation and deep breathing. Yoga also informed my birth ritual from beginning to end. I was able to relax into my breathing techniques at the onset of contractions, and I visualized the baby moving farther down the birth canal during each contraction. I knew that every sensation was taking me closer to bringing the baby into the world.
"Birth is our rite of passage, and Mama Glow is our birthright."
What prompted you to start Mama Glow? How did you grow your following?
When I was pregnant with my son, who is now 13 years old, I noticed there was such a gap between the client and the practitioners. It was hard to find grounded, credible yet affirming information and people who would support me in the birth I dreamed of. I saw a need to celebrate the experience of pregnancy and motherhood, to elevate birth. I've been inspired since the day I gave birth to my son Fulano. Mama Glow, maternal wellness, and wellbeing isn't an interest, it's a lifestyle, a rubric to live by. I committed myself to growing a brand that served a larger purpose—to transform the way women perceive their bodies, to help women reclaim their bodies as sacred and give birth in an empowered way on their own terms. When my baby was sleeping, I would dream up ideas, write, and work on what would become Mama Glow. What started off as meet-ups in my living room and a film festival turned into a booming practice. I grew the following organically by just spreading inspiration and love, giving a peek into my world.
Our brand mantra is: “Mama Glow" is an abundant, radiant energy that comes from within. Birth is our rite of passage, and Mama Glow is our birthright—to walk in grace, power, and wisdom, to have understanding, reverence, and trust in our bodies. The act of standing in your power ignites a force within that glows from the inside out. It's a personal style that reflects confidence, beauty, radiance, and balance.
"The act of standing in your power ignites a force within that glows from the inside out."
Can you speak to the importance of minding what you put both on and in your body pre- and post-pregnancy?
It's just as important to mind what you put on your body as what you put in your body during pregnancy and postpartum. Pregnancy is the perfect time to mix it up with your beauty regimen. Pregnant clients often ask me what beauty products they should be using to cut down on their chemical exposure. What passes through your skin can potentially pass through the blood-placental barrier to your baby, so it's worth cleansing your vanity cabinet and stocking up on high-quality products. If you are intending to get pregnant, this is an essential part of the process that so many women overlook. There are countless brands out there loaded with chemicals that aren't so great for you, and certainly not good for your baby. Remember your skin is your largest organ, so you want to clean your beauty routine.
Pregnancy is a delicate process that is driven by the hormone estrogen. Common self-care and beauty products contain ingredients that disrupt the hormones and can contribute to health problems long term. We have a non-toxic pregnancy guide that you can consult to make better choices during pregnancy and with your newborn.
What's the connection between spiritual and physical wellness during pregnancies?
Your spiritual well-being is directly correlated to your physical well-being. If we are not well in body and mind, we can not be spiritually fulfilled and vice versa. Developing a spiritual practice during pregnancy is a great way to honor the sacred process underway and it helps provide fortitude for what's to come.
Does yoga during pregnancy help with postpartum depression?
Prenatal yoga helps to restore peace of mind and the meditative breathing activates the parasympathetic nervous system, which controls our stress response sending happy hormones into our bloodstream- helping to boost our mood. It can be a great tool to help mothers battling with postpartum depression. Yoga is about union, about connection, slowing down, tuning inward and choosing to engage with yourself on the deepest level, listening to your needs, and using the movement as expression.
Yoga allows us to find peace and calm when we can't calm our newborn or we're running late for a meeting. When you align your body, mind, and inner spirit above all else, you not only set the tone for your day, but your personal practice can help you support others in your life.
Featured image by Earl Gibson III/Getty Images
- Mom Crush: Latham Thomas - MiniMode ›
- THE BALANCE PROJECT | No. 161: Latham Thomas, Entrepreneur ... ›
- Self-Care Strategies for When You're Too Busy Achieving ›
- Moms at Work: Latham Thomas, Mama Glow | Career Contessa ›
- Latham Thomas Talks About Birth, Doulas & Owning Your Glow ... ›
- Latham Thomas - Beauty and Well Being ›
- Interview with Latham Thomas, Founder of Mama Glow ›
- latham thomas ›
- Moms at Work: Latham Thomas, Mama Glow | Career Contessa ›
- An Interview With Latham Thomas of Mama Glow ›
- Advisors | Movita Organics ›
- Black Girl In Om—Latham Thomas: Wellness Maven and Founder of ... ›
- Mama Glow's Founder Latham Thomas Shares Her Beauty Rituals ... ›
- Latham Thomas 'Own Your Glow' - Essence ›
- Mama Glow: A Hip Guide to Your Fabulous Abundant Pregnancy ... ›
- Life Lessons and Advice From Glow Maven Latham Thomas - Essence ›
- Own Your Glow: A Soulful Guide to Luminous Living and Crowning ... ›
- Latham Thomas (@glowmaven) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Mama Glow: Welcome ›
This article is in partnership with Sensodyne.
Our teeth are connected to so many things - our nutrition, our confidence, and our overall mood. We often take for granted how important healthy teeth are, until issues like tooth sensitivity or gum recession come to remind us. Like most things related to our bodies, prevention is the best medicine. Here are five things you can do immediately to improve your oral hygiene, prevent tooth sensitivity, and avoid dental issues down the road.
1) Go Easy On the Rough Brushing: Brushing your teeth is and always will be priority number one in the oral hygiene department. No surprises there! However, there is such a thing as applying too much pressure when brushing…and that can lead to problems over time. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in smooth, circular motions. It may seem counterintuitive, but a gentle approach to brushing is the most effective way to clean those pearly whites without wearing away enamel and exposing sensitive areas of the teeth.
2) Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste: As everyone knows, mouth pain can be highly uncomfortable; but tooth sensitivity is a whole different beast. Hot weather favorites like ice cream and popsicles have the ability to trigger tooth sensitivity, which might make you want to stay away from icy foods altogether. But as always, prevention is the best medicine here. Switching to a toothpaste like Sensodyne’s Sensitivity & Gum toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth will help build a protective layer over sensitive areas of the tooth. Over time, those sharp sensations that occur with extremely cold foods will subside, and you’ll be back to treating yourself to your icy faves like this one!
3) Floss, Rinse, Brush. (And In That Order!): Have you ever heard the saying, “It’s not what you do, but how you do it”? Well, the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. Even if you are flossing and brushing religiously, you could be missing out on some of the benefits simply because you aren’t doing so in the right order. Flossing is best to do before brushing because it removes food particles and plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. After a proper flossing sesh, it is important to rinse out your mouth with water after. Finally, you can whip out your toothbrush and get to brushing. Though many of us commonly rinse with water after brushing to remove excess toothpaste, it may not be the best thing for our teeth. That’s because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste that protects your enamel, works best when it gets to sit on the teeth and continue working its magic. Rinsing with water after brushing doesn’t let the toothpaste go to work like it really can. Changing up your order may take some getting used to, but over time, you’ll see the difference.
4) Stay Hydrated: Upping your water supply is a no-fail way to level up your health overall, and your teeth are no exception to this rule. Drinking water not only helps maintain a healthy pH balance in your mouth, but it also washes away residue and acids that can cause enamel erosion. It also helps you steer clear of dry mouth, which is a gateway to bad breath. And who needs that?
5) Show Your Gums Some Love: When it comes to improving your smile, you may be laser-focused on getting your teeth whiter, straighter, and overall healthier. Rightfully so, as these are all attributes of a megawatt smile; but you certainly don’t want to leave gum health out of the equation. If you neglect your gums, you’ll start to notice the effects of plaque buildup, which can irritate the gums and cause gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Seeing blood while brushing and flossing is a tell-tale sign that your gums are suffering. You may also experience gum recession — a condition where the gum tissue surrounding your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth. Brushing at least twice a day with a gum-protecting toothpaste like Sensodyne Sensitivity and Gum, coupled with regular dentist visits, will keep your gums shining as bright as those pearly whites.
An author by the name of Alexandra Katehakis once said this about orgasms: “Great spiritual teachers throughout the ages have stated that orgasm is the closest some people come to a spiritual experience because of the momentary loss of self. Why is this true? Because with spiritual sex, you move beyond orgasm into a connection with yourself, your partner, and the divine — recognizing them all as one.”
If it’s counterintuitive to what you’ve ever thought about orgasms, believe it or not, there are even pastors who have said that climaxing is the closest comprehension of heaven on this side of it: it is an extreme kind of bliss that is indescribable and is best experienced between two people who share a sacrificial kind of love for one another.
Although this might seem like a heavy way to intro this particular topic, because the O Method is an orgasm-achieving technique that centers around housing energy, embracing the mental practice of manifestation, and the attempt to achieve the best climaxes ever — it all works together pretty well if you ask me. If you want to take your orgasms to the next level, it’s important that you get out of yourself (to a certain extent), that you see the spiritual role that manifestation plays, and that you are open to trying new things. No doubt about it.
So, let’s learn more about what the O Method is all about and how it very well could be just what you’ve been looking for…even if you didn’t know it.
What Is the “O Method” All About?Giphy
Question: When’s the last time you’ve had an orgasm? Not just any orgasm — I mean a really mind-blowing one (I’ll give you a second to think about it). Now, what if you could manifest that experience to the point where it wasn’t a rare occurrence but something that happened almost every time that you and your partner had sex with each other? How absolutely awesome would that be?
That is pretty much what the O Method is all about — helping you achieve the kind of orgasms (and sexual pleasure, in general) that you desire through the practice of manifestation. And since your biggest sex organ is your brain, it would make perfect sense that even with all of the tips and techniques that you might learn to do as far as your body is concerned, honing in on what you think about is super imperative to sexual fulfillment, too. And that’s just where manifestation comes in.
What If You’ve Never “Manifested” Anything Before?Giphy
Before we get into a quick lesson on manifestation, I think it’s important to mention two things. One, for the cynics, there is a lot of truth in the fact that it’s got some solid spiritual basis to it because even the Good Book says that as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he (Proverbs 23:7). At the same time, that same Good Book tells us that faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26). So, while it is always a good idea to focus on good, positive, and productive thoughts, just thinking about them isn’t enough — at some point, you’ve also gotta get out here and DO something (bookmark that).
Okay, with that mini-sermon out of the way, whether it’s in the bedroom or not, manifestation is basically about focusing on something tangible that you desire, harnessing your energy in such a way that your words and actions are directed towards that longing until what you want, well, manifests. For the record, aside from this having a spiritual backing to it, in many ways, science cosigns on manifesting, too. There is actually a scientific process known as neuroplasticity that consists of reframing your mind so that your actions ultimately end up aligning with your goals — and that is another way to look at manifestation.
So, what if you’re someone who has never set out to do a manifestation practice before? No worries. Something that’s awesome about it is there are several different approaches that you can take.
Some people manifest what they want in their lives via:
- Visualization/Creating vision boards
- Writing down their desires before going to bed (so that they can “download” them into their dream state)
- Creating mantras and affirmations
- Applying the 369 Manifestation Method (you can learn more about that here)
- Learning more about what you want to manifest (which brings forth clarity)
This is important to keep in mind because, when it comes to manifesting the types of orgasms that you want to have, as you can see, you can try different manifestation methods until you find one (or ones) that you are truly comfortable with. One that can ease you into the entire process rather smoothly is something known as sex journaling.
How Sex Journaling Can Actually Help You to Have an OrgasmGiphy
As a writer, I’m a big fan of journaling. Mostly because it’s a way to get out some of your deepest thoughts and feelings so that you’re able to really process what is happening inside of you in a private setting. And when it comes to sex journaling, specifically, it’s all about centering yourself on the things sexually that you want to “unpack,” get clarity on or come to some revelations about. For instance, if there’s only been one partner from your past who’s been able to help you achieve the type of orgasms that you wish to manifest, journaling about what makes him different from the other guys can provide you with some solid ah-ha moments.
Or if you need help getting as specific as possible about the sexual experiences that you’re after, journaling can help to make that happen for you — because one thing that manifesting reminds us all to do is be as specific as possible.
Yeah, simply saying, “I want to have better sex” isn’t detailed enough when you want to get your energy to match with your desires — instead, describe how all of your senses should feel in the experience, along with why, that can get you so much closer to achieving your goal. Once those things are documented, you can segue into creating mantras and/or meditation that are based on them. Yeah, sex journaling really is an underrated superpower on a lot of levels (check out “The Art Of Sex Journaling (And Why You Should Do It)”).
5 Tips for Making the O Method Work for YouGiphy
Now that you know more about what the O Method is and how manifestation plays a direct role in its process, let’s talk about five ways to make the O Method truly effective in your own (sex) life.
1. Focus, FULLY, on your feminine energy. What do rose quartz, amethyst, moonstone (which is a Gemini birthstone as well; yes, I’m a Gemini), selenite, and rhodonite all have in common? They’re crystals that help you to go deeper into your divine feminine energy. Traits that are associated with this include compassion, creativity, kindness, gentleness, and sensuality (feminine energy is also accepting and forgiving). If you were to study energy from a biological standpoint, it’s about producing change, responding to stimuli, and having the ability to do what needs to be done (work). So, when it comes to manifesting the kind of orgasms or sexual experiences that you want, using things like your creativity and gentleness in your thoughts and actions can play a role in bringing balance to your partner’s masculinity, which can create a profound sense of pleasure — after all, opposites do attract.
2. Don’t hold back on what it is that you desire. Whenever I interview sex therapists, something that they all say is, a huge mistake that people make as far as sexual satisfaction is concerned is, they have walls up — not just with their partners but even within themselves. Sometimes, there is intimidation, fear, or even shame around what they really want to happen during sex to the point where they aren’t able to channel their energy fully in those directions in order to manifest what they want. For the O Method to work, you can’t let those types of negative emotions hinder you; the more you are able to articulate what you want and how you want it, the better chance you have of making it happen. So yes, get graphic. As graphic as possible.
3. Make manifestation a daily practice. Repetition is important when it comes to manifestation. That’s because the more you declare what you desire (a mantra), get still and think on it (meditation), or look at the “art” that you’ve created surrounding it (visualization), the quicker it becomes a part of you. So yes, make manifestation a daily practice. For instance, if one of your mantras is, “I am going to have intensely passionate orgasms, one right after the other,” don’t just state that 15 minutes before sex is going to happen. Wake up and declare it. Then say it on your lunch break. And again before turning in. The more your thoughts are “streamlined” in this way, the easier it will be for your body to follow suit.
4. Share this practice with your partner. If you were to do even more research on the O Method, one thing that most of the articles will mention is it’s a practice that you can do alone or with your partner. Indeed. However, I just want to make sure that you get into your psyche that great sex is, in part, about good communication. And so, the more comfortable you are sharing with your partner what you are doing as far as the O Method is concerned and what you ultimately want to happen as a result of the practice, the easier it will be for him to “match your energy” — both in and out of the bedroom. And when your partner is on the same page as you? That definitely increases the chances of attaining your sexual desires — exponentially so.
5. Stay in the moment. While I was reading one article on manifestation, I really appreciated something that the author said: manifestation isn’t some supernatural power. In other words, while it can be beneficial, it’s not like you can just think of something, and it instantly appears out of nowhere. Manifesting is a discipline, and it must be accompanied by action, consistency, and patience — this means that you must also practice mindfulness. Meaning, now that you know better what you’re looking to achieve as far as sex is concerned, every time that it transpires, maintain a level of positive energy, remember what your end goal is, and then determine in your mind to enjoy the moments as they come. Remember, manifestation isn’t to add stress…it’s to cultivate clarity.
At the end of the day, the O Method is simply a way of reminding you that your mind plays a huge role in your sexual pleasure, and when you channel it and your energy exactly where you want them both to go, you’ll be amazed what your body is capable of doing…and accomplishing.
So, what kind of orgasm are you wanting to achieve? You’ve got a tool to get you there. USE IT.
Let’s make things inbox official! Sign up for the xoNecole newsletter for daily love, wellness, career, and exclusive content delivered straight to your inbox.
Featured image by Giphy